Kiesel Guitars mini Solo and Aries Run

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

X1Glider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Kiesel Guitars mini Solo and Aries Run

Postby X1Glider » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:33 am

gumbynotpokey wrote:
X1Glider wrote:2. What other company does pick your top Tuesday"? What other company offers semi-custom builds with the vast array of choices in wood, paint and electrical combinations and can do it in a very timely fashion for a pretty darn good price? No one I know of.

This exists. I kid u not.

Who? It's a serious question as I do not know who they are. And they can do all Kiesel does at the same price points?

GuitFiddle
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby GuitFiddle » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:54 am

UnexplodedCow wrote:Speaking of all that, your recent build is coming up in age, or has it already arrived?

That arrived quite a while back now, more than a month. It's the BRG DC127, very basic build, with Berylliums. Honestly, I love that guitar. It's unpretentious and I had no outsized expectations of it, but it's definitely a lot more guitar than I expected it to be. It kind of sounds like a hot Tele of all things and plays like mad. It had an option miss and a few assembly misses, but they took care of me (and I took care of the rest myself), so meh, no biggie. I've been reaching for it first since it arrived, even ahead of my custom shop Schecter.

I've said it before but I'll say it again...for me at least, when ordering from Kiesel the best approach is to build something standard and stupid-simple from the online builder and forget about it until it shows up. Unfortunately my experience is that the fancier and more customized a build gets, the more likely it will fail to meet expectations. Maybe I'm just a simpleton or a troglodyte. :lol:
American guitars
British Amps (mostly)
What more do you need?

JCG
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby JCG » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:00 am

"added Gloss top coat over body at no charge"

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:32 am

GuitFiddle wrote:
UnexplodedCow wrote:Speaking of all that, your recent build is coming up in age, or has it already arrived?

That arrived quite a while back now, more than a month. It's the BRG DC127, very basic build, with Berylliums. Honestly, I love that guitar. It's unpretentious and I had no outsized expectations of it, but it's definitely a lot more guitar than I expected it to be. It kind of sounds like a hot Tele of all things and plays like mad. It had an option miss and a few assembly misses, but they took care of me (and I took care of the rest myself), so meh, no biggie. I've been reaching for it first since it arrived, even ahead of my custom shop Schecter.

I've said it before but I'll say it again...for me at least, when ordering from Kiesel the best approach is to build something standard and stupid-simple from the online builder and forget about it until it shows up. Unfortunately my experience is that the fancier and more customized a build gets, the more likely it will fail to meet expectations. Maybe I'm just a simpleton or a troglodyte. :lol:

I'm very glad it turned out, and am hoping the same for my recent build. Coincidentally, also a cocobolo neck with ash body, but Z6X, in a trans color. I put it in a couple days (at most) prior to this being announced, so it will hopefully turn out nicely. I'm not worried about figuring too much, and aside from the neck choice, it's a pretty mundane build. :woot:
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:48 pm

ilyti wrote:See.... I don't get that. In my hands, the LP double cut has flawless high fret access due to the fact that the neck keeps it shape much higher up the neck than the other examples. And the body sides stay completely free of the fretboard rather than curving back around like most double cuts. The Carvin CT has a similar thing going for it, and in my opinion has the least noticeable heel of any guitar I've played. Yet they found the need to improve on it with the Crescent's set-thru construction. Maybe I have weird hands. PRS screws it up by leaving the neck boxy and square from the 19th fret up, but Gibson somehow had it right from the start. The old school Carvin sculpted heel doesn't look that bad, but for the fact that it's thicker for a good chunk of fretspace up there, I can't see how it could possibly be more comfortable than the Gibson DC/Carvin CT style. Maybe I have weird hands.

But that is quite a digression...

That's an illusion imposed by the fact that one is 22 frets and the other is 24 frets. I have a special and the Carvin, and created a thread for this specific subject, and when you see the two in profile next to each other, you can see how much thinner right up the neck the Carvin is, where the LP starts thickening up towards the stairstep.

I own them both, there's just no comparison. One is literally LP Axess before it was invented, and the other is literally the old clunky Les Paul.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=49778

I'm trying to link my comparison in, and have been trying to all afternoon since you put up your comment, but there's something up with cubeupload where I have the pics hosted, so I hope maybe it's just on my end and you can at least see the pic wherever it is in the thread.

I know you don't like the old 150 (you've said so in the past) but--of course there's no accounting for hands and personal preference--there's just no comparison between the 2 neck joints in terms of uninterrupted upper neck access..
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:09 pm

spudmunkey wrote:
gumbynotpokey wrote:Will the run be non returnable?

They usually are, to keep people from impulse buying and taking up slots in the Run, to then have to take the guitars back that were sold at a much lower profit margin to begin with.

Yeah, just alerting the newbs that once they buy it they keep it.
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

ilyti
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby ilyti » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:02 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:
That's an illusion imposed by the fact that one is 22 frets and the other is 24 frets. I have a special and the Carvin, and created a thread for this specific subject, and when you see the two in profile next to each other, you can see how much thinner right up the neck the Carvin is, where the LP starts thickening up towards the stairstep.

I own them both, there's just no comparison. One is literally LP Axess before it was invented, and the other is literally the old clunky Les Paul.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=49778

I'm trying to link my comparison in, and have been trying to all afternoon since you put up your comment, but there's something up with cubeupload where I have the pics hosted, so I hope maybe it's just on my end and you can at least see the pic wherever it is in the thread.

I know you don't like the old 150 (you've said so in the past) but--of course there's no accounting for hands and personal preference--there's just no comparison between the 2 neck joints in terms of uninterrupted upper neck access..

Yea but your special is a single cut. The picture you posted on the other page was a double cut. Obviously theres a world of difference if we're comparing to a single cut. I wasn't dissing your dc150 on any point, just giving due praise for something I feel Gibson did right on their dc. (And which Mark later copied on the CT) Sure there's only 22 frets but you can get your thumb around the 20th fret if you want to. You cant even do that on some neck-thrus because the body sides curve back around. Thats just ridiculously good access. And they figured that out back in the 50s!

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:54 pm

X1Glider wrote:
gumbynotpokey wrote:
X1Glider wrote:2. What other company does pick your top Tuesday"? What other company offers semi-custom builds with the vast array of choices in wood, paint and electrical combinations and can do it in a very timely fashion for a pretty darn good price? No one I know of.

This exists. I kid u not.

Who? It's a serious question as I do not know who they are. And they can do all Kiesel does at the same price points?

PM me.
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:26 am

ilyti wrote:
Yea but your special is a single cut. The picture you posted on the other page was a double cut. Obviously theres a world of difference if we're comparing to a single cut. I wasn't dissing your dc150 on any point, just giving due praise for something I feel Gibson did right on their dc. (And which Mark later copied on the CT) Sure there's only 22 frets but you can get your thumb around the 20th fret if you want to. You cant even do that on some neck-thrus because the body sides curve back around. Thats just ridiculously good access. And they figured that out back in the 50s!

I'm confused, and we must be talking about two different things. Here's a Special single cut:

here's the double cut from above:

I don't understand how the neck joint is any different. The joint is the same, it's the carve around the body that it's set onto maybe you're talking about? That's just the difference in the body carve of a single vs a double, not two different neck joints, no?

I'm talking about the "step" that's on the lester, and on a typical set neck joint... and the absence thereof in an Axecess style joint or an old 150 not causing an interference for your thumb and palm when one slides up the neck.

Anyhow, we've dragged this thread down too weird of a corner. I was just illustrating my point about Mark and his engineering skills being put into play when he came back to the co from the world of outside industry...
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:58 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:
Anyhow, we've dragged this thread down too weird of a corner. I was just illustrating my point about Mark and his engineering skills being put into play when he came back to the co from the world of outside industry...

Mark is my hero. 8)
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:46 pm

He's really the heart and soul of everything I hold dear about the progression of this company through time.

The success of this company even as it sits now, even with the unshackling of his son's ideas (which stylistically are obviously very modern and quite different from what we're used to) after obviously giving them a fair hearing in private, comparing Jeff's ideas versus those of Mark's brothers and the fam, and his decision to keep it going, split off, and do it alone as a guitar-bass division only and let Jeff unroll at full bore.. this is very much a product of Mark's--and Mark's alone-- wisdom.

Mark's eye has never really failed since he arrived and his ideas began taking hold in the late seventies.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:36 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:He's really the heart and soul of everything I hold dear about the progression of this company through time.

The success of this company even as it sits now, even with the unshackling of his son's ideas (which stylistically are obviously very modern and quite different from what we're used to) after obviously giving them a fair hearing in private, comparing Jeff's ideas versus those of Mark's brothers and the fam, and his decision to keep it going, split off, and do it alone as a guitar-bass division only and let Jeff unroll at full bore.. this is very much a product of Mark's--and Mark's alone-- wisdom.

Mark's eye has never really failed since he arrived and his ideas began taking hold in the late seventies.

Couldn't agree more.
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars