Share your review of the Hipshot Kiesel Trem (Headstock Version seen on the CT, CS and Aries Models)

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

bonga_rascal

Share your review of the Hipshot Kiesel Trem (Headstock Version seen on the CT, CS and Aries Models)

Postby bonga_rascal » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:06 pm

Hi All,

Since these have been out for some time now, I was wondering if the folks here who have used the Hipshot Kiesel trem could share some experiences of the same. I am specifically talking about the trem that is offered on models with a headstock such as the CT, CS and the Aries series.

Asking because my doubts about the trem is probably one of the only things that is stopping me from buying a Kiesel CT624 over a PRS Custom 24.

Thanks,
Vibhas

ghostryder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Share your review of the Hipshot Kiesel Trem (Headstock Version seen on the CT, CS and Aries Models)

Postby ghostryder » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:39 am

I ran across this that is a review of a six string Aries with a Hipshot Bridge. Note he says he's normally a Floyd user and he says he thinks he found a trem that can replace it. He also comments on the Berylliums as being too bright whereas he has them in a Greg Howe GH3 and they are fine. Straight alder body on the aries so what is with the aries that's causing that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfG0JRWD584

He does a decent tone example of the pickups here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvxLO9qS5pU&t=230s

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: Share your review of the Hipshot Kiesel Trem (Headstock Version seen on the CT, CS and Aries Models)

Postby UnexplodedCow » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:28 am

The only difference between the retail version compared to the Kiesel version is the arm sizing/style. The retail arm is smaller, with a plastic end on it. The Kiesel version uses a more Floyd-style arm (larger, no plastic tip).

I retrofitted one to my guitar a while ago, and used it for three years. It rarely went out of tune, and has virtually no wear. I've since swapped in a Gotoh 510 with an interesting block. It's stable, but stiffer feeling. The Hipshot feels softer/spongy, and flutters well. It's quite heavy, due to the steel block. String spacing is great as is. No complaints about either, but I'm still very, very happy with the Hipshot overall, and a factory fit one will likely be even better (no shimming of the studs in the body).

They really are all that in terms of quality, and vastly superior to the Wilkinson they replaced. If you're on the fence, hopefully this sways you. 3 years and no issues is pretty solid for a guy who likes to use the bar instead of fingers to bend strings. A cheap Wilkinson lasted about a year before being completely shot, by comparison.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:43 am

UnexplodedCow wrote:The only difference between the retail version compared to the Kiesel version is the arm sizing/style.

I believe their block is special, too.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:53 am

Considering the arm mounts in the block, where the tensioning grub screw resides, that may be the only difference.

All the other pictures I've seen show it to be the same as the retail; long, black, steel block with a rear bevel.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars