spit coil humbucker switching

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

johnnyninja
Gold Member
Gold Member

spit coil humbucker switching

Postby johnnyninja » Mon May 28, 2018 11:01 am

I have an HH2x with a coil splitter. I can’t seem to find this info anywhere, but I’m wondering if the split coil switching activates the inside or outside coils?

ElfDude

Re: spit coil humbucker switching

Postby ElfDude » Mon May 28, 2018 6:06 pm

Except for the FG model, the company usually defaults to the inner coils.

You can find out for sure by putting it in simple coil mode and gently tapping the magnets with a screwdriver and listening to the taps through your amp.
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

johnnyninja
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby johnnyninja » Mon May 28, 2018 6:47 pm

Thanks for the reply. Tapping either side sounds pretty much the same. It does seem to sound like inner coils to me. I’d just like to be sure.

ToneWood

Postby ToneWood » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:34 am

ElfDude wrote:Except for the FG model, the company usually defaults to the inner coils.

You can find out for sure by putting it in simple coil mode and gently tapping the magnets with a screwdriver and listening to the taps through your amp.

Can I change my FG1 to inner coils?

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:03 pm

ToneWood wrote:
ElfDude wrote:Except for the FG model, the company usually defaults to the inner coils.

If you're handy with a soldering iron, sure. 8)
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100

ToneWood

Postby ToneWood » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:22 am

ElfDude wrote:
ToneWood wrote:

I'm not :| Might there be a diagram anywhere? My repair guy thought it had to be one outside (screw) and one inside (slug). It came with neck screw and bridge slug. I had him change it to neck slug and bridge screw, but now it's a bit too bright (harsh). I'm trying to approximate that in-between strat sound when both splits are on, like on the PRS.

ps - I wonder why the FG is different.

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:14 am

ToneWood wrote:
ElfDude wrote:
ToneWood wrote:

I'm not :| Might there be a diagram anywhere? My repair guy thought it had to be one outside (screw) and one inside (slug). It came with neck screw and bridge slug. I had him change it to neck slug and bridge screw, but now it's a bit too bright (harsh). I'm trying to approximate that in-between strat sound when both splits are on, like on the PRS.

Yes! There's a diagram right here:
https://www.kieselguitars.com/manuals/Pickup_Wiring.pdf

The FG1 is different because Frank Gambale requested it to be. 8)

ToneWood

Postby ToneWood » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:33 am

ElfDude wrote:
ToneWood wrote:
ElfDude wrote:
ToneWood wrote:

Yes! There's a diagram right here:
https://www.kieselguitars.com/manuals/Pickup_Wiring.pdf

The FG1 is different because Frank Gambale requested it to be. 8)

Hey thanks. Pardon my ignorance, but which diagram should I be looking at?

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:59 am

Figure 1 and Figure 2 will show your tech which wires determine if the inner or outer coil is the one used when split.

ToneWood

Postby ToneWood » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:30 pm

ElfDude wrote:Figure 1 and Figure 2 will show your tech which wires determine if the inner or outer coil is the one used when split.

Thanks bud. I wonder why they seem to recommend using a different coil for the two pickups, rather than the same.

wickid
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby wickid » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:04 pm

ToneWood wrote:
ElfDude wrote:Figure 1 and Figure 2 will show your tech which wires determine if the inner or outer coil is the one used when split.

Thanks bud. I wonder why they seem to recommend using a different coil for the two pickups, rather than the same.

Hum cancelling, when used together.
The coils are N / S and N / S, so opposite polarity is used for RWRP.
Proud Carvin owner since 1985! My Carvin gear time capsule...

Dont miss the purple CT6!
(Any photobucket links are probably now broken. Grrrrrr!!!)

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars