Tuning to D, capo on 2nd fret of a 24 fret 25.5" scale guitar=22 fret 24" scale guitar tuned to E?

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

timothycoyle

Tuning to D, capo on 2nd fret of a 24 fret 25.5" scale guitar=22 fret 24" scale guitar tuned to E?

Postby timothycoyle » Wed May 23, 2018 8:31 pm

Hey All,

I am really interested in the Osiris model, however I have some physical disabilities that make reaching the frets towards the nut on a 25.5" scale guitar very painful and I dislike 24 fret guitars neck pickup tone so I always stick with 22 fret guitars. I had read a thread on another forum that said that if you take a 25.5" scale 24 fret guitar, tune it to D standard and put a capo on the 2nd fret the result is similar to a 24" scale 22 fret guitar tuned to E standard. Although the inlays would be in the wrong positions.

Is this a feasible idea? I would love to be able to play a Kiesel they look like awesome guitars and the Carvin CT and DC I have been able to try over the years were memorably good.

Also will Kiesel omit side dots as an option 50 extra charge? If my capo Idea works my thought was to get the no fretboard inlay option and then for the side dots get some side dot inlay stickers off and put them where they should be for a 22 fret guitar. That way if I ever have to sell it I can just get another set of inlay stickers and place them in the right spot.

Thanks for your thoughts guys.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: Tuning to D, capo on 2nd fret of a 24 fret 25.5" scale guitar=22 fret 24" scale guitar tuned to E?

Postby spudmunkey » Wed May 23, 2018 9:16 pm

I bet they would do the no-side-dots. Or if they won't do *no* dots, ask for a left-handed fretboard so at least the dots would be on the bottom. Ha!

As far as the pickup location, I'm not convinced. Sure there's the whole "node" thing, but that never made sense to me because the node moves the moment you fret a note. But in my mind the "magic" of the pickup location of a 22-fret guitar would come from the actual distance (not just the % of the overall scale) from the bridge. I know it's not the same thing, but
if you pick 1" from the bridge, it'll still sound bright and pingy no matter your tuning or capo location even though if you put a capo on the 24th fret and that 1" is now a larger % of the overall scale.

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars