Black/White Limba versus Mahogany for CS3

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

bonga_rascal

Black/White Limba versus Mahogany for CS3

Postby bonga_rascal » Fri May 18, 2018 10:31 am

Hi All,

First off, some good news. A friend of mine absolutely wanted a Gold Top Les Paul. We started talking about why he wanted one, what he liked about a Gold Top, and most importantly, what he wants in a guitar that is going to be his first 'real good guitar.'

Since he is not after the exact vintage LP tone, but a really chunky humbucker flavour tone in a singlecut guitar, I have managed to convince him to go in for a Kiesel CS3!! Plus, he can get all the custom options he wants, and a Gold Top by buying a Kiesel!

The question I have is this - what would work best for a really thick crunchy sounding two humbucker guitar? Mahogany or Black/White Limba? I have an inclination to go with magogany, but just want opinions of the folks here to see if any of the limba woods would perhaps add an interesting texture. Also, I think we'll stick to the Berellyium pickups since he's not into metal or anything like that.

Thanks!

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: Black/White Limba versus Mahogany for CS3

Postby spudmunkey » Fri May 18, 2018 10:54 am

I haven't had the opportunity to experience them in person. But, Jeff usually says that white limba is lighter and more along the lines of mahogany, while black limba is heavier and can be more like walnut.

Others can chime in with tonal advice.

For purely aesthetic considerations: are they going with a maple top and clear back and sides? Maple and white limba will have less contrast, but won't match. I think i'd personally consider either 'hog or black limba for the body, just for looks, if they are going the clear back and sides route.

bonga_rascal

Postby bonga_rascal » Fri May 18, 2018 11:01 am

Thanks spud. I'll list out the specs we're certain of:

A plain maple top finished in Gold Top
Natural Body Binding
Ebony fingerboard
Pearl Block Inlays
Ebony headstock - satin finished
Stainless steel jumbo frets
Cream rings and chrome covered pickups
Two volume and tone controls
Satin finished neck
On the fence between the rear natural clear versus a black painted back of the body

The thing we're debating is the limba versus mahogany body bit. Since Kiesel offers graphite rods with a two way truss rod, we're most likely going to stick with a one piece neck.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri May 18, 2018 11:32 am

I totally get the desire for the black. I've seen a couple builds like that and it's cool. I'd like to offer one suggestion: get the "black sides, blackburst back". From the front and sides, it'll look excactly the same, with the gold on the top going to the maple edges, then to the solid black on the sides and wrapping around to the back...but then when you look at the back, you'll see the natural wood in the middle. I have "black back and sides" on my CS6, and it's the only spec I regret...but only sometimes. :)

This is what "black sides, blackburst back" would look like:

Here's mine with just "black back and sides":

Here's a goldtop with a black back

I'd still go with clear, though, on a gold top. :)

bonga_rascal

Postby bonga_rascal » Fri May 18, 2018 1:09 pm

Thanks again Spud. Yeah Gold Top with RNC seems the way to go!

Just curious about this, if I don't select natural body binding on a Gold Top, would the sides of the top be painted gold too? I assume this to be the case RNC is default with the gold top.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri May 18, 2018 1:46 pm

That is a question I would ask a salesperson, and get in writing. They've been more loosey-goosey with the goldtop finish the last year or two, so they might actually wrap it over the edge of the top if you only select RNC. :think:

dbone
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby dbone » Fri May 18, 2018 4:41 pm

I definetly like the 3rd one with the natural top wood binding.
Here’s my Traditional headstock in ebony with satin finish.

dbones Lefties
DC150 M22T/M22V, DC150 M22SD/M22N
DC400A, K12B/K12N, DC600 M22SD/M22V, DC800 A80B/A80N
AE185 C22T/C22N/Piezo, AE185-12 H22T/H22N/Piezo
CT7M KL14B/KL14N, Bolt C22T/AP11/AP11, AC375, CL450, AC275K, SB5000 J99A pups

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Sat May 19, 2018 3:07 pm

Limba will likely be lighter than Mahogany. White Limba has less mineral inclusions, normally making it lighter, and not quite as strong.

Black can also be quite light. I had a Bolt+C with a black limba body, and that was one of the lightest guitars I've ever had.

I would only choose wood on an electric for aesthetic or weight purposes. If the CS3 is still 25" scale, it should be close enough sounding to the Gibson LP if (IMO) M series pickups are used (V or N for neck, T for bridge), or maybe a C22N/T combo, perhaps even the new Berylliums (I've not tried them). In my opinion (and experience), the wood is going to contribute less than 1% of the guitar's tone. Still, get what you like, there's no shame in having a pretty guitar, though covering good wood up under a solid color is questionably shameful :P
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars