Floyd Rose 34 sustain block

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

gotw
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 183
Joined: Feb 2014

Floyd Rose 34 sustain block

Postby gotw » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:40 am

I bought a Bolt Plus about 4 years ago, with an Original Floyd Rose. I was looking to try a sustain block upgrade and the block on my trem says 34. Floyd Rose apparently doesn’t sell a 34 after market and I can’t seem to find any info on the blocks that come stock with the Original Floyd Rose. Also, the block looks goldish to me but I thought FRs did not ship brass blocsk by default. If I already have a 34 mm brass block then there is no need to upgrade. Can someone tell me what came with my Bolt Plus?
Thanks!

User avatar
UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Posts: 1383
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Omnipresence nearly achieved!

Re: Floyd Rose 34 sustain block

Postby UnexplodedCow » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:54 am

Carvin uses a custom sized (34mm) brass block. A 37mm block fits fine. I speak from experience, as I put a 37mm tungsten block in my Bolt+C without any clearance issues. Weight increased, though sustain did, as well. Flutters improved, all due to mass.

Depending on the model and maker, a block can be various material. Lower quality ones will have a zinc block. The OFR will always be brass by default, but can be ordered with steel, tungsten, or titanium options. Aftermarket blocks (such as stone blocks) are also an option.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

gotw
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 183
Joined: Feb 2014

Re: Floyd Rose 34 sustain block

Postby gotw » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:04 pm

UnexplodedCow wrote:Carvin uses a custom sized (34mm) brass block. A 37mm block fits fine. I speak from experience, as I put a 37mm tungsten block in my Bolt+C without any clearance issues. Weight increased, though sustain did, as well. Flutters improved, all due to mass.

Depending on the model and maker, a block can be various material. Lower quality ones will have a zinc block. The OFR will always be brass by default, but can be ordered with steel, tungsten, or titanium options. Aftermarket blocks (such as stone blocks) are also an option.


Did you notice an improvement in tone or liveliness of the guitar? I’m thinking of getting the 37 L block. Is it that noticeable going up 3 mm?
Thanks

User avatar
UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Posts: 1383
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Omnipresence nearly achieved!

Re: Floyd Rose 34 sustain block

Postby UnexplodedCow » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:31 pm

Well, it's not quite the same, since tungsten is nearly twice as dense as brass. The added mass was likely the reason for the change in "feel." Sustain was better, and fluttering (in particular) improved.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

User avatar
toejam
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Posts: 2078
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: New Jersey

Re: Floyd Rose 34 sustain block

Postby toejam » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:03 pm

gotw wrote:I bought a Bolt Plus about 4 years ago, with an Original Floyd Rose. I was looking to try a sustain block upgrade and the block on my trem says 34.

Also, the block looks goldish to me but I thought FRs did not ship brass blocsk by default. If I already have a 34 mm brass block then there is no need to upgrade. Can someone tell me what came with my Bolt Plus?
Thanks!

All Original Floyd blocks are brass by default... they're just plated with steel, always have been. Unless they're the Korean versions that are zinc.
As far as 34mm block, I've never heard of that. It's usually 32mm for recessed trems or 37mm or 42mm for non-recessed. Though, a 37 would probably work for recessed, as well.

User avatar
UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Posts: 1383
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Omnipresence nearly achieved!

Re: Floyd Rose 34 sustain block

Postby UnexplodedCow » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:42 am

toejam wrote:
gotw wrote:I bought a Bolt Plus about 4 years ago, with an Original Floyd Rose. I was looking to try a sustain block upgrade and the block on my trem says 34.

Also, the block looks goldish to me but I thought FRs did not ship brass blocsk by default. If I already have a 34 mm brass block then there is no need to upgrade. Can someone tell me what came with my Bolt Plus?
Thanks!

All Original Floyd blocks are brass by default... they're just plated with steel, always have been. Unless they're the Korean versions that are zinc.
As far as 34mm block, I've never heard of that. It's usually 32mm for recessed trems or 37mm or 42mm for non-recessed. Though, a 37 would probably work for recessed, as well.


Sorry, I was wrong. It's really a 35mm. This is the one I took out of my circa 2004ish Bolt+C:
Image

Came from this guitar:
Image[/url]
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

X1Glider
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 136
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Houston, TX

Re: Floyd Rose 34 sustain block

Postby X1Glider » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:41 am

The Tungsten blocks are great. As previously stated, more sustain and flutter reduction. It isn't the size that matters, it's the mass and tungsten is the best way to get it. The stone block, IMO, is just a stupid "trendy poser" thing of no extra value.
.
The "TremSetter" is supposed to reduce flutter and help with "return to zero" and I have one in my DC727. But it really doesn't do squat but waste your money.
.
Another worthwhile upgrade is the Floyd coated springs. But get the heaviest spring rate. You can eliminate 1 spring if you typically have 3 in the cavity. I prefer my "reverb tank" to be in my amp, not in the back of my guitar. It reduces the resonance in that cavity and you hear less of it through the amp. And that's one of two things that bother the crap out of me about tremolos.

User avatar
UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Posts: 1383
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Omnipresence nearly achieved!

Re: Floyd Rose 34 sustain block

Postby UnexplodedCow » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:34 am

Due to mass, Tungsten will increase flutter, as there is no damper on a Floyd.

This thread has given me a couple ideas on how to improve a Floyd, assuming one wants less flutter and spring ring, plus better return to zero. I haven't had a problem with return to zero, but plenty do, so I won't discount it. I really need to dig out my old drawings and get some metal to make the sucker. I imagine people might actually enjoy it.

A few things that affect it: springs moving slightly on the claw or in the block, posts not being snug in the inserts, and wobbling/moving slightly, and ill-fitting knife edge and groove are probably the biggest factors I've seen.

As for spring ring, I've seen foam, tissues, or the rubber-coated "silent" springs. I've not really noticed a problem on my guitars, but I have definitely heard it on others. I think body density may be a factor in that.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

User avatar
ioneater
Carvinite
Carvinite
Posts: 727
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Gulfport

Re: Floyd Rose 34 sustain block

Postby ioneater » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:51 pm

I don't care for the spring ring typical of fulcrum trems either. I stuff rubber bands, 1 in each spring, and never hear it again. Don't go with skinny bands, they will end up finding their way out the side of the spring, changing the tension and causing stability problems!

User avatar
toejam
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Posts: 2078
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: New Jersey

Re: Floyd Rose 34 sustain block

Postby toejam » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:00 pm

UnexplodedCow wrote:Sorry, I was wrong. It's really a 35mm. This is the one I took out of my circa 2004ish Bolt+C:
Image

Came from this guitar:
Image[/url]

Interesting. Guess they got Floyd to make them a custom size. I've also heard some people talk about Charvel also using an odd size in recent years besides the standard 32, 37 or 42.


Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests