New Pickups

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

wejammin
Gold Member
Gold Member

New Pickups

Postby wejammin » Tue May 15, 2018 8:16 pm

I've been away for a while, and I see with a few new guitar designs, the pickup designs have apparently changed and few, if any, older pickups still exist having been replaced with all new designs. I looked at the list of new pickups, but I don't get a feel for the sounds from the new designs, how they compare to each other, how they compare to the old line, or how they compare to competitive brands. Has any comprehensive info been published or youtubes released?

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: New Pickups

Postby spudmunkey » Tue May 15, 2018 11:01 pm

Here's a great post:
http://www.kieselguitarsbbs.com/viewtop ... =1&t=38839

Basically, they decided that they wouldn't place any more orders for the special parts needed for the 22 pole style pickups. Theories abound, but official word is low demand didn't justify keeping them around.

The new pickups are the Lithium humbuckers and single coils, Beryllium humbuckers and single coils, a new Holdsworth humbuckers set, Greg Howe Parallax bridge humbucker, and Frank Gambale neck humbucker.

Metal covers with one row of visible pole pieces are now available for at least the Lithium and Beryllium 6 and 7 string pickups, and the standard silver pole pieces can be upgraded to black or gold for an optional upcharge.

wejammin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby wejammin » Wed May 16, 2018 6:44 am

Thanks for that. I can't see whether old (Carvin) humbuckers are still offered, nor do I see Beryllium humbuckers reviewed.

If I wanted to replace stock S-22s in my SH550 with Berylliums, I'd like to know if that would be an improvement for playing traditional jazz. Are there any other recommended changes to other electronics? I also assume they will split.

I watched the youtube review on Berylliums, but can't really tell how they compare.

GuitFiddle
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby GuitFiddle » Wed May 16, 2018 7:26 am

For one reason or another, Kiesel seems pretty hush-hush on their newer pickups, or publishing data about them / making them available as a part is just low on their priority list. Keep in mind that it can take a long time for them to even show up for purchase separately, for example Berylliums aren't in the pickups section yet (unobtanium?).

To each their own, but for us classically-minded folks (read: old farts) the Berylliums have definitely piqued my interest. It seems to be the company's first concerted attempt at making something with classic voicing. Considering they were designed by Mark, I have high hopes. Looking at the specs what with the A2 mags and DC resistance, they seem to align closely to the SD Slash set which is a very good thing indeed. Appetite for Destruction character in a pickup? Sign me up. Got an SD Alinco 2 Pro in the neck of one of my guitars now, and it's pretty good...
American guitars
British Amps (mostly)
What more do you need?

dejabluguitar
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby dejabluguitar » Wed May 16, 2018 9:47 am

my take on Beryliums. They did not answer my need for smooth PAF type sound. They are lower output like a classic pup but still have that sizzle that Kiesel/Carvin pups are known for. Not that they sound bad. They arrived in a new Solo, I ended up putting them in my Aries. I put my favorite pups in that Solo, Thornbuckers, which I also have in my 1st Solo. Love em. I also have Seymour pearly gates in my blue Solo which I also like, but they rock a little harder. the neck thornbucker will absolutely do trad jazz very nicely.
my cover band http://www.dejabluband.com

my original music
http://www.soundcloud.com/montanestudio
way diffrent than my cover band

GuitFiddle
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby GuitFiddle » Wed May 16, 2018 10:54 am

That's a bit of a bummer to hear. Sizzle is for grilling meats and welding, not guitar pickups. I guess if it came down to it, I could transplant my Dimarzio 36th Anniversaries for them. They are about the best pickups I've heard to date. I do hear the Thornbuckers are stupid good too.

Say - were your Berylliums open or covered? Sometimes the covered version have a little more sweetness on top due to the eddy currents introduced by covers....
American guitars

British Amps (mostly)

What more do you need?

wejammin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby wejammin » Wed May 16, 2018 11:39 am

I'm not sure that Kiesel is heading in a direction that works for me. I love my SH550. But I'm an old school guy, and none of the new guitar designs carry any visually aesthetic appeal for me. (My next guitar will likely be fully hollow.) I like the S-22s in my SH550, but I'm looking for a more traditional humbucker sound, like the 57 Classic or Burstbucker roundness/balance and richness with somewhat improved articulation and maybe a slight P-90 edge. Time for Kiesel to commit to their pickup line and start pushing it.

GuitFiddle
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby GuitFiddle » Wed May 16, 2018 12:44 pm

You're not alone, a lot of us old school guys have a difficult time finding a place with the modern Kiesel. Luckily there are still a few offerings that aren't over-the-top modern. As far as the pickups....if I were Kiesel I would never try to dip my toe more heavily into the pickup world. The fact is that there are SO many great pickups out there, it would be hard to get a foot hold in that sphere. The resurgence of interest in vintage-sounding pickups, in particular PAF style, has created a plethora of excellent choices at all price points. It's the best time for buying pickups during my lifetime anyway.
American guitars

British Amps (mostly)

What more do you need?

wejammin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby wejammin » Wed May 16, 2018 2:31 pm

I got my SH550 in 2010, and though it is still my favorite for it's fit and playability, I'm exploring the idea of pickup replacements. As I said, it came with the stock S-22s, which I am not entirely unhappy with. Are the standard PAF designs drop-ins for the stock Carvin pickups, or will modification to fit those new pickups be required? I'd like to have the opportunity to replace Carvin pickups with Kiesels, but nobody is telling me what I want to hear. Also, what about caps, wiring, etc.? Would it be advisable to modify any of that?

dejabluguitar
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby dejabluguitar » Wed May 16, 2018 2:34 pm

GuitFiddle wrote:That's a bit of a bummer to hear. Sizzle is for grilling meats and welding, not guitar pickups. I guess if it came down to it, I could transplant my Dimarzio 36th Anniversaries for them. They are about the best pickups I've heard to date. I do hear the Thornbuckers are stupid good too.

Say - were your Berylliums open or covered? Sometimes the covered version have a little more sweetness on top due to the eddy currents introduced by covers....

my beryliums were open coil. As far as cover vs open coil, I have a set of thorns in both comfigs and both have sweet top end.
my cover band http://www.dejabluband.com

my original music
http://www.soundcloud.com/montanestudio
way diffrent than my cover band

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars