Replacement Cover Screws

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

nervous

Replacement Cover Screws

Postby nervous » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:10 pm

Can anyone tell me how to get some replacement rear cavity cover screws? The small, short, black,flat head, Philips, screws that go into the brass inserts. I messaged the company two days ago with no response. I have also been trying to ID their size and seem to be a 3.5mm x 3mm (.6 pitch) which are impossible to find in my internet searching. I can't be the only guy missing one...

For a 2009 CS6M if that helps.

Thank you

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: Replacement Cover Screws

Postby Doctor Doug » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:17 pm

Call up the Kiesel guys. They'll probably help you out.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:40 pm

Huh...even my go-to, McMaster-Carr, doesn't seem to carry that size.

I have always had bad luck with measuring screws or holes, even with a digital caliper. I end up taking the screw to the hardware store, and testing the screw in their wall-mounted fixtures that have a bunch of sizes of screws and holes (I wish I could find a portable version of that..like...on a key ring, ,or something) and I'm almost always off from my measurement.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:33 pm

I'm unsure what it is, but probably a metric style thread. I know that it's the same screw diameter and thread pitch as the screws used for adjusting their bezel-mounted humbucker pickups.

EDIT: I'm wrong. Just matched it to a Strat saddle intonation screw, which is 4/40 thread. Now you just need the phillips design with flat/beveled head, and the proper length of (blind guess based on memory) about 1/8".

2nd EDIT: Boom: here are some on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Thread-Rolling-F ... 2F40+black
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:49 pm

In case you haven't ordered yet, I *believe* these will be more nicely finished. Still black oxide (not black painted or powdercoated/plated) like the amazon ones, and they will cost a little more with shipping, but the screw pictured in that Amazon link looked a bit rough.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#96640a050/=1d67vrk

I think that link is the same size, at least, assuming you're counting the countersink portion in your 1/8" length mention above:

nervous

Postby nervous » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:33 pm

Thank all for the info. I have some old small threaded inserts I used in some past guitar and I wrote"4-40' on that so that may not be a metric thread after all. The Carvin screw does thread nicely into that insert.

I am going to head to a local hardware store soon to try to positively ID the size. 3.5mm is odd I agree but I only ended up there based on the tread pitch I measured with a metric gauge I have. If I get stuck I will call at some point as well.

Half hoping that someone has one or two in the parts bin they would sell to me...

nervous

Postby nervous » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:02 pm

To put a closing point on this one I have finally found a suitable, readily available aftermarket black screw for this purpose. For starters I had confirmed that the cover threaded inserts are indeed 4-40 and found silver zinc version at the local Ace. That could have been the end of the story, not wanting or needing to but 50 or 100pc where 8 would do, nor did I want to spend $7.00+ to ship $1.00 worth of hardware. But I then stumbled on these on eBay. Apparently they're used for RC Model cars and such. If you have a toy and hobby shop locally you're in for a couple bucks.

Duratrex DTCX8630
https://www.hobbytown.com/machine-screw ... 30/p643254

The 4-40-1/4" length version was the perfect size, nicely finished and if I didn't tell you you'd never look twice at them from what originally came on the guitar. So if anyone gets fat fingered and loses one in the shop abyss I hope you find this information helpful.

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars