What are the top wood options for the Zeus Acoustic?

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

bokkyo

Postby bokkyo » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:57 pm

First time poster...

From pictures and shop walkthrough videos we've seen Engelmann spruce, flamed maple, koa and black limba... I haven't seen a picture of a Zeus acoustic with a cedar top but that should also work.

Asking the opposite: wood that will NOT work as a Zeus acoustic top, I would assume include buckeye burl, anything with resin, what else?

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: What are the top wood options for the Zeus Acoustic?

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:12 pm

Spruce is standard. Cedar is the other standard option, and I *believe* it's available as a no-charge option, but I'm not 100% on that.

All other options are going to be non-standard, and waive your 10-day trial period...at least for now. I suspect if the model has sustained popularity, and a large number of people are doing upgraded woods, that they would at least consider opening it up to move woods that would still retain the 10-day trial period (and with any of those types of options, the guitars still retain their full manufacturer's warranty...you just con't get to decide on say 9 that you just don't like it, and return it).

The model also comes standard with a mahogany body and neck, and again, anything else is considered "off menu" for this model. It comes standard in satin, but then they also have an "acoustic" finish available for $50 (I don't know what that finish actually is, and the few times I asked on FB, nobody but Jeff seems to know. Ha!). Anything else (Gloss, Tung, or Raw Tone) would be also "off menu" for this specific model.

I believe they could use Buckeye (or maybe it was one of the other burled woods), but it would need to be a thicker top, which Jeff mentioned that he *thought* they could do as a special request. :think:

dbone
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby dbone » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:47 pm

I kind of figured the “acoustic finish” was basically a ultra thin finish that still gets the pores filled in. like raw tone smooth.
dbones Lefties
DC150 M22T/M22V, DC150 M22SD/M22N
DC400A, K12B/K12N, DC600 M22SD/M22V, DC800 A80B/A80N
AE185 C22T/C22N/Piezo, AE185-12 H22T/H22N/Piezo
CT7M KL14B/KL14N, Bolt C22T/AP11/AP11, AC375, CL450, AC275K, SB5000 J99A pups

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:28 pm

I suppose it's something like that... I wonder if it's anything like what is used on some Seagull acoustic models, or maybe the Martin Backpacker?

bokkyo

Postby bokkyo » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:10 am

Thanks for the replies. When it comes to cedar (or other regular woods used for acoustic guitars in general, e.g. koa, redwood) I have no doubt. But with buckeye burl, while I seem to remember Jeff saying something like it may be done on request, not sure if the acoustic qualities of the ZA are helped by that type of wood. Then again, we never know until we see/hear.

Last 6/13 we saw a "top of the week" that Jeff called a "chocolate" flamed maple and would be appropriate for a ZA for sure, am a bit surprised no one jumped on it...

Screen Shot 2018-06-23 at 10.02.41 AM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dbone
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby dbone » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:03 pm

buckeye is more like cork and not very structurally strong ( or resonant ) and is probably better suited for a full glue down electric top.
The acoustic properties in order from best to worst would in my opinion be “Loosely” as follows
1. red cedar or spruce
2. koa, redwood or mahogany
3. white or black limba
4. flamed maple or walnut
5. poplar burl, maple burl or spalt, buckeye burl

by the way that chocolate flamed maple looks pretty awesome
dbones Lefties
DC150 M22T/M22V, DC150 M22SD/M22N
DC400A, K12B/K12N, DC600 M22SD/M22V, DC800 A80B/A80N
AE185 C22T/C22N/Piezo, AE185-12 H22T/H22N/Piezo
CT7M KL14B/KL14N, Bolt C22T/AP11/AP11, AC375, CL450, AC275K, SB5000 J99A pups

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars