NGD: Grabber Blue CL6

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

HarlowTheFish
Gold Member
Gold Member

NGD: Grabber Blue CL6

Postby HarlowTheFish » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:35 pm

I'll start by channeling Bruce Dickinson:
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

TL;DR: It's awesome, yes, it djents

So I placed my order on 6/12, and was quoted a finish date of 8/15, so props to Kiesel for finishing this almost a month early. You may have seen this picture on their social media, which is currently the best I can do as I have an extremely limited camera situation currently.
37288358_2137640786519212_386283367122862080_o.jpg

Here she is on a junky phone camera:
20180725_180521.jpg

Can't cowbell me now, eh? :lol:
Specs are:
CL6
Standard Woods
Gloss Grabber Blue
Thinner Neck Profile
Tung Oil Neck Finish
Luminlay Offset Dots
Stainless Jumbo Frets
White Lithiums
White Logo
Straplocks
I'm gonna start by saying that this is 10/10 the best neck finish I've ever laid hands on and if you order anything else, then shame on you :naughty: .
Playability was excellent out of the box in standard and in drop D, and it just took me a quick setup to get everything settled in drop C with an 11-58 set. The thinner neck profile was definitely the right choice for me, and it feels really familiar, sort of bridging the gap between my old Eclipse's Thin U and my Ibby's Prestige Super Wizard. The guitar itself is actually surprisingly hefty, quite a bit heavier than I expected. Considering I was expecting a paperweight, this is still fine, so your mileage may vary. I have an Ormsby multiscale as well, so I've had some time to get used to it, but I didn't even really register the Kiesel fan, other than having less wrist stress from the fret angles.
The Lithiums are interesting, because through my setup they sound like really beefy humbuckers with a Tele double tracked. I've seen some people say they don't have enough low end, but I've actually had to turn my bass down, as well as drop the bridge humbucker to get the output a little more even with the neck. I find it interesting that the bridge pickup is a good bit farther away from the saddles than other guitars I have here for reference, and I actually really dig the sound, seems warmer and a little bigger sounding. The neck pickup reminds me a lot of an EMG 85, which is probably one of my favorite lead tones, but with actually playable feel. Both pickups together has some of the thickness of the neck and a bit of the bite and clarity of the bridge, and sounds really great clean. The pickups sound great split, more Tele than Strat, but I'm gonna be redoing the switching to have series-parallel for both pickups, as my apartment has way too much hum to be playable.
Overall, 9/10 guitar, with my only issue, if that, being some of the finish masking for the body end of the fretboard. 10/10 on playability and comfort, for me, and I really like the sound I'm getting. As far as fanned frets, I was already a, uh, fan, and as far as headless, I'm a convert: this feels so solid and resonant in a way that similarly built guitars I've played aren't, and I can't attribute it to anything else.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rocky

Re: NGD: Grabber Blue CL6

Postby Rocky » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:20 pm

Great looking guitar. I really like it. Grabber blue is one of my favorite colors. Amazing that they finished it a month early. Kinda wish I would have gotten the tung oil neck finish on my Vader. Sounds like the way to go. Next time ... :-)

HarlowTheFish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby HarlowTheFish » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:35 pm

I hear that they're getting a ton of orders, so they're prioritizing stuff that's been paid in full. R.e. neck finishes, tung is definitely the way to go. Smoother than the Ibby Prestige necks.

ioneater
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby ioneater » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:42 pm

Looks great! I pretty much like every thing I've seen finished in that color :applause:

HarlowTheFish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby HarlowTheFish » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:07 pm

ioneater wrote:Looks great! I pretty much like every thing I've seen finished in that color :applause:

Thanks! I have an '03 ESP Eclipse for my figured top needs, an Ormsby for my natural wood, and an RGR652AHB for black, so I wanted the most obnoxiously neon blue I could get.

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars