I'm excited to buy my first new guitar in over 30 years!

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

AxRookie

Re: I'm excited to buy my first new guitar in over 30 years!

Postby AxRookie » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:07 pm

I just didn't want to get a brand new guitar and start taking it apart...

I guess you have to be a big name star to get that kind of service, Even if you're buying a brand new guitar...

AxRookie

Postby AxRookie » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:22 am

I suppose adding one of their 9-volt battery compartments to the guitar they are building for me would be out of the question?

I have been using N-tune onboard guitar tuners for a long time and they work great and I have one for this new guitar their building for me, I have no problem with having to install it myself but it requires a 9-volt battery that will need to mounted somewhere's and I doubt there will be room for a 9-volt battery in the electronic cavity ???

Adding a battery compartment to the guitar really should be done before the guitar is painted and I would happily pay whatever they would need to charge for that service because in all cases it would be far better for something like that to be done by the guitar builder than any other person to add something like that...

HarlowTheFish
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby HarlowTheFish » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:48 am

AxRookie wrote:I suppose adding one of their 9-volt battery compartments to the guitar they are building for me would be out of the question?

I have been using N-tune onboard guitar tuners for a long time and they work great and I have one for this new guitar their building for me, I have no problem with having to install it myself but it requires a 9-volt battery that will need to mounted somewhere's and I doubt there will be room for a 9-volt battery in the electronic cavity ???

Adding a battery compartment to the guitar really should be done before the guitar is painted and I would happily pay whatever they would need to charge for that service because in all cases it would be far better for something like that to be done by the guitar builder than any other person to add something like that...

If you haven't ordered already they might do it, but for an order that's already been placed probably not. It would be an upcharge though, and no 10-day trial.

AxRookie

Postby AxRookie » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:15 pm

"It would be an upcharge though, and no 10-day trial"

That would be very reasonable and acceptable.

I do have some thoughts about the question of when it could be requested, If the order has been placed or not I would think that it should depend on what stage that order has progressed to, For example, I placed my order two weeks ago and if my order hasn't progressed past the stage when the basic milling takes place I would think that if it WAS at all possible before the order was placed it should still be possible at that point and I would understand if the order had moved past that point it would no longer be possible, I don't think that would be an unreasonable expectation assuming it was ever possible, to begin with.

HarlowTheFish
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby HarlowTheFish » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:24 pm

AxRookie wrote:"It would be an upcharge though, and no 10-day trial"

That would be very reasonable and acceptable.

I do have some thoughts about the question of when it could be requested, If the order has been placed or not I would think that it should depend on what stage that order has progressed to, For example, I placed my order two weeks ago and if my order hasn't progressed past the stage when the basic milling takes place I would think that if it WAS at all possible before the order was placed it should still be possible at that point and I would understand if the order had moved past that point it would no longer be possible, I don't think that would be an unreasonable expectation assuming it was ever possible, to begin with.

Like Spud said, they usually start a build a couple of days after the order is placed, and due to the way they organize the shop and track builds going through it, any change (even to a part of the build that hasn't been finished yet) is pretty disruptive to their process, which - despite how customizable their builds are - functions basically like a production line. Someone needs to go through the shop, track down your build, make all the necessary notes, charge you the extra, and make the needed edits in their system. It takes man-hours away from other things, complicates the process, and increases the potential for errors in the build by a good amount.
Complexity is the enemy of efficiency, and changing things after the build adds a lot of complexity.

AxRookie

Postby AxRookie » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:47 pm

Well, I just talked to Kiesel and it was something that could be done before the order was placed BUT after the order has been placed no matter how far the order has progressed they refuse to make any changes to the order no matter how long ago the order was placed or what the change may be, I find that very disappointing, to put it mildly, and it will definitely have an impact on my enthusiasm for the brand and the company on the whole and any recommendation I may give to anyone in the market for a new guitar.

Very disappointing, Hell this just plain sucks... :wall:

I'm thinking now it wasn't a good idea to pay for the guitar in full when the order was placed and I'm regretting that decision!

"due to the way they organize the shop and track builds going through it, any change (even to a part of the build that hasn't been finished yet) is pretty disruptive to their process, which - despite how customizable their builds are - functions basically like a production line. Someone needs to go through the shop, track down your build, make all the necessary notes, charge you the extra, and make the needed edits in their system. It takes man-hours away from other things, complicates the process, and increases the potential for errors in the build by a good amount.
Complexity is the enemy of efficiency, and changing things after the build adds a lot of complexity'

Come on now, I've watched the video tour of the factory and have seen the basic process for their building of guitars and it's not exactly along the line of building an iPhone or something like that, It is basically like a production line BUT the reality is it is not so much a true production line that at no point a change could be made without a disruption to their process, I just don't accept that as being the case from what I've seen after watching every single video anyone has that show how they build guitars and their facilities... Over my life, I've worked in many types of factories making many different things so I have some idea of how things are made...

AxRookie

Postby AxRookie » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:21 pm

Well I just called them again and tried to have an honest and upfront conversation with the salesperson "mike jones" and I told him I was considering canceling my order and pay the restocking fee of 20% and then reorder the guitar because that's how important it was to me that the factory that is building the guitar add the battery compartment and at no time was I belligerent or did I use questionable language and he accused me of talking to him in some sort of unacceptable way and I said "how would you like me to talk to you" and he hung up !

Like I said at no time was I belligerent or did I use questionable language, As an example conversation he mentioned once the guitar was finished and shipped to me I could turn around and send it back and they could start a process called something like a "rebuild" and they would charge something like around $40 so I ask "why must it be sent to me just for me to turn around and send it back costing all that time and money" and he told me "that is their rules" and I say "really, kiesel rules are that rigid, so the only way is to send it to me just for me to turn around and send it right back to them ??? That the only way ???" to which he said "yes" and I said "Well it would have been nice if you mentioned that was a way to get what I wanted when I asked about any possible way to add a 9-volt battery compartment when we talked about that one specific thing I called about 2 hours earlier" and he said "well I can't always tell you about every option that we have because we have so many" and I chuckled as I said "come on mike we are talking about one thing here, Adding a place for a 9-volt battery and it turns out besides adding it to the order before it was placed there is ONLY one other option which you just now told me about, what are you talking about you can't tell me about every option, There is only one option other than cancling the guitar and reordering it?" and I chuckled again AND in a friendly way as if I was talking to a friend and he then tells me "if your going to talk to me like that I'll hang up, I'm just trying to save you some money" and I replied "talk to you like what? I'm just trying to have an honest and open conversation with you???" "I'm sold on the guitar and I'm all in, I don't need a 10-day trial I want this guitar" and he says again "look if you keep talking to me like that I'm going to hang up" and the rest you know!

WHAT THE HELL ??? am I missing something or was that lousy customer service ???

No exaggeration OR admission that was the conversation!!!

Now I'm a bit pissed off, No I take that back, I'm very pissed off!

That was hands down the worst customer relations I've ever experienced!!!

I've had better customer relations at wallmart trying to return a 10 dollar item without a receipt!

I just bought and paid in full an over $2,000.00 dollar guitar and I get hung up on??? That guy acted like he was doing me a big favor just talking to me! WHAT THE HELL KIESEL ???

If I didn't want this guitar so badly I would eat the 20% restocking fee and tell them to shove the guitar where the sun doesn't shine! BUT I do want the guitar AND I really like that a portion of what I paid for the guitar will go to helping Jason Becker in some way!

AxRookie

Postby AxRookie » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:16 pm

AND I will add this, even if I love this guitar, and I know I will, if someone at Kiesel doesn't reach out to me and at least try to make this right I will never have anything good to say to anybody about the Kiesel guitar company! AND it's a safe bet I will be talking about what I just experienced online! :soapbox:

AxRookie

Postby AxRookie » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:34 pm

As it turns out, I am not the only one who got this kind of customer service from mike jones, There have been many more!

How does someone that bad at their job keep it???

https://www.google.ca/search?q=kiesel+m ... ent=safari

AxRookie

Postby AxRookie » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:54 pm

A person tried to call me from Kiesel Guitars customer service but I wasn't near the phone so I missed the call, I'll def call him tomorrow as he left a phone number and an extension to call him direct!

I feel better already!

smoobg
Links/Contact:

Postby smoobg » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:58 pm

I ordered my first guitar in 18 years, and had Mike Jones as my order guy too. He was cool. I did email him twice asking about changes after I had already ordered. He patiently explained why it was too late to alter the order after they had started on it. I was apprehensive and second guessed my decisions, but once my guitar arrived (3 weeks ago), it was all good. You’re going to get a killer guitar that will be the envy of all of your guitar buddies. 3 months feels like forever to wait. I watched every unboxing/Kiesel guitar video I could find. You’ll make it. I posted my unboxing video on the guitar forum.

AxRookie

Postby AxRookie » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:01 pm

Just got done watching some Top Gear video tours of the shop and I love everything about how you guys at Kiesel Guitars CREATE your guitars!

I gota stop watching these videos because I just get pumped up looking forward to the day I see my first Kiesel Guitar ever and it just makes time slow down dangit! lol :woot:

For a long time, I really thought I'd never find a guitar that had everything I was looking for and then someone turned me on to Kiesel in a post in a guitar forum AND I dam near missed the post! Good thing I went back to read through the posts again!

AxRookie

Postby AxRookie » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:57 am

AxRookie wrote:A person tried to call me from Kiesel Guitars customer service but I wasn't near the phone so I missed the call, I'll def call him tomorrow as he left a phone number and an extension to call him direct!

I feel better already!
I've tried to call a few times today to speak with "joe" but there doesn't seem to be anyone at the receptionist's desk to answer my call and to connect me with Joe's extension?

I left a message with my phone number and why I was calling, If I don't hear from anybody in an hour or two I'll try calling a few time again...

AxRookie

Postby AxRookie » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:13 pm

AxRookie wrote:
AxRookie wrote:A person tried to call me from Kiesel Guitars customer service but I wasn't near the phone so I missed the call, I'll def call him tomorrow as he left a phone number and an extension to call him direct!

I feel better already!
I've tried to call a few times today to speak with "joe" but there doesn't seem to be anyone at the receptionist's desk to answer my call and to connect me with Joe's extension?

I left a message with my phone number and why I was calling, If I don't hear from anybody in an hour or two I'll try calling a few time again...

I just got a hold of "Joe", He had called me on Friday in response to an e-mail I had sent after the phone incident and was reaching out to see if everything was alright or if I had any problems with anything in general.

Nice guy!

I quickly explained what had happened and just as quickly jokingly expressed my view that the guy I had an issue with should never be allowed near a phone again lol, And that was pretty much that, I told him that I was over what happened pretty much the same day it happened.

He asked me what size shirt I wear (med now because I'm getting older and fatter) and I told him that I appreciated him taking the time to reach out to me and that It means a lot to me that someone did!

And that was it...

AxRookie

Postby AxRookie » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:59 am

HarlowTheFish wrote:
AxRookie wrote:I'd be more than willing to pay more within reason up to a 3rd more or $1,000 to get what I want, So even with that kind of money, it's still not viable?

$1000

Kiesel Edition

:lol: :lol: :lol:

If I recall correctly, they start at whatever model's base price plus $3000.
I just saw this, Of course, the $1,000 was on top of the price of the guitar so if it's a $3,500 dollar guitar it would be a $4,500...

I did say "a 3rd more...

HarlowTheFish
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby HarlowTheFish » Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:24 am

AxRookie wrote:If I recall correctly, they start at whatever model's base price plus $3000.
I just saw this, Of course, the $1,000 was on top of the price of the guitar so if it's a $3,500 dollar guitar it would be a $4,500...

I did say "a 3rd more...[/quote]
A Kiesel Edition is like cost +$3k starting last I heard of anyone ordering one.

AxRookie

Postby AxRookie » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:42 pm

HarlowTheFish wrote:A Kiesel Edition is like cost +$3k starting last I heard of anyone ordering one.

This thread is about the JASON BECKER TRIBUTE guitar, Not the Kiesel Edition and the base price of a JB200C is $1,799.00...

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars