Hello All! I've got some Osiris Questions

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

atquinn
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Jun 2018

Hello All! I've got some Osiris Questions

Postby atquinn » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:01 pm

I was thinking of perhaps adding an Osiris 6 string to my collection, but I had a few questions that hopefully some Zeus/Osiris/other Kiesel owners could answer.

1. How is the trem on these? I am used to the Gotoh 510, which is to me, the finest non-double locking trem out there (that honor would go to the Gotoh Floyd). Don't expect the Hipshot/Kiesel trem on these to be that great, but would hope they're at least good? I like my trem arm to be stiff enough so that it only moves when I want it to. I also like as much pull-up as I can get. How does this trem setup works as far as those 2 aspects are concerned?

2. The standard Kiesel neck carve is too small for me. It looks like the thick neck option would suit me pretty well though. Is it possible to order that and still have the the 10-day return option?

3. If you own one of these headless models, what made you choose it over it's headstock-having counterpart (the Aries in the case of the Osiris)?

Thanks in advance for the information!

Austin

User avatar
arahobob
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Posts: 3931
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Oakhurst, NJ

Re: Hello All! I've got some Osiris Questions

Postby arahobob » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:17 pm

atquinn wrote:I was thinking of perhaps adding an Osiris 6 string to my collection, but I had a few questions that hopefully some Zeus/Osiris/other Kiesel owners could answer.

1. How is the trem on these? I am used to the Gotoh 510, which is to me, the finest non-double locking trem out there (that honor would go to the Gotoh Floyd). Don't expect the Hipshot/Kiesel trem on these to be that great, but would hope they're at least good? I like my trem arm to be stiff enough so that it only moves when I want it to. I also like as much pull-up as I can get. How does this trem setup works as far as those 2 aspects are concerned?

2. The standard Kiesel neck carve is too small for me. It looks like the thick neck option would suit me pretty well though. Is it possible to order that and still have the the 10-day return option?

3. If you own one of these headless models, what made you choose it over it's headstock-having counterpart (the Aries in the case of the Osiris)?

Thanks in advance for the information!

Austin


1. I have a gotoh 510 and I'd have to agree - it's awesome. I had a V6X - I didn't care for it at all. Poor bar design, bad feel. I've heard some folks hate setting them up. The arm is stiff until the set screw loosens up and the bar flops out. Or its so tight it cant come out. Total pain in the ass. I guess it pulled up just fine, but the overall feel was way too loose - the slightest touch altered the pitch.
No comparison between the two. Ymmv.

2. Not sure.

3. I have a V7. I've always wanted a headless just for kicks. Love the overall vibe.
Turns out they're super comfortable , a joy to play, and sound great too. Kiesel offers amazing possibilities in the headless market.
Current Carvins:
2010 Bolt (Candy Red Metallic)
2013 Bolt Plus (Koa)
2016 Black n Blue VSEVEN
2017 TT SCB6

Wish List
Some sort of multiscale 6 HSS with RAD ASH
JB Numbers Guitar (July sale has given me the itch!)

atquinn
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Jun 2018

Re: Hello All! I've got some Osiris Questions

Postby atquinn » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:59 pm

arahobob wrote:
atquinn wrote:I was thinking of perhaps adding an Osiris 6 string to my collection, but I had a few questions that hopefully some Zeus/Osiris/other Kiesel owners could answer.

1. How is the trem on these? I am used to the Gotoh 510, which is to me, the finest non-double locking trem out there (that honor would go to the Gotoh Floyd). Don't expect the Hipshot/Kiesel trem on these to be that great, but would hope they're at least good? I like my trem arm to be stiff enough so that it only moves when I want it to. I also like as much pull-up as I can get. How does this trem setup works as far as those 2 aspects are concerned?

2. The standard Kiesel neck carve is too small for me. It looks like the thick neck option would suit me pretty well though. Is it possible to order that and still have the the 10-day return option?

3. If you own one of these headless models, what made you choose it over it's headstock-having counterpart (the Aries in the case of the Osiris)?

Thanks in advance for the information!

Austin


1. I have a gotoh 510 and I'd have to agree - it's awesome. I had a V6X - I didn't care for it at all. Poor bar design, bad feel. I've heard some folks hate setting them up. The arm is stiff until the set screw loosens up and the bar flops out. Or its so tight it cant come out. Total pain in the ass. I guess it pulled up just fine, but the overall feel was way too loose - the slightest touch altered the pitch.
No comparison between the two. Ymmv.

2. Not sure.

3. I have a V7. I've always wanted a headless just for kicks. Love the overall vibe.
Turns out they're super comfortable , a joy to play, and sound great too. Kiesel offers amazing possibilities in the headless market.


Thanks for the info. Sounds like the Hipshot/Kiesel trem on the headless guitars isn't using a insert sleeve?!? If that's the case, it would end up being even worse than the traditional screw-in arm. That doesn't make any sense to me. Too bad, because otherwise, everything seems to be a pretty nice fit specs-wise. :(

Austin

User avatar
UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Posts: 1397
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Omnipresence nearly achieved!

Re: Hello All! I've got some Osiris Questions

Postby UnexplodedCow » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:26 am

1. If you go with the Hipshot, it's an excellent piece. I've personally tried the Gotoh EV510T, which is a 510 derivative with a different (zinc, and modified) block. I have no long term experience with it (give me a couple years). The Contour has proven to be reliable in the past 3 years, and the arm has remained as snug as the day I set the grub screw. It's smoother feeling than the 510 (which is a bit stiff, almost as much as a Wilkinson). Range is identical between the two, body routing notwithstanding.

2. Go with a thicker neck option, and jumbo frets also take up more space. Some dislike the "train track" feeling. I love the near-scalloped feel, personally.

3. I have a 2015 V6. Multiscale didn't exist then, and fixed-bridge was the only option. It also has a zero fret that, once settled, has held up well enough. It's light, sustain is excellent, and the M22V/SD pickup set is killer. The two minor issues I've had are the output jack nut loosening up some, and a bit of static in the pots (which is a first for any Carvin I've owned). The guitar has otherwise been fine, and is an absolute joy to play. It caused me to change my playing habits for the better, too. Gotta love an instrument that forces one to adapt and improve.

I've thought about getting another Vader, or other headless model, with the vibrato unit, and then selling off a traditional design, as I've convinced myself that headless is better.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

User avatar
arahobob
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Posts: 3931
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Oakhurst, NJ

Re: Hello All! I've got some Osiris Questions

Postby arahobob » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:26 pm

UnexplodedCow wrote:1. If you go with the Hipshot, it's an excellent piece. I've personally tried the Gotoh EV510T, which is a 510 derivative with a different (zinc, and modified) block. I have no long term experience with it (give me a couple years). The Contour has proven to be reliable in the past 3 years, and the arm has remained as snug as the day I set the grub screw. It's smoother feeling than the 510 (which is a bit stiff, almost as much as a Wilkinson). Range is identical between the two, body routing notwithstanding.


The Contour is different than the Hipshot bridge used on the headless models.
Current Carvins:
2010 Bolt (Candy Red Metallic)
2013 Bolt Plus (Koa)
2016 Black n Blue VSEVEN
2017 TT SCB6

Wish List
Some sort of multiscale 6 HSS with RAD ASH
JB Numbers Guitar (July sale has given me the itch!)

User avatar
UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Posts: 1397
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Omnipresence nearly achieved!

Re: Hello All! I've got some Osiris Questions

Postby UnexplodedCow » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:04 pm

Yes, it has the tuning section at the back, but the forward section of the unit is the same as the Contour, including the pivots, and the sustain block is very similar.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

User avatar
arahobob
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Posts: 3931
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Oakhurst, NJ

Re: Hello All! I've got some Osiris Questions

Postby arahobob » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:29 pm

UnexplodedCow wrote:Yes, it has the tuning section at the back, but the forward section of the unit is the same as the Contour, including the pivots, and the sustain block is very similar.


Interesting take
I never really noticed any similarities - on the surface they appear very different. The headless style is bulkier.
Plus I've never owned the contour - I just have experience w/ the Vader trem.
Current Carvins:
2010 Bolt (Candy Red Metallic)
2013 Bolt Plus (Koa)
2016 Black n Blue VSEVEN
2017 TT SCB6

Wish List
Some sort of multiscale 6 HSS with RAD ASH
JB Numbers Guitar (July sale has given me the itch!)

Cynical
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Posts: 476
Joined: Dec 2015

Re: Hello All! I've got some Osiris Questions

Postby Cynical » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:34 pm

Last I heard, THKN had been made a non-returnable option on guitars that didn't come with it normally (which I believe is just the Gambale and Holdsworth).

atquinn
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Jun 2018

Re: Hello All! I've got some Osiris Questions

Postby atquinn » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:29 pm

Cynical wrote:Last I heard, THKN had been made a non-returnable option on guitars that didn't come with it normally (which I believe is just the Gambale and Holdsworth).


Hmm, guess I'll have to call them and ask, thanks.

Austin

User avatar
UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Posts: 1397
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Omnipresence nearly achieved!

Re: Hello All! I've got some Osiris Questions

Postby UnexplodedCow » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:11 pm

arahobob wrote:
UnexplodedCow wrote:Yes, it has the tuning section at the back, but the forward section of the unit is the same as the Contour, including the pivots, and the sustain block is very similar.


Interesting take
I never really noticed any similarities - on the surface they appear very different. The headless style is bulkier.
Plus I've never owned the contour - I just have experience w/ the Vader trem.


This will likely allow it to flutter better, as the more mass will harder for the springs to dampen in that situation. The stock Contour already flutters extremely well, as it's fairly heavy with the steel block.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.


Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests