A6 - A few questions

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

DarkMacek

A6 - A few questions

Postby DarkMacek » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:36 pm

Been discussing this with Mike, and I'm ready to pull the trigger soon - but just have a few questions for some features.

1. THNN
How much tone does this suck out? Have other players found this to be worth it?
My hands are a little small (e.g., can't reach from 1st fret to the 6th fret) and I'm looking for something fast, but a tung-oil Aries neck might already be fast enough.

2. Body wood
I was debating between Alder and Mahogany. I have a Mahogany DC600 (more on this later) that I like a lot, but this is a different animal obviously. Suggestions welcome.

3. Neck stripe
Mainly a maple neck. Walnut or mahogany or something else?

My DC600H is a mahogany/maple-stripe neck, mahogany body, maple top beast that I built as more like a blend between a super Strat and a Les Paul than most Kiesel builds. It's serving me well and I have no issues with it. I'm getting this Aries as an alternative for shreddier-music that a Bolt-on would be suited for, and avoiding the maple cap to reduce weight.

Also opting for M22SD/M22V if possible - I'm not a djenter

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: A6 - A few questions

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:01 pm

One thing to keep in mind, the Aries has a 25.5 inch scale. Unless you receive your dc600 within the last few weeks, your dc600 is probably the shorter 25 inch scale. The longer scale will make wide stretches a bit tougher.

Secondly, tone isn't a quantity. It's either one thing or another, but neither is less or more. :think:

HarlowTheFish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: A6 - A few questions

Postby HarlowTheFish » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:05 pm

DarkMacek wrote:Been discussing this with Mike, and I'm ready to pull the trigger soon - but just have a few questions for some features.

1. THNN
How much tone does this suck out? Have other players found this to be worth it?
My hands are a little small (e.g., can't reach from 1st fret to the 6th fret) and I'm looking for something fast, but a tung-oil Aries neck might already be fast enough.

2. Body wood
I was debating between Alder and Mahogany. I have a Mahogany DC600 (more on this later) that I like a lot, but this is a different animal obviously. Suggestions welcome.

3. Neck stripe
Mainly a maple neck. Walnut or mahogany or something else?

My DC600H is a mahogany/maple-stripe neck, mahogany body, maple top beast that I built as more like a blend between a super Strat and a Les Paul than most Kiesel builds. It's serving me well and I have no issues with it. I'm getting this Aries as an alternative for shreddier-music that a Bolt-on would be suited for, and avoiding the maple cap to reduce weight.

Also opting for M22SD/M22V if possible - I'm not a djenter

1. I just got a CL6 with the thinner neck, feel incredibly solid. I don't think you'll need to worry about tone suck, especially if you want a multi-piece neck.

2. I'd say mahogany, as C/Ks are kinda on the bright side, so this will give you some good weight to your notes, but alder is a good pick for something brighter. If you want to call in, see if maybe they have some basswood? That's a shreddy guitar standard. Optionally swamp ash is nice, but quite bright.

3. 3 piece maple/walnut looks pretty cool, but I'd go for 3 piece walnut/purpleheart, personally.

As far as pickups, I dunno if they'll have any 22-pole stuff left. If you don't want the lithiums (which should be well suited, if bright - see a pattern here?), maybe the Greg Howe Parallax bridge and the new Gambale pickup in the bridge might work, with more of a fusion than straight shred flair.

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars