Aries - Build Questions

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

LanceTurbo

Aries - Build Questions

Postby LanceTurbo » Wed May 16, 2018 5:52 am

Gday,

Im trying to visualise some of the options in the guitar builder and would appreciate any advice.

Say I chose the following on an Aries guitar
1. Walnut Body (darker colour wood) and Swamp Ash top (lighter wood).
2. DBBEB - Deep Natural Top Wood Body Binding (For Beveled Edges - Must Order Top Wood)
3. Translucent Sapphire blue
4. RNC - Rear Natural Clear Finish

a) Would this result in a Sapphire blue top, then a lighter natural coloured strip of the swamp ash top along the camber down to edge with the darker coloured walnut body on the front of the guitar?
b) If i did not select DBBEB, all other options the same, would this simply remove the lighter coloured natural strip of swamp ash and so the Sapphire blue top edges with the natural coloured walnut body on the front of the guitar?

Hope I have explained clearly. Any advice would ne appreciated

Regards
Lance

LanceTurbo

Re: Aries - Build Questions

Postby LanceTurbo » Wed May 16, 2018 6:01 am

FYI - I just found the answer to this question. Ive tried to paste link below

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=50081&p=646345&hilit=DBBEB#p646332

Cheers

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Doctor Doug » Wed May 16, 2018 6:28 am

The bevel confuses me.

dejabluguitar
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby dejabluguitar » Wed May 16, 2018 9:49 am

LanceTurbo wrote:Gday,

Im trying to visualise some of the options in the guitar builder and would appreciate any advice.

Say I chose the following on an Aries guitar
1. Walnut Body (darker colour wood) and Swamp Ash top (lighter wood).
2. DBBEB - Deep Natural Top Wood Body Binding (For Beveled Edges - Must Order Top Wood)
3. Translucent Sapphire blue
4. RNC - Rear Natural Clear Finish

a) Would this result in a Sapphire blue top, then a lighter natural coloured strip of the swamp ash top along the camber down to edge with the darker coloured walnut body on the front of the guitar?
b) If i did not select DBBEB, all other options the same, would this simply remove the lighter coloured natural strip of swamp ash and so the Sapphire blue top edges with the natural coloured walnut body on the front of the guitar?

Hope I have explained clearly. Any advice would ne appreciated

Regards
Lance

you are correct sir
my cover band http://www.dejabluband.com

my original music
http://www.soundcloud.com/montanestudio
way diffrent than my cover band

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed May 16, 2018 10:28 am

There's one aspect that might throw a wrench in the works: can the "deep" be added to non-figured woods?

Their use of "deep" is usually in reference to the "Deep Triple Step" aka "DTS" nature of the standard trans finishes on the flamed and quilted maple tops. My understanding is that the "DBBEB" put the "deep" of "deep blue" over the whole top, and then the blue just on the very top...but since in this case, it's an ash top without a deep finish (deep finishes on non-figured woods is an option 50...I have deep wine on my ash Aries), so adding "deep" on the bevel edge might actually be more expensive, since it's introducing an extra unique color/finish into the mix that might take more tape work.

Are you doing Antique Ash under the trans blue? That might be the work around: if the whole ash top is AAT, and then just the flat top is blue. I have no idea if the AAT and the "deep" first step of the deep triple step is the same or not, though, so they might not work the same.

And now I have a headache. :wall:

LanceTurbo

Postby LanceTurbo » Thu May 17, 2018 3:23 am

Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.

What would the effect of AAT when painted over with the translucent blue?

Im unclear of what AAT is exactly but guessed it is mainly for when you wanted a natural finish as opppsed to painted

Cheers

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu May 17, 2018 10:36 am

LanceTurbo wrote:Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.

What would the effect of AAT when painted over with the translucent blue?

Im unclear of what AAT is exactly but guessed it is mainly for when you wanted a natural finish as opppsed to painted

Cheers

AAT is used under colors all the time. Lots of Aquaburst examples out there, which has blue burst edges, in case there aren't any just straight blue examples.

AAT is similar to the "deep" first step of the "deep" finishes for figured woods, in that they both seem like dark stains that are sanded back meant to enhance grain or figuring...but I'm not sure how they differ.

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars