JB200c tung oil abalone

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

KurtSchrotenboer

JB200c tung oil abalone

Postby KurtSchrotenboer » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:28 am

Haven't played this guitar much since I got a JL-7. It's mostly been in the case for years. Today I thought I'd try it out again and was shocked to see that the fret board now has yellowish blotches around each of the abalone inlays. There is no fret board wear. What could cause this? Anyone else have this blemish? Thing of it is that it is only where the abalone inlays are and no place else. I'm thinking it's the glue they used leaching out into the tung oil. I'm wondering if I should take it to a shop and have the tung oil buffed out and maybe resurfaced. I contacted Kiesel about it. Waiting to hear back. I figure that I am on my own with this problem so I'm looking for a solution other than selling it at a huge loss before it gets worse.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: JB200c tung oil abalone

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:37 am

Here is another thread about it, and here's a post within that thread:

http://www.kieselguitarsbbs.com/viewtop ... 97#p517497

fatfretty wrote:I did some research on the internet, and asked a local luthier about the yellowing issue, and the consensus view seems to be that the yellowing is caused by a reaction between the tung oil or polyurethane, whichever is used on the neck, and cyanoacrylate glue. here is a reply I found on another website.

[ Get the answer by Jim :
We had a problem last year with the glue we had been using for 20 years. Same brand. They apparently changed the formula and it yellowed after being exposed to sunlight for a while. We used the glue on the frets and dots. It soaks into the wood and there is nothing we can do about it. We tried sanding it out and refinishing the neck, but it soaks in so far you can’t get it out.
Unfortunately when a vender changes formulas of products, they don’t tell you and find out later the hard way.]

I'm not sure if this is the case here, but it does appear to be the prime suspect.

KurtSchrotenboer

Postby KurtSchrotenboer » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:25 pm

thank you

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:04 pm

I don't think anybody in that thread posted any sort of response Kiesel. It's still worth calling. Who knows, they might do something. If it's past the warranty, they might not, but you've got nothing to lose.

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars