Color help on mahogany - honeyburst, sunsetburst, orangeburst...

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

GuitFiddle
Carvinite
Carvinite

Color help on mahogany - honeyburst, sunsetburst, orangeburst...

Postby GuitFiddle » Mon May 21, 2018 7:42 am

If I go through with a build, I'm trying to decide which color to put over mahogany. At one point, there were color descriptions of the finishes....e.g., 'black edges with a vintage yellow center', but those descriptions are gone. The real issue is that if you perform a search on two colors, say sunsetburst and honeyburst, there is enough normal variation and overlap between the two that you can often not tell the difference even on the same woods. So the questions...

1) What exactly is the actual difference between sunsetburst and honeyburst? Difference in edge colors? Yellow vs honey center? Impossible to tell from photos...

2) Orangeburst - what is the edge color of this? There's only a few in the archives, and they seem to vary between a darker brown/orange edge and a black edge. No idea what to expect with this one.

I usually love guitar finishes named after libations and food - creme brulee, bourbon, iced tea burst, lemon drop....I can't eat the sunset so who knows, but honey tastes good. I guess orange could be a food too. But I'm also about half color blind when it comes to certain browns and greens....hard to tell when my salad is going bad.
American guitars
British Amps (mostly)
What more do you need?

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: Color help on mahogany - honeyburst, sunsetburst, orangeburst...

Postby spudmunkey » Mon May 21, 2018 9:24 am

GuitFiddle wrote:1) What exactly is the actual difference between sunsetburst and honeyburst? Difference in edge colors? Yellow vs honey center? Impossible to tell from photos...

I've not had the opportunity to A-B them, but there's one common theme when it comes to the honeyburst: The edges seem to photograph much more "red" than they appear in person. In fact, at some point in the not-too-distant past, there was a "trans brown burst" finish option listed somewhere, and it was said that it was the edge burst color from the Honeyburst finish. In my head, they seem like they both start out at the same color in the middle, and then the edges are either reddish (Sunset Burst) or brown-ish (Honeyburst). I can't say this for certain, though. The issue with the photography is similar with Trans Aquaburst and Trans Nightburst. In my photos, the purple burst of the nightburst looks so blue, as to be indistinguishable from the Aquaburst in photos, and everyone says that it's more purple in person.

GuitFiddle wrote:2) Orangeburst - what is the edge color of this? There's only a few in the archives, and they seem to vary between a darker brown/orange edge and a black edge. No idea what to expect with this one.

This is a tricky one. It switched back and forth over the years between a reddish and opaque blackburst edges. I BELIEVE the current version is the finish is the more dark reddish burst, and then you can add blackburst edges (or maybe it replaces the red if you request it? :wall: )

GuitFiddle wrote:hard to tell when my salad is going bad.

Meh, it's good, even if it's ugly, until it smells bad. :lol:

GuitFiddle
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby GuitFiddle » Tue May 22, 2018 7:13 am

Thanks Spud, pretty much confirmed what I was thinking. Honeyburst is probably the safest overall bet in my mind, but I'm afraid that with a rosewood board it'll be too much 'none more brown'. Despite a bit of twitchiness over the idea, I think I'll go orangeburst. To my eyes it looks pretty good on mahogany and will offset some of the brown-ness.

I'm on board with the sniff test. It has saved my gastrointestinal tract on countless occasions over the years. Trying to dress myself with greens and browns is another story...I'd end up looking like Shaggy every day.
American guitars

British Amps (mostly)

What more do you need?

brewbuck72

Postby brewbuck72 » Thu May 24, 2018 7:15 am

Don't know if this will help you or not but here is a picture of my sunset burst over mahogany. As mentioned above, getting a photo to accurately reflect what it looks like in reality is very difficult. Heck, even holding it in my hands it varies quite a bit depending on the lighting.

The edges are pretty much brown but the center is a nice reddish/orange.

2007CarvinBolt2-1.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GuitFiddle
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby GuitFiddle » Thu May 24, 2018 11:06 am

Thanks for the pic....that does actually help. Looks great BTW!
American guitars

British Amps (mostly)

What more do you need?

dbone
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby dbone » Thu May 24, 2018 9:06 pm

So... now dbone quietly contemplates sunset burst over mahogany top on a SH550.
dbones Lefties
DC150 M22T/M22V, DC150 M22SD/M22N
DC400A, K12B/K12N, DC600 M22SD/M22V, DC800 A80B/A80N
AE185 C22T/C22N/Piezo, AE185-12 H22T/H22N/Piezo
CT7M KL14B/KL14N, Bolt C22T/AP11/AP11, AC375, CL450, AC275K, SB5000 J99A pups

GuitFiddle
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby GuitFiddle » Fri May 25, 2018 9:52 am

dbone wrote:So... now dbone quietly contemplates sunset burst over mahogany top on a SH550.

Classy, understated, beautiful...a lost art in a sea of 'silicone and botox' guitars. Do it.
American guitars

British Amps (mostly)

What more do you need?

GuitFiddle
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby GuitFiddle » Thu May 31, 2018 6:52 am

Once again, IF it ever happens again, it will have to wait. Just spent the purchase price on a new fork and wheelset for my mountain bike, it needed it badly.

On a related note though, I have decided it won't be orangeburst when the time comes. Too much of a wild card.
American guitars

British Amps (mostly)

What more do you need?

ToneWood

Postby ToneWood » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:32 am

Just to help a little, I recently bought a 2nd hand FG in honeyburst. It's definitely on the brownish side rather than reddish. (I would have preferred the latter, but I couldn't resist the 2nd hand price.)

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars