Bring Back the Bolt +

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: Bring Back the Bolt +

Postby UnexplodedCow » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:51 am

ghostryder wrote:But if you can get a single coil in that neck position I'm putting it there... because sadly...I'm not warren Haynes :mrgreen:

One thing to note: I've done an HSS setup, with 2 x AP11 in the neck and middle positions, and wired them in series to act like a humbucker. The resulting sound was extremely similar to having a C22T in the neck position (which is a great, hot, neck 'bucker). The specs also bear this out. Overall, the AP11 is a fantastic single coil, and definitely a favorite. If you like that sound, look into either a C22T or M22N in split mode in the neck; it's the same sound. The M22N in split has a little more output, and harmonics, IMO, compared to the C22T.

The M22V gets a bit thinner/brighter, and gets into the Fender sound nicely. The M22N is just...bigger sounding, in a very good way.

If you like an even brighter pickup, honestly, short of actives or EQing, an L500R or C in the neck will be very, very bright, especially when split, and used with 500k or 1M pots. In one of my bolts, I have an R paired with an XL in the bridge, AP11 in the middle, and 1M pots. The humbuckers, with both coils on, are brighter than the AP11 (higher frequency/taller resonant peak). In split mode, I have to roll the tone back, otherwise it can get a little nuts, and the bridge gets well into Tele bridge pickup bright. If you add in an inductive tone control (kind of like a Varitone), polarity and coil split switching, and the result is a guitar that has extreme versatility. The only downside with that guitar is the 11.5 lb. weight, but it sounds like nothing else I've played.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:34 am

DWG wrote:Hi ElfDude,

What is the name of the stain/color on the bolt guitar in the center?

DWG

That's the old non-DTS Vintage Yellow.

That picture isn't a very good representation of it though.
Here are some others.

Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

ghostryder

Postby ghostryder » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:50 am

Great post unexploded Cow :D

11 pounds! It'd kill me at my age and back condition. I'm also kin to try out the lithium single coils. The Ap11 have a very posative history but everyone seems to love the lithiums. Another piece of hardware I want to try is the Hipsot Bridge. I'm in the middle about the tremolo. Not something I use a lot and even sparingly touch it playing Hendrix songs. But i'm reading it's a pretty stable tremolo and so would be nice to have. My other want is to have it champered. If I delete the bevels that'll help with the weight issue. I'd try the EVO frets if the color I pick went with them but I'll likely keep it natural with maybe an antigue ash treatment. But i am being torn on this with those downright gorgous trans colors with bursts.

The weight issue had me dumping my tube amp for a Katana artist. Never thought I'd be playing through a solid state amp but it does nicely. I haven't dumped my pedals. The Katana gives you all the Boss effects but I don't play much with presets stored in memory I got to switch to while playing. (I'm likely upgrading to a Roland Blues Cube after my guitar purchase) I just cannot lug heavy stuff long distances and as you know your doing that quite a lot in clubs or even parked in the driveway of someone's party- if you can even get that close.

I was pretty broke for a number of years but I've alway lurked on the Carvin/Kiesel site with my want list. now I'm coming out of that hole. Too late for the contour 66 on my dream list but a number of things have changed since Carvin became Kiesel I've noticed. they up'ed the build quality and are untouched in finishes. But the hardware choices have really been improved. People still say resale value is weak---not that I would sell any of my guitars no matter how broke I got- but being left handed guitars are hard to find. I regulary browse reverb and ebay--and I just don't see the resell problems with Kiesels. Most I see are pretty close to thier new costs. Compare how a fender strat depreciates I think nowadays Kiesels hold their own. For example here's an unbeveled Aries at $1500
https://reverb.com/item/10842021-kiesel ... reen-burst

That's not too far from new. And that's pretty much the norm.(note the guy made a video for that -- you can't hear anything but his overdriven effects. That drives me crazy! Let's hear the guitar!)

Great photos Elfdude!

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:27 am

Here are some pictures to the back-breaker guitar (the sapphire blue Bolt...second set down): http://www.carvinmuseum.com/collections/jay.html

I'm not the original owner of it...probably the 4th. Everyone else sold it because of weight. I use a 5" wide strap, and, while having had past back issues, I try to keep in shape and lift weights, so this really doesn't feel all that heavy to me. My V6 is 5.5 pounds, and I feel like I'm going to break it. It's also comically small on me.

I'm not one to tout the Lithiums. I had a set in my V6. The neck was pretty good, but the M22V was what I wanted. The K12B bothered my ears, and I swapped it for an M22SD. That guitar is done as far as I'm concerned. Those pickups sound great, and have tons of output, yet split well, and clean up when I roll back.

Here's a link to a thread that compared the two sets in my guitar. The playing was....less than stellar, but the idea is to concentrate on the tones (clean/dirty/filthy). Of course, there's an errant link in that for E-standard tuning on one pickup set. Somehow I missed the second set in that tuning. Anyway, this should give you an idea of neck and bridge humbuckers

http://www.kieselguitarsbbs.com/viewtop ... =1&t=47755

Lefty guitars definitely seem harder to come by. I bought my first lefty online about 8 years ago, and have had a lot/hate relationship with it, mostly due to my own frustrations at times, when trying to learn my native hand, despite playing right-handed for 20 years now (and that seems obvious given my lack of skill...always fighting my natural tendencies). Then-Carvin caught my eye for that, though I didn't have money until much later, either.

If I had to go lightweight - A V6X would be my choice, with probably an Atomic Amplifire pedal for modeling/effects, and then powered by a small power amp. Get a ported 1x12 cabinet with a neo-mag'd PA-style speaker (like an Eminence Kappalite 2512), and you'll be keeping up just fine in the volume department.

ghostryder

Postby ghostryder » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:04 pm

Great post and clips :D

Now you got me second thinking my pickup choices. My first thought was stay with that old classic sound of the S60. In general I like alcino over ceramic anyways. More things to ponder :lol:

It reminded me of this utube vid which is pretty entertaining. I'm not as bullheaded old school as he is but he does raise a lot of good points. :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cntcf_l0Dp0

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:31 pm

ghostryder wrote:Great post and clips :D

Now you got me second thinking my pickup choices. My first thought was stay with that old classic sound of the S60. In general I like alcino over ceramic anyways. More things to ponder :lol:

It reminded me of this utube vid which is pretty entertaining. I'm not as bullheaded old school as he is but he does raise a lot of good points. :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cntcf_l0Dp0

Thanks much! I hope those clips helped

That video makes me chuckle, and get slightly irritated with how he clings to the old school methods and thoughts about so much of a guitar. It's good that he knows what he likes; I think that matters more than the technical specifications, but trying to understand how/why an instrument works can also be helpful in isolating the characteristics that one likes, and how to obtain them Just one man's opinion (and they're all wrong, including this one).

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:11 am

I can think of a couple of discontinued models they have brought back. Which ones are you guys and gals aware of?
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:11 am

DC150 :stir: Sort of. :wink:

Ultra V, v220 and x220 are the only other ones I can think of off the top of my head. I suppose there was also the ST300 which is the body shape for the jb200c, and originally based on the ST body shape option for the DC line back in the day.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:40 pm

spudmunkey wrote:DC150 :stir: Sort of. :wink:

Sort of indeed! :lol: :wink:
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

ghostryder

Postby ghostryder » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:31 pm

I'd be cool with a modernization over a reissue. Sort of Like the TL60 being reimaged in the Solo. I'd be nice if they did that with the bolt. The GH3 almost does but aside from the 24 frets and the moving of the tone knob it's not really like say ... a Suhr modern. Take a reshape of the Bolt+ like was done with the Solo....losing the pick guard. I guess right now it's the unbeveled aries but that's not a model in itself but an option on a model that isn't.

Right now thanks to all the great information and input from all the awesome members of this board I think I'm settling in on an unbeveled aries, with a parallax bridge pickup and 2 ap11's -- seems I can't go wrong there and i can always swap them out if need be. Gonna be ready in a couple months money wise unless something happens like the engine blowing up in my car :ninja:

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars