Thorium pickups?

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Big Frank

Thorium pickups?

Postby Big Frank » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:28 am

after the tease two weeks ago at the end of the live feed, I expected some kind of official announcement of the long awaited Thorium pickups ... Are they available yet, or am I hallucinating?

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: Thorium pickups?

Postby gumbynotpokey » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:04 pm

Big Frank wrote:after the tease two weeks ago at the end of the live feed, I expected some kind of official announcement of the long awaited Thorium pickups ... Are they available yet, or am I hallucinating?

This might be an interesting place to start....

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=48576&hilit=thorium&start=20#p623514
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:16 pm

gumbynotpokey wrote:
Big Frank wrote:after the tease two weeks ago at the end of the live feed, I expected some kind of official announcement of the long awaited Thorium pickups ... Are they available yet, or am I hallucinating?

This might be an interesting place to start....

http://www.kieselguitarsbbs.com/viewtop ... 20#p623514

In a live Facebook factory walk through about 2 weeks ago, Jeff picked up a guitar and held it up to the camera. An eagle-eyed fanatic noticed that the pickup didn't have the normal Lithium setup of one row of torx screws and one row of solid slugs... but instead had two rows of torx screws.

I don't know if there was any mention from Jeff about them, though. It almost seemed like an accident.

If they weren't announced for NAMM, it's possible they still aren't ready. These might have been prototypes to be sent to an artist to try out :think:
Last edited by spudmunkey on Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:32 pm

Actually... I misunderstood the story because I hadn't seen the video. Jeff literally held up the guitar for the camera and said "does anybody notice what's different? does anybody realize what just happened?" or something along those lines.

Screenshot_20180701-132926.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:54 pm

spudmunkey wrote:Actually... I misunderstood the story because I hadn't seen the video. Jeff literally held up the guitar for the camera and said "does anybody notice what's different? does anybody realize what just happened?" or something along those lines.

Screenshot_20180701-132926.png

Hilarious.

Snark answers: "No". And then reasons, "They were announced so long ago the continuity of that vague topic/question has no meaning for the average viewer on their social media." Afterall, there aren't 22 pole pieces so the legacy buyers have no reply. etc etc.

:)

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:01 pm

I can't say I don't agree, but i do feel like Jeff sees the community of folks who follow their live vids on facebook are a bit of a smaller, more dedicated community... like a group of friends that have inside jokes, etc.

That tease was in the 38th minute of a live facebook video on a Tuesday afternoon. That tease and that line was an "inside" tongue in cheek joke for those dedicated followers, who ask , "any update on the Thoriums" several times every single weekly Q&A. :lol:

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:06 pm

spudmunkey wrote:I can't say I don't agree, but i do feel like Jeff sees the community of folks who follow their live vids on facebook are a bit of a smaller, more dedicated community... like a group of friends that have inside jokes, etc.

That tease was in the 38th minute of a live facebook video on a Tuesday afternoon. That tease and that line was an "inside" tongue in cheek joke for those dedicated followers, who ask , "any update on the Thoriums" several times every single weekly Q&A. :lol:

The people still following this line of soap opera suspense since 2016 are enthralled, I am sure. And yet you are also correct that the 118 bedroom warriors tuning in during work hours and also catching the 38th minute after dinner on the replay - who tease this regularly - might get a bit let down when the release happens (ending as such, not a poor product).

You sure can't say he doesn't innovate, that's for sure. What a monumental set of accomplishments he has led. :)

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:27 am

Lol.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:22 pm

In the last Q&A video, he mentioned that the bridge pickup is done, but the neck pickup isn't ready for prime time yet.

Ceramic magnets.

"They sound PISSED OFF!"

Output around 20K.

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars