Hipshot trem solution for Drop D tuning?

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Altranis7321

Hipshot trem solution for Drop D tuning?

Postby Altranis7321 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:49 am

Heya all,

I'm planning to make an order with Kiesel soon and will include a hipshot trem in my build, but in the meantime I just wanted to know if anybody has an idea what the best solution is to go to and from Standard to Drop D tuning using the hipshot trem (whilst keeping in tune, of course).

I've had guitars with Floyd Roses in the past and I know the general headache of even trying to tune down one string, so I wanted to know if the same headache applied here and what solutions there are to make this easier?

Cheers all!

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: Hipshot trem solution for Drop D tuning?

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:26 am

Is there such a thing as a floating trem that would allow for down-tuning without affecting the rest of the trem, since it's a balanced system?

Even a Floyd can only down-tune if you have a block in place like a tremel-no that prevents pull-back, since loosening a string will make the springs in the trem cavity able to pull the trem back further, making the other strings sharp..

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:41 am

The only thing I know of that would definitely circumvent an effect of dropping your E to a D on the fly, would be to use a hybrid Kahler and lock it before you do the drop.. but of course whammy effects during that song are going to be out. It's the only system I can think of where no modification would be necessary, you'd still have a good rocker.

But it's not a Hipshot, so.... kind of a moot point.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Doctor Doug » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:53 am

The only solution that I know of is buying two guitars.....or four so you have a backup in each tuning in case of string breakage.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:58 am

Don't laugh! IMHO, if you're a heavy gigger, and you rely on a Floyd-esque type of guitar, you'd b e t t e r have a backup guitar in case you break a string on stage. . . cus there ain't no retuning that badboy in a jiff.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Doctor Doug » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:07 am

Doctor Turn wrote:Don't laugh! IMHO, if you're a heavy gigger, and you rely on a Floyd-esque type of guitar, you'd b e t t e r have a backup guitar in case you break a string on stage. . . cus there ain't no retuning that badboy in a jiff.

That's the single reason I've never been a whammy-bar guy. I break guitars a lot.

Altranis7321

Postby Altranis7321 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:26 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:Don't laugh! IMHO, if you're a heavy gigger, and you rely on a Floyd-esque type of guitar, you'd b e t t e r have a backup guitar in case you break a string on stage. . . cus there ain't no retuning that badboy in a jiff.

Yea, fair enough that makes sense. Shame there isn't something like a D-tuna compatible with the hipshot (I'm assuming it's not compatible since its for the FR).

Thank you all for getting back! Much appreciated! :D

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:49 pm

Altranis7321 wrote:

Yea, fair enough that makes sense. Shame there isn't something like a D-tuna compatible with the hipshot (I'm assuming it's not compatible since its for the FR).

Thank you all for getting back! Much appreciated! :D

That really wouldn't solve much of a problem. Those still only work if you have a trem block like a tremol-no. I suppose it makes the down tuning itself quicker on the Floyd because you don't have to worry about the Locking nut, but the only thing that saves you on the Hipshot is having to turn the tuning knob.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:02 pm

Or the one time I auditioned for a band who recorded in D standard, but played live in standard tuning. It was great to show up with a double locking guitar, and no wrench. It was a night of transposition. Needless to say, I passed the audition.

The only other stock trem system that can handle a drop tune is a Jazzmaster or Jaguar when the lock button is in place. I've done it before, and it works well. Clunky design overall, but it has a purpose.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

Cynical
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Cynical » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:30 pm

There was a time when I'd have said the same thing, but when I saw Sadistic Intent, Rick Cortez broke a string on his Floyd Rose loaded guitar, and changed it in "comfortable stage banter" time! A lot of us from Texas still talk about that one in amazement, heh.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:55 am

Doctor Doug wrote:

That's the single reason I've never been a whammy-bar guy. I break guitars a lot.

Hah hah--you guys, from the clips that I've seen, can get a nice WWF sorta vibe going versus each other when zapping back and forth. 8)

But I'm sort of the same way (not the stage running)-- I have two guitars with trems on them.. one obviously being the old 150, and the other one (3 x P90 axe) with a Bigsby style system which is more for those subtle, dreary, spacey effects. I barely use either trem.

Hendrix was the guy who got me playing guitar in the first place (had my share of Strats and Strat copies), and later in the mid 80's when I had that Carvin built, locking floating whammy systems were entering their peak period (obviously because of the impact of EvH, and immediately subsequent metal players from the first "shredder" wave featured by Varney/Shrapnel, to guys like Vai, to LA Hair metal, all the way in the other direction with dudes like the "Twang Bar King" Adrian Belew w his Kahler--now uses a Parker Fly--it was just the peak era of whammy bars on the guitars of everyone who was anyone). I used to have fun with trems and feedback and craziness back then.

But my focus nowadays is always on overall musical statements of thru composed pieces of music which keeps the guitar (hopefully) interesting, rather than relying endlessly on ABABCAB structures with a jolt of purposeless squealing savagery tacked in between there.

But I'll never write off squealing purposeless savagery completely--it's too fun!

UnexplodedCow wrote:The only other stock trem system that can handle a drop tune is a Jazzmaster or Jaguar when the lock button is in place. I've done it before, and it works well. Clunky design overall, but it has a purpose.

Want to get my drummer (also a guitar player on the side, and lover to the point of adoration of JMasters) talking about the bizarre mysteries of the world? Get him talking about those barrel bridge saddles on a vintage style JM, and the act of bending a string (*skip**"Plink!"*).
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars