I need some opinions for a Kiesel

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

derickn315
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: May 2018

I need some opinions for a Kiesel

Postby derickn315 » Sat May 19, 2018 5:08 pm

Hello,
I am very likely to order a Kiesel guitar this summer.
I personally do not have a lot of preferences on the look of the guitar, all I want is a comfortable, stable and very versatile coz I think that will be my only guitar for coming 5-10 years.
I will put that guitar in Hong Kong, which is a very humid place, do any neck construction, finish or wood choice will be better in this environment?
what kind of wood/what neck construction/finish or model will u guys suggest?

Also, anyone knows how much is the trans white finish and the baked maple neck treatment?
thanks

maxpower
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Posts: 371
Joined: Feb 2010

Re: I need some opinions for a Kiesel

Postby maxpower » Sun May 20, 2018 10:37 am

I am probably going to go in a different direction than most...

I have to adjust the necks of my guitars often. I have both single piece and multi piece necks. I have clear coated and tung oiled finished. Beck through, set neck and set neck through...

So, on my last build, I opted for a headless to give easier access to the truss rod adjustment. :)
CT4M, DC127, CL7

derickn315
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: May 2018

Re: I need some opinions for a Kiesel

Postby derickn315 » Sun May 20, 2018 11:07 am

maxpower wrote:I am probably going to go in a different direction than most...

I have to adjust the necks of my guitars often. I have both single piece and multi piece necks. I have clear coated and tung oiled finished. Beck through, set neck and set neck through...

So, on my last build, I opted for a headless to give easier access to the truss rod adjustment. :)

interesting, although I have look at the headless / multi scale length model, i have no idea about their benefits,
I thought I should get a neck-thru model with multiple piece neck for the most stable neck.

also, i dont have a chance to try headless, i mainly play blues / rock, is it sorta strange to use a headless as my only guitar.
Last edited by derickn315 on Sun May 20, 2018 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite
Posts: 7479
Joined: May 2010
Location: Western NC

Re: I need some opinions for a Kiesel

Postby gumbynotpokey » Sun May 20, 2018 12:03 pm

HK? Cool. I grew up there. I turned 5 there and stayed til just before age 13.

Stable neck? They say a 5 piece is most stable.

If big time nightmares are a concern, consider a bolt neck. If it's a neck through that means the axe is trash if the neck warps.
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

User avatar
MarshallTSL
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Posts: 1869
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: North Potomac, MD

Re: I need some opinions for a Kiesel

Postby MarshallTSL » Sun May 20, 2018 1:07 pm

derickn315, For maximum versatility, I'd suggest the Aries with an HSH pickup layout and Acoustic Saddles and the Hipshot trem. For the neck, I'd probably go with a 5-pc rock maple neck. Adding more laminates won't buy you a lot more warp stability or immunity from humidity changes.
IN THE OVEN: Icon 5 Quilt Spalt, Solo 6x Burl Walnut. In rotation: Aries A6X Blue Hawaii Quilt, Aries A6X Crimson Flamed Redwood, SH65 Master Grade Ziricote, TL60C Black Cherry Quilt, HH2 Claro Walnut, CT6 Deep Blue Quilt

derickn315
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: May 2018

Re: I need some opinions for a Kiesel

Postby derickn315 » Sun May 20, 2018 1:41 pm

MarshallTSL wrote:derickn315, For maximum versatility, I'd suggest the Aries with an HSH pickup layout and Acoustic Saddles and the Hipshot trem. For the neck, I'd probably go with a 5-pc rock maple neck. Adding more laminates won't buy you a lot more warp stability or immunity from humidity changes.

I was looking at the Aries too, im not sure about having a neck thru / bolt on, and which wood to pick.
I really dont use trem / middle pickup
So i'll do a tune-o-matic or the hipshot fix bridge with HH pickup
If im sure that I will do 5 piece maple + purple heart for neck thrus, but not sure on bolt-on yet.

what about body wood or finishes, any suggestion?

derickn315
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: May 2018

Re: I need some opinions for a Kiesel

Postby derickn315 » Sun May 20, 2018 1:42 pm

gumbynotpokey wrote:HK? Cool. I grew up there. I turned 5 there and stayed til just before age 13.

Stable neck? They say a 5 piece is most stable.

If big time nightmares are a concern, consider a bolt neck. If it's a neck through that means the axe is trash if the neck warps.

thanks for the suggestion, what about finish/wood choice? any ideas?

User avatar
gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite
Posts: 7479
Joined: May 2010
Location: Western NC

Re: I need some opinions for a Kiesel

Postby gumbynotpokey » Sun May 20, 2018 5:29 pm

derickn315 wrote:
gumbynotpokey wrote:HK? Cool. I grew up there. I turned 5 there and stayed til just before age 13.

Stable neck? They say a 5 piece is most stable.

If big time nightmares are a concern, consider a bolt neck. If it's a neck through that means the axe is trash if the neck warps.

thanks for the suggestion, what about finish/wood choice? any ideas?


Their gloss is completely non-sticky. I kid u not. Go with gloss for extreme weather concerns, as the neck will be sealed.
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10


Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Captjag and 16 guests