Using cables on guitar with two outputs (piezo and humbuckers)

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Brian Johnston
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Using cables on guitar with two outputs (piezo and humbuckers)

Postby Brian Johnston » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:13 am

I have the LMP7 Kiesel, which has two outputs... one from the humbucker pickups and the other for the piezo pickups in the bridge. I'm presuming that it uses (can use) a Y connector type cable... two 1/4-inch males that merge together with a 1/4-inch female at the end (to then connect a longer cable)... or one long cable with a Y at one end in order to plug into the guitar's two outputs and then to your pedal board. I could be wrong on that, but I'm thinking if the guitar plugs into all the same gear that has only one input (not stereo) that is how it could work. I understand that you could have the two cables running to two amps or two of 'something,' but I'm confirming the cable method mentioned above would work.

Jack'O'Licious
Links/Contact:

Re: Using cables on guitar with two outputs (piezo and humbuckers)

Postby Jack'O'Licious » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:48 am

Interesting, I have never thought of that. Given the fact that the current Piezo system already lets you blend signals between regular pickups and the Piezo, I'm not sure there would be a point to this method. Whether or not it works I couldn't answer but I am curious anyway lol.
Kiesel's:
2017 DCM8, 2016 A7H

Other's:
Cheap Peavey Strat, Jackson Dinky 7 with BKP Juggernauts, 2017 Dingwall NG-2 5 string, 2017 Warwick RB Corvette 6 string

Brian Johnston
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Brian Johnston » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:52 am

That does make sense. I suppose the only purpose for the second output would be to go to a second amp or its own selection of pedals. Therefore, two different chords.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:10 am

The system is set up to give you two options:

[1]The easy method: both outputs are blended, and you just got through your pedals or amp, and both sounds go through the same mono signal. If all you've got is your one amp, this will work...but it's not going to give you the best sound it is capable of.

[2]The 2-cable method (which you could use a "single cable" as long as it had two plugs on each end...so really two cables, fuzed together. When you plug in the 2nd cable, the piezo's signal is split off. This lets you sent your magnetic pickups to your 5150666 Fireball Dragon Deathstar high-gain amp, while the piezo can go into a PA, or an amp for an acoustic guitar for the best possible "acoustic" sound. It's a little bit more cumbersome, but the couple times I've used a similar system, I just added a 2nd tuner pedal and placed it next to my main pedal board. That way both cables are travelling in the same direction for the same distance to roughly the same place, and then the output cables split off from there...plus then I have a tuner/mute pedal for the acoustic. The seperate piezo output in the guitar is only activated when there's already a cable plugged into the first blended output. When you plug in that 2nd cable, the piezo should be removed from that original output, and sent through the 2nd...otherwise that 2nd output should be mute.

In either scenario, no stereo or Y cables are needed.
Last edited by spudmunkey on Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:33 am, edited 3 times in total.

Brian Johnston
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Brian Johnston » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:24 am

Thanks for the clarification.

ToneWood
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ToneWood » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:34 pm

Jack'O'Licious wrote:Interesting, I have never thought of that. Given the fact that the current Piezo system already lets you blend signals between regular pickups and the Piezo, I'm not sure there would be a point to this method. Whether or not it works I couldn't answer but I am curious anyway lol.

Is that true? Can you do that (one-jack blend) on an SH575?

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:11 pm

ToneWood wrote:
Jack'O'Licious wrote:Interesting, I have never thought of that. Given the fact that the current Piezo system already lets you blend signals between regular pickups and the Piezo, I'm not sure there would be a point to this method. Whether or not it works I couldn't answer but I am curious anyway lol.

That might be a bit different with the SH575's synth access system.

If it's what I'm thinking of, but I can't say for sure, I believe this is something it can't do out of the box, but can be modified somehow by adding a jumper, or something like that. I don't remember the specifics or even if it's what I'm thinking about. :think: I could be way off, though!

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:13 pm

Just found this post from someone I remember having a lot of experience and knowledge about the synth access guitars systems:

Folkie wrote:Note that unlike the AE185, with the SH575 you can't blend the piezo and mag pickup signals from the guitar -- they can be blended using the 13-pin connector and a synth controller, or you can use separate cables for the mag and piezo signals.

Jack'O'Licious
Links/Contact:

Postby Jack'O'Licious » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:54 pm

ToneWood wrote:

I'm sorry I didn't think about that, I was thinking of my Aries with the Piezo.
Kiesel's:
2017 DCM8, 2016 A7H

Other's:
Cheap Peavey Strat, Jackson Dinky 7 with BKP Juggernauts, 2017 Dingwall NG-2 5 string, 2017 Warwick RB Corvette 6 string

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars