Kiesel Pickups

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

wejammin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Kiesel Pickups

Postby wejammin » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:33 am

I'm curious to know if Kiesel is close to reaching a point where they are satisfied with their pickup line (no pun intended). If so, when can we see it, hear it, and get a comparison? One huge problem with buying Carvins (and Kiesels) has been not knowing what they are like to play and how they sound. Not being able to play them will always be a problem under this business model, but it should be possible to hear what we might be buying.

If this info exists, I hope someone will point it out. It might be an effective sales tool to make that a feature on the website.

Edit: I see this info and demos are available in the accessories section. I'd suggest they be out front and not buried. Act like you're proud of them. And some kind of comparison chart might also be helpful.
Last edited by wejammin on Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: Kiesel Pickups

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:52 pm

In a couple of somewhat recent live Q and a videos on Facebook, Jeff has said that they are working on a series of demonstration videos for their pickups, even building a specific guitar that they are planning to use, I believe using the standard body and neck woods.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:58 am

Even with those demos, I am sure people will still be skeptical and want to swap them anyway. There always seems to be some stigma around stock pickups.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

amon
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby amon » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:49 pm

I just want some specs on the Kiesel single-coils and the Beryllium humbuckers.

kdawg
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby kdawg » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:25 pm

UnexplodedCow wrote:Even with those demos, I am sure people will still be skeptical and want to swap them anyway. There always seems to be some stigma around stock pickups.

I'd have to agree there, however I was pleasantly surprised with the berylliums in my GH3. I have no desire to swap them out for anything.

tbonesullivan
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby tbonesullivan » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:51 pm

I have found that specs and clips are both no substitute for actually playing with the pickups in your guitar. It's not just about sound, it's about feel, and how they react to your picking. Knowing the resonant peak and DC resistance is nice, but as we've seen with companies like SD and Dimarzio, the distance from the magnets to the pole pieces matters, as does the size and strength of the magnet.
Guitars: Bolt in Electric Blue, Cobalt 750T
Basses: B4A in classic sunburst , B5 in sunsetburst, XB75 in TPB, PB4 in Blue Burst, LB70F in Pearl blue

stultzies9
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby stultzies9 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:43 pm

I just got my Delos with the Beryllium pickups, and I'm digging the hell out of them. Very nice touch response. Bright without going full icepick. Lots of clarity. I think I'm keeping 'em.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:49 am

kdawg wrote:
UnexplodedCow wrote:Even with those demos, I am sure people will still be skeptical and want to swap them anyway. There always seems to be some stigma around stock pickups.

I'd have to agree there, however I was pleasantly surprised with the berylliums in my GH3. I have no desire to swap them out for anything.

Around here, most guys like the stock ones, or swap in another Carvin/Kiesel branded model. I've also swapped them in to replace other brands of pickups. Outside of these forums, stock pickups get a bad rep, though the Lithiums helped change that. In person, I've never had someone dislike the pickups, especially the M22 series. Granted, that was through my setup, which was adjusted for those pickups, but I always received positive remarks from people who'd not tried them.

tbonesullivan
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby tbonesullivan » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:39 am

Personally, I liked the old naming conventions, and find the use of words like "Lithium" and "Beryllium" to be almost misleading. Those are metals, and ones that are used in actual electronic and musical devices. You'd kind of expect a "Beryllium" pickup to have the metal Beryllium in it. Beryllium Bronze is a real thing, used in high end trombones.

I'd rather have them just have numbers, or maybe a name that gave some description of what they actually sound like.

People have been ripping out stock pickups for years, and it had little to do with how they looked. They just wanted "that sound" that you only really get from specific aftermarket pickups.
Guitars: Bolt in Electric Blue, Cobalt 750T
Basses: B4A in classic sunburst , B5 in sunsetburst, XB75 in TPB, PB4 in Blue Burst, LB70F in Pearl blue

HarlowTheFish
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby HarlowTheFish » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:18 am

I mean, honestly the Lithiums are my favorite higher output pickups and I'm probably gonna get a covered Beryllium for my Strandy's bridge. I'm glad they're doing some demos, I think that'll really help new people figure out what they want.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:05 am

Lithiums were middle-ground for me, and I felt that the M22V was a better version of the K12N. The M22SD is what I prefer in a bridge pickup, and the K12B has a spike in the frequency that bothers my ear. I'll say that I liked the response of the K12B; if that spike were removed, and some bass added, it would've been fine, but I became tired of toting an extra EQ pedal around to fix it, swapping out to the M22V/SD in my V6, and later to the Fluence Moderns.

The M22V or N are seriously excellent neck pickups, and some of the best I've heard anywhere. The M22SD isn't for everyone, but it's versatile, and packs a punch to the amp.

HarlowTheFish
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby HarlowTheFish » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:01 pm

UnexplodedCow wrote:Lithiums were middle-ground for me, and I felt that the M22V was a better version of the K12N. The M22SD is what I prefer in a bridge pickup, and the K12B has a spike in the frequency that bothers my ear. I'll say that I liked the response of the K12B; if that spike were removed, and some bass added, it would've been fine, but I became tired of toting an extra EQ pedal around to fix it, swapping out to the M22V/SD in my V6, and later to the Fluence Moderns.

The M22V or N are seriously excellent neck pickups, and some of the best I've heard anywhere. The M22SD isn't for everyone, but it's versatile, and packs a punch to the amp.

I need to get some of the 22 pole pickups when I have an axe to try them on, because everyone here speaks so highly of them that I'm really curious. I have some pretty specific requirements for the Strandy, so that wouldn't do it, but maybe when I finally get around to getting a semi-hollow.
For the spike the Liths have (around 1.5k IIRC) I found that dropping them as low as they'll go kills that pretty quickly and makes them a lot more expressive (as far as getting different sounds just by changing how you pick in the same phrase or lick). I guess it probably helps that I have mine in a decently dark guitar.

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Doug » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:13 pm

I love the M22SD/M22N.
The M22V is pretty awesome as well I just find that the N sounds a little more...'necky' to me. Whatever that means.lol
facebook.com/hamfistrocks

Koshchei
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Koshchei » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:42 am

I love the Lithiums. They're a lot clearer than what you'd expect from normal humbuckers, but sound good for just about anything. Split, they're very telecaster-like.

mikealpine
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby mikealpine » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:10 pm

stultzies9 wrote:I just got my Delos with the Beryllium pickups, and I'm digging the hell out of them. Very nice touch response. Bright without going full icepick. Lots of clarity. I think I'm keeping 'em.

Thinking of a build like this, torn between Lithium and Beryllium, maybe mixing and matching, with the Lithium in the neck.

emux2
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby emux2 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:28 pm

UnexplodedCow wrote:L. I'll say that I liked the response of the K12B; if that spike were removed, and some bass added, it would've been fine, but I became tired of toting an extra EQ pedal around to fix it, swapping out to the M22V/SD in my V6, and later to the Fluence Moderns.

How do the fluence moderns compare to the M22SD/V?

DannyB819
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby DannyB819 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:37 pm

tbonesullivan wrote:Personally, I liked the old naming conventions, and find the use of words like "Lithium" and "Beryllium" to be almost misleading. Those are metals, and ones that are used in actual electronic and musical devices. You'd kind of expect a "Beryllium" pickup to have the metal Beryllium in it. Beryllium Bronze is a real thing, used in high end trombones.

I'd rather have them just have numbers, or maybe a name that gave some description of what they actually sound like.

People have been ripping out stock pickups for years, and it had little to do with how they looked. They just wanted "that sound" that you only really get from specific aftermarket pickups.

That'd make too much sense. You aren't thinking "rad" enough.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:30 pm

emux2 wrote:How do the fluence moderns compare to the M22SD/V?

I personally love the Fluence Moderns. I can get very close to the sound of an M22V with the 2nd voice of the neck pickup. The 1st voice is more like the M22N. I find them both very useful. The Fluence bridge is like a smoothed out EMG 81 in voice 1 (something I like), and the 2nd voice sounds very much like the M22SD. Basically the 2nd voices are designed to sound more like a passive pickup, and I think they do. Add the volume control that doesn't change tone at all (like any active), and if one wants to tack on coil splitting as well as the "HF tilt" that acts like a passive pickup driving a long cable (kind of an EQ shift of sorts) and the pickups really have all kinds of voicings. The response is quite even, so even under heavy distortion, the individual strings ring clearly. It's kind of how an EMG responds, but clearer (smoother).
Beyond the tone options, the response of the pickups is unlike any passive I've played. The "feel" is so immediate that getting sound out of the pickups feels effortless, and some have asked if my pink guitar has a sustainer in it, due to how long it can hold notes under high gain. It doesn't feel compressed, but attack is immediate if I want it to be. It's been a year so far, and I've honestly barely touched a passive pickup guitar in that time. Whenever I do, I feel like the guitar itself is lagging behind a bit. EMGs felt like a souped-up passive, and I didn't expect the Fluences to feel the way they do; it was a pleasant surprise.

I don't have them in every guitar because sometimes I do want the sound of an older circuit, or the noise of a single coil. But for high gain shred, or really technical stuff, these are it for me as much as an M22V/SD, or assuming I can't get those, a Wilde L500R/XL are my passive choices.

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars