I need some opinions for a Kiesel

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

derickn315

I need some opinions for a Kiesel

Postby derickn315 » Sat May 19, 2018 5:08 pm

Hello,
I am very likely to order a Kiesel guitar this summer.
I personally do not have a lot of preferences on the look of the guitar, all I want is a comfortable, stable and very versatile coz I think that will be my only guitar for coming 5-10 years.
I will put that guitar in Hong Kong, which is a very humid place, do any neck construction, finish or wood choice will be better in this environment?
what kind of wood/what neck construction/finish or model will u guys suggest?

Also, anyone knows how much is the trans white finish and the baked maple neck treatment?
thanks

maxpower
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: I need some opinions for a Kiesel

Postby maxpower » Sun May 20, 2018 10:37 am

I am probably going to go in a different direction than most...

I have to adjust the necks of my guitars often. I have both single piece and multi piece necks. I have clear coated and tung oiled finished. Beck through, set neck and set neck through...

So, on my last build, I opted for a headless to give easier access to the truss rod adjustment. :)
CT4M, DC127, Bolt (kit), CL7

derickn315

Postby derickn315 » Sun May 20, 2018 11:07 am

maxpower wrote:I am probably going to go in a different direction than most...

I have to adjust the necks of my guitars often. I have both single piece and multi piece necks. I have clear coated and tung oiled finished. Beck through, set neck and set neck through...

So, on my last build, I opted for a headless to give easier access to the truss rod adjustment. :)

interesting, although I have look at the headless / multi scale length model, i have no idea about their benefits,
I thought I should get a neck-thru model with multiple piece neck for the most stable neck.

also, i dont have a chance to try headless, i mainly play blues / rock, is it sorta strange to use a headless as my only guitar.
Last edited by derickn315 on Sun May 20, 2018 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Sun May 20, 2018 12:03 pm

HK? Cool. I grew up there. I turned 5 there and stayed til just before age 13.

Stable neck? They say a 5 piece is most stable.

If big time nightmares are a concern, consider a bolt neck. If it's a neck through that means the axe is trash if the neck warps.
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

MarshallTSL
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby MarshallTSL » Sun May 20, 2018 1:07 pm

derickn315, For maximum versatility, I'd suggest the Aries with an HSH pickup layout and Acoustic Saddles and the Hipshot trem. For the neck, I'd probably go with a 5-pc rock maple neck. Adding more laminates won't buy you a lot more warp stability or immunity from humidity changes.
CT6 Deep Blue Quilt, HH2 Claro, TL60C Black Cherry Quilt, Master Grade Ziricote SH65, Aries A6X Flamed Redwood Top AND an Aries A6X Red Candy Quilt In The Oven!!!

derickn315

Postby derickn315 » Sun May 20, 2018 1:41 pm

MarshallTSL wrote:derickn315, For maximum versatility, I'd suggest the Aries with an HSH pickup layout and Acoustic Saddles and the Hipshot trem. For the neck, I'd probably go with a 5-pc rock maple neck. Adding more laminates won't buy you a lot more warp stability or immunity from humidity changes.

I was looking at the Aries too, im not sure about having a neck thru / bolt on, and which wood to pick.
I really dont use trem / middle pickup
So i'll do a tune-o-matic or the hipshot fix bridge with HH pickup
If im sure that I will do 5 piece maple + purple heart for neck thrus, but not sure on bolt-on yet.

what about body wood or finishes, any suggestion?

derickn315

Postby derickn315 » Sun May 20, 2018 1:42 pm

gumbynotpokey wrote:HK? Cool. I grew up there. I turned 5 there and stayed til just before age 13.

If big time nightmares are a concern, consider a bolt neck. If it's a neck through that means the axe is trash if the neck warps.

thanks for the suggestion, what about finish/wood choice? any ideas?

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Sun May 20, 2018 5:29 pm

derickn315 wrote:
gumbynotpokey wrote:HK? Cool. I grew up there. I turned 5 there and stayed til just before age 13.

thanks for the suggestion, what about finish/wood choice? any ideas?

Their gloss is completely non-sticky. I kid u not. Go with gloss for extreme weather concerns, as the neck will be sealed.
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars