Luminlay side dot color acceptable?

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Spiritus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Luminlay side dot color acceptable?

Postby Spiritus » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:12 pm

Have any of you found the material color or glow-in-the-dark color of the Luminlay Super Blue side dots to clash with one or more colors of your guitar? Just wondering if I need to factor in either when deciding on finish for a build.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: Luminlay side dot color acceptable?

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:38 pm

In my opinion, the side dots, when not glowing, have a super super super pale green tint to them...way less than the "mint" Strat pickguards, and less than lime italian ice. It comes across as mostly cream. If I wasn't looking for a hint of color, I might not notice it. Real MOP can have just as much color variation on it's sheen.

That said, if the room is ever so slightly dim, and they start to glow, they do take on a more of the blue color...but with them glowing, I think it's a different experience than if they were painted the same color. Like...it doesn't matter what color face you have on your Rolex, the hour markers and hands all glow the same color, and nobody seems to complain about them "clashing" :) :laughhard:

HarlowTheFish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby HarlowTheFish » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:33 pm

I got luminlay front dots too, and while it glows a slightly teal-er shade of blue than the finish, it looks great against the ebony.

Spiritus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Spiritus » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:57 pm

HarlowTheFish wrote:... looks great against the ebony. ...

Right.

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars