Johnny Hiland Signature Guitar

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

rYche
Carvinite
Carvinite

Johnny Hiland Signature Guitar

Postby rYche » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:56 am

https://www.kieselguitars.com/catalog/guitars/jh6

My big question is why so much more than the regular solo? No traditional ashtray bridge?

Looks cool though :)

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: Johnny Hiland Signature Guitar

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:18 am

Well, it comes standard with an ash body upgrade, as well as a selection of finishes that I believe are $200... Don't quote me on that... But I see Scarlet in the list, and I thought that was one that was at least $200. Also it has the black acrylic diamonds, which are also an upgrade, bird's-eye maple fretboard and headstock, as well as Johnny's signature pickups which sell for $250 per set, likely $100 (likely more) mroe than what Kiesel would sell their lithium single coil pickups for a set of 3.

I got $1,354 not including at least another $100 for pickups to put it within $155 (or less) of the JH6, and that is assuming I did not miss any specs when I priced out the solo and assumes these same finishes would be $200 on a solo.

The interesting thing to me is that this model comes standard with the raw tone finish, and yet retains the 10-day trial. That is not available on any other build with a Raw tone finish.

edit: It also comes with Dunlop 250k Super Pots, so I'm sure that's a bit of an upcharge. Also, I missed that it comes with the silver drop-shadow logo ($30) and the ivory colored nut ($5) and the 10" radius ($40). So if the difference was $155, it's now down to $80 difference (without taking into account the Dunlop pots, as I have no idea if that's even an upcharge), and that also includes the Johnny Hiland signature truss rod cover (whether that has worth to you or not would depend on why you're buying the Johnny Hiland signature model in the first place).
Last edited by spudmunkey on Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:18 am, edited 5 times in total.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:56 am

spudmunkey wrote:row tone finish

Row, row, row your tone, gently down the finish.....
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:17 am

UnexplodedCow wrote:
spudmunkey wrote:row tone finish

Row, row, row your tone, gently down the finish.....

I posted that from my phone using voice-to-text. I changed the other two instances from "rotten" and "wrought own" before posting...but it looks like I missed one. :lol:

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:21 am

At least I didn't quote you on the other info that you said not to quote you on...

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:32 am

Facebook live video of Johnny talking about his new signature model from NAMM:

https://www.facebook.com/kieselguitars/videos/2117479158535375/

amispy
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby amispy » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:38 am

Guess I'm conforming to the guitar theorem:
G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

I just called in my order for a Johnny Hiland scarlet red with KTB baked board/headstock. Can't wait to get it!
:-)
'86 DC200, '87 V220T, '90 LB75, '96 AE185, '05 C750T, '07 V220M, '14 V59K, '14 DC7X x2, '15 PB5, '17 A6H, '17 AB5, '17 V59K, '17 KV6X, '18 JH6, '18 A6H

rYche
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby rYche » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:45 am

Really starting to dig this guitar.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:59 am

amispy wrote:Guess I'm conforming to the guitar theorem:
G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

I just called in my order for a Johnny Hiland scarlet red with KTB baked board/headstock. Can't wait to get it!
:-)

Sweet! Just like Johnny's. :) What drew you to this specific model over the Solo?

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:04 am

Hah! I knew the theorem would be useful to someone :D

I do have one burning question about that live session: Why in the world haven't they replaced the Lee McKinney guitar with a special option package for an Osiris? It makes sense....

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:05 am

UnexplodedCow wrote:Hah! I knew the theorem would be useful to someone :D

I do have one burning question about that live session: Why in the world haven't they replaced the Lee McKinney guitar with a special option package for an Osiris? It makes sense....

I mean...does he actually play one? :wink:

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:08 am

spudmunkey wrote:
UnexplodedCow wrote:Hah! I knew the theorem would be useful to someone :D

I mean...does he actually play one? :wink:

OOOH! That's a burn. I'm sure the guy plays something, despite some disparaging remarks against his playing (Lee, not Johnny Hiland, of whom I've never heard).

ghostryder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ghostryder » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:43 pm

Nice to see after trying 2 other guitar companies Johnny finally gets his own sig model. With his sig pickups and pots---Kiesel made sure he did not have to compromise on anything. It should be a huge success.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:17 am

spudmunkey wrote:Well, it comes standard with an ash body upgrade, as well as a selection of finishes that I believe are $200... Don't quote me on that... But I see Scarlet in the list, and I thought that was one that was at least $200. Also it has the black acrylic diamonds, which are also an upgrade, bird's-eye maple fretboard and headstock, as well as Johnny's signature pickups which sell for $250 per set, likely $100 (likely more) mroe than what Kiesel would sell their lithium single coil pickups for a set of 3.

I got $1,354 not including at least another $100 for pickups to put it within $155 (or less) of the JH6, and that is assuming I did not miss any specs when I priced out the solo and assumes these same finishes would be $200 on a solo.

The interesting thing to me is that this model comes standard with the raw tone finish, and yet retains the 10-day trial. That is not available on any other build with a Raw tone finish.

edit: It also comes with Dunlop 250k Super Pots, so I'm sure that's a bit of an upcharge. Also, I missed that it comes with the silver drop-shadow logo ($30) and the ivory colored nut ($5) and the 10" radius ($40). So if the difference was $155, it's now down to $80 difference (without taking into account the Dunlop pots, as I have no idea if that's even an upcharge), and that also includes the Johnny Hiland signature truss rod cover (whether that has worth to you or not would depend on why you're buying the Johnny Hiland signature model in the first place).

One correction: it turns out that the Scarlet finish, which I thought was $200 on other models but standard on this one is in fact still $200 on this model... So the difference between the comparably equipped solo is looking to be closer to 250 to $280.

amispy
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby amispy » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:42 am

spudmunkey wrote: One correction: it turns out that the Scarlet finish, which I thought was $200 on other models but standard on this one is in fact still $200 on this model... So the difference between the comparably equipped solo is looking to be closer to 250 to $280.

I was not charged for the Scarlet finish. The Whiskey finish is an up charge but the other 4 finishes are free on the JH6.
JH6 finish prices.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'86 DC200, '87 V220T, '90 LB75, '96 AE185, '05 C750T, '07 V220M, '14 V59K, '14 DC7X x2, '15 PB5, '17 A6H, '17 AB5, '17 V59K, '17 KV6X, '18 JH6, '18 A6H

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:35 am

I'm still pleased as punch that Kiesel was able to get Johnny as an endorser!
Really hoping it's a relationship that lasts several years and that Kiesel isn't just Johnny's flavor of the month.
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:09 am

amispy wrote:I was not charged for the Scarlet finish. The Whiskey finish is an up charge but the other 4 finishes are free on the JH6.
JH6 finish prices.png

Ahh, you're right. Different finish than I thought. Thanks!

amispy
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby amispy » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:46 am

spudmunkey wrote:
amispy wrote:I just called in my order for a Johnny Hiland scarlet red with KTB baked board/headstock. Can't wait to get it! :-)

What drew you to this specific model over the Solo?

a) I don't have a Tele-shaped guitar in my stable.
b) The JH6 has a lot of the same options that I would've gotten on a Solo such as the 10" radius and birdseye maple board and headstock overlay.
c) I wanted something a little different sounding from my other guitar. I figured the pickup and pots in the JH6 would give me a different tone.

amispy
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby amispy » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:53 am

rYche wrote: My big question is why so much more than the regular solo?

I see about a $300 different between the JH6 and a comparably spec'd Solo6.

Here's my comparison. I'm not 100% sure about the OPT50 prices. I estimated those on the low side.
2018-07-01 11_50_32-Guitar Inventory & Ideas.xlsx - Excel.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars