Line6 Variax Technology in a Zeus?

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

katerlouis

Line6 Variax Technology in a Zeus?

Postby katerlouis » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:03 am

I have my eye on a Zeus for quite some time now and will soon make the jump <3

Straight up questions:
1) Do the awesome guys at Kiesel-guitars install Line6 variax technology generally?
2) Can the rather small body of the Zeus spare some space for the electronics? (I mean, there's also room for a floyd rose, so I don't see why it wouldn't)

I wouldn't care if installing this tech means no guarantee etc. –

Jeff always points out the Kiesel guys can do anything; having access to the variax tech, when I need to, would be.. omg.. so great!

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: Line6 Variax Technology in a Zeus?

Postby gumbynotpokey » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:10 am

these questions have various answers that all collapse to the same essence: "call with credit card in hand" and ask.
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

HarlowTheFish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby HarlowTheFish » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:45 am

I don't think they'd install the Variax tech, as if I recall correctly, they only take customer parts when they're new and boxed, and Line 6 doesn't sell it separately. However, if you were willing to DIY it, the Hipshot headless hardware can take some of the Graphtech piezo saddles and a solid-body Zeus would likely have enough room to install the Variax system. You'd be on your own with regards to the actual installation, though I'm sure a good luthier/tech could do it if you're not comfortable doing it yourself. Have you considered the Roland GK stuff? That fits on a Strandberg, so there's no way it wouldn't fit on a Zeus.

marcwormjim

Postby marcwormjim » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:33 pm

Line 6 has only ever provided Variax gear to Parker, and Parker Guitars no longer exists. You would have to buy a Variax guitar and then have a third party transplant the innards into ANY other guitar - And even then, anything that goes less-than-perfect with installation or performance will require dealing with Line 6’s support ticket system.

The most common alternative is installing Graphtech saddles and a Hexpander board, then running a 13-pin into an outboard Antares or Roland unit for guitar modeling and alternate tunings.

katerlouis

Postby katerlouis » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:04 am

Thanks for the replies.

I'll look into the suggested alternatives later–

So you say this tech:
http://active-guitar.com/wp-content/upl ... GP0613.jpg

should fit by default into a Zeus? Wow–
But then I still wouldn't have a battery housing. How much would the Kiesel guys charge for cutting a whole for that?

In case Kiesel doesn't want to install the tech I'd like to avoid cutting into the finished guitar.

HarlowTheFish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby HarlowTheFish » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:55 am

If you order a Zeus with the Fishman pickups, I think they put a battery in too

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:08 am

marcwormjim wrote:Line 6 has only ever provided Variax gear to Parker,

James Tyler, too.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:13 am

katerlouis wrote:In case Kiesel doesn't want to install the tech I'd like to avoid cutting into the finished guitar.

your best bet is to get the guitar in an easily-sanded off Tung oil finish, have the work done, and then finished locally how you'd like. I still can't say if it would work, since the Zeus doesn't have the large open area of the body behind the bridge like most guitars do. Every Variax guitar i've seen houses a lot of the tech behind the bridge, which isn't an option on the headless instruments.

Here's an image of the front and back of the Zeus with the battery box. On the control side of the body, there's not much room left. The whole center of the body from the neck to the strap button is already occupied by the pickups and the bridge. Then there's no room behind the bridge. Then the other side of the body has the belly cut and the top bevel, so not much room there.

I think this is one of those cases where it's not about what Kiesel is *willing* to do, but what's currently physically possible due to the limitations of the technolody, like a headless Floyd, or a multiscale Evertune.

HarlowTheFish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby HarlowTheFish » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:57 pm

spudmunkey wrote:
katerlouis wrote:In case Kiesel doesn't want to install the tech I'd like to avoid cutting into the finished guitar.

your best bet is to get the guitar in an easily-sanded off Tung oil finish, have the work done, and then finished locally how you'd like. I still can't say if it would work, since the Zeus doesn't have the large open area of the body behind the bridge like most guitars do. Every Variax guitar i've seen houses a lot of the tech behind the bridge, which isn't an option on the headless instruments.

Here's an image of the front and back of the Zeus with the battery box. On the control side of the body, there's not much room left. The whole center of the body from the neck to the strap button is already occupied by the pickups and the bridge. Then there's no room behind the bridge. Then the other side of the body has the belly cut and the top bevel, so not much room there.

I think this is one of those cases where it's not about what Kiesel is *willing* to do, but what's currently physically possible due to the limitations of the technolody, like a headless Floyd, or a multiscale Evertune.

If OP wants to use the Graphtech system, I'm like 99% sure it could fit with some routing on the bass side, because that beluga head (I say it with love) is massive. Their hexaphonic board isn't that big, and they have saddles that fit the hipshot headless bridge, meaning you'd only need to drill holes on the baseplate for the wiring. I don't think Kiesel does Tung oil body finishes on the headless models, so you might just want to just invest in a good luthier to do the work for you.

Take a look at the Strandberg/Boss synth Biden for reference in terms of how you could work with the smaller body.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:47 pm

HarlowTheFish wrote:If OP wants to use the Graphtech system, I'm like 99% sure it could fit with some routing on the bass side, because that beluga head (I say it with love) is massive.

A good point. It seems like that's likely the most-advanced tech that's likely to fit. A bit of a different animal, though, to be sure.

HarlowTheFish wrote:I don't think Kiesel does Tung oil body finishes on the headless models, so you might just want to just invest in a good luthier to do the work for you.

They do actually, ever since they came out with the "chrome/mirror" logo that doesn't need the clear finish to seal it in....but you're right in that they only ever did before on the Holdsworth when it was still badged a Carvin, and only if you got the one type of Gold logo (different material than the gold Kiesel logos).

HarlowTheFish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby HarlowTheFish » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:48 pm

spudmunkey wrote:They do actually, ever since they came out with the "chrome/mirror" logo that doesn't need the clear finish to seal it in....but you're right in that they only ever did before on the Holdsworth when it was still badged a Carvin, and only if you got the one type of Gold logo (different material than the gold Kiesel logos).

They do? Rats! If I knew I might have gotten my CL in all oil. OP, just do this, take it to a luthier of your choice for the Graphtech Ghost install, then send it off to that guy that does the killer sparkle finishes and get it done up.

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars