Osiris w Holdsworth Pickups- middle position?

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

marzzz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Osiris w Holdsworth Pickups- middle position?

Postby marzzz » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:53 pm

So I have an Osiris (alder with Translucent Teal) and the Holdsworth KH12N/B pickups, sounds great, love it. My only minor complaint is that when the selector is in position 3, it sounds more like a middle humbucker than two single coils- I am not getting any kind of remotely "quacky" or out of phase sound, it is deep and full. Checking the pickups themselves, I can confirm it is wired correctly and only the two inner coils are on in position 3. In positions 2/4, they do sound like single coil-ish pickups.

In comparison, my 2014 HH2X with the older 22-pole Holdsworth pickups (and pull-to-split knob) does get a nice "in between" sound. Now, I am not expecting either guitar to sound like an SSS Strat, but does anyone have any suggestions to improve the "quack/out of phase" tone in position 3 of the Osiris?

wickid
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Re: Osiris w Holdsworth Pickups- middle position?

Postby wickid » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:17 am

With a 5-way and H-H setup, Kiesel has pos 3 wired in series, so it is exactly like a middle HB comprised of coils of both p/ups. I wouldn't know how to wire that up so the separate coils are parallel. That wiring is pretty tricky.
Proud Carvin owner since 1985! My Carvin gear time capsule...

Dont miss the purple CT6!
(Any photobucket links are probably now broken. Grrrrrr!!!)

HarlowTheFish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby HarlowTheFish » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:34 am

wickid wrote:
With a 5-way and H-H setup, Kiesel has pos 3 wired in series, so it is exactly like a middle HB comprised of coils of both p/ups. I wouldn't know how to wire that up so the separate coils are parallel. That wiring is pretty tricky.

Dimarzio's got a ton of diagrams for the kind of thing OP is looking for, so I highly recommend checking out their stuff:
http://www.dimarzio.com/support/wiring-diagrams#1-4-3
There was a post here not long ago on the tech talk board iirc with the color codes for the kiesel pickups so you can translate them over.

marzzz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby marzzz » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:39 pm

wickid wrote:
OK, so I am not completely crazy that position 3 sounds like a HB pickup; it also begs the question why shouldn't position 3 be both humbuckers full as opposed to one coil from each?.

I will look into the pickup diagrams, but I suspect I should have ordered an SSH (with splittable HB) instead of the HH.

edit: now I see on the Seymour Duncan forums they call how my Osiris is wired a "virtual 3rd Humbucker."

Virtual 3rd humbucker

wickid
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby wickid » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:05 pm

marzzz wrote:
wickid wrote:
OK, so I am not completely crazy that position 3 sounds like a HB pickup; it also begs the question why shouldn't position 3 be both humbuckers full as opposed to one coil from each?.

Nope, not crazy at all.
I suppose with the 5-way they use, they couldn't figure a way to wire it up dual HBs in the middle, and went with a PRS-ish virtual HB, while also having tapped coils in pos 2, 4.
I studied the Carvin/Kiesel diag PLENTY, and cannot figure a good way to wire a mini switch in there to turn pos 3 into a virt HB or both HBs. Might need a 4 pole mini switch for that though?
Proud Carvin owner since 1985! My Carvin gear time capsule...

Dont miss the purple CT6!
(Any photobucket links are probably now broken. Grrrrrr!!!)

marzzz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby marzzz » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:07 pm

wickid wrote:
marzzz wrote:OK, so I am not completely crazy that position 3 sounds like a HB pickup; it also begs the question why shouldn't position 3 be both humbuckers full as opposed to one coil from each?.

Nope, not crazy at all.
I suppose with the 5-way they use, they couldn't figure a way to wire it up dual HBs in the middle, and went with a PRS-ish virtual HB, while also having tapped coils in pos 2, 4.
I studied the Carvin/Kiesel diag PLENTY, and cannot figure a good way to wire a mini switch in there to turn pos 3 into a virt HB or both HBs. Might need a 4 pole mini switch for that though?
OK, now that I understand the wiring implications, I see that wiring in parallel would be quite difficult. I never used the "both humbuckers" tone in a 2HB guitar, now that I know I have a "3rd Virtual HB" I will explore that tone more throughly.

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars