Vader vs. Zeus opinions

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Brian Johnston
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Vader vs. Zeus opinions

Postby Brian Johnston » Mon May 28, 2018 10:53 am

I have a Vader VM7. Curious to know the differences with the Zeus... neck, playability... I think they're the same pickups unless you ask for different. Not like I need another guitar, but I like the looks of the Zeus.

dbone
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: Vader vs. Zeus opinions

Postby dbone » Tue May 29, 2018 5:19 pm

Well I would go for the Zeus just cause you already have a Vader
dbones Lefties
DC150 M22T/M22V, DC150 M22SD/M22N
DC400A, K12B/K12N, DC600 M22SD/M22V, DC800 A80B/A80N
AE185 C22T/C22N/Piezo, AE185-12 H22T/H22N/Piezo
CT7M KL14B/KL14N, Bolt C22T/AP11/AP11, AC375, CL450, AC275K, SB5000 J99A pups

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue May 29, 2018 5:31 pm

Without having them in-hand, the biggest difference is that the Zeus is bolt-on, and because the strap button isn't as far out since it's a single cut, the body will tend to want to hang very slightly more towards your fretting hand. Some will find that it brings the bridge to a more comfortable position, while others might find that the nut ends up slighty further away and less comfy.

Because the Vader is neck-through, it's more likely to be heavier depending on the woods. Neck woods are generally heavier, and with a neck-through, there's more "neck" there. Not a huge difference, but...

I tend to find the Aries-style body bevel to be a little more comfortable than "drop top" style, but it's not a huge difference.

Lastly, aesthetics. On the zeus, you can play more with the bevel and layering finishes. I suppose you can too on the Vader, but you see so much less of the bevel and body wood if you try to go that route...but on the Vader, you can make it so you see the neck wood on the front, which you can't do on the bolt-on. Also, the Zeus can get a one-piece body which isn't possible on the Vader.

Hmm...what else... :think:

Again, this is all just from comparing them "on paper", not in my hands.

Brian Johnston
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Brian Johnston » Wed May 30, 2018 3:58 am

dbone wrote:Well I would go for the Zeus just cause you already have a Vader

I didn't want to invest the money if the playability and sound are pretty much the same. I tend to play seated (in a home studio), and so balance or how it sets when standing is not an issue). Thanks for replies so far.

GuitFiddle
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby GuitFiddle » Wed May 30, 2018 8:28 am

Conventional wisdom, as well as my own experiences and those of countless other players, is that they aren't going to sound the same simply due to the inherent differences in neck-thru and bolt-on construction. All else being equal (and it never is), the neck-thru should have a more fundamental tone, less dynamic sensitivity, fewer overtones and harmonic complexity, and less of any of the defining qualities of 'classic' instruments we know and love (pop, bloom, whatever it is and whatever you want to call it). That's not necessarily a bad thing, it just is what it is. A bolt-on is going to introduce some other sonic characteristics, typically more dynamic sensitivity and attack, and some additional overtones/complexity.

How much any of this applies more specifically to small, lightweight, headless instruments - I have no idea, as i have no experience with them.
American guitars
British Amps (mostly)
What more do you need?

dbone
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby dbone » Wed May 30, 2018 9:45 am

There’s some zeus youtube videos by people who own vader’s and they seem to like Zeus just fine
dbones Lefties
DC150 M22T/M22V, DC150 M22SD/M22N
DC400A, K12B/K12N, DC600 M22SD/M22V, DC800 A80B/A80N
AE185 C22T/C22N/Piezo, AE185-12 H22T/H22N/Piezo
CT7M KL14B/KL14N, Bolt C22T/AP11/AP11, AC375, CL450, AC275K, SB5000 J99A pups

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars