Aries problem, high pitch/hollow sound on theLow E and A strings

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Iplaymetronome

Re: Aries problem, high pitch/hollow sound on theLow E and A strings

Postby Iplaymetronome » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:12 pm

It's probably just the angle of the picture that makes the pickups look really close to the strings but have you tried lowering the pickups and see if that changes things? I've had other higher output pickups do that when they're up close.

jeb

Postby jeb » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:08 am

Iplaymetronome wrote:It's probably just the angle of the picture that makes the pickups look really close to the strings but have you tried lowering the pickups and see if that changes things? I've had other higher output pickups do that when they're up close.

Hi!!
Yes.. I lowered the pups completely and the sound was there.

Jeb

jeb

Postby jeb » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:00 am

So!

After reading all your suggestions... I'll contact Mr. Joe Stone today to ask him to:
- Replace the nut
- Replace the pups for the non convered version... black or zebra can't decide hehe.
- Check the fret leveling.

I really hope they will accept that.

Thanks folks for all your suggestions!

Jeb

jeb

Postby jeb » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:33 am

Finally got the guitar back....
Black pickups, the nut/neck/frets seeem fine.
The problem is not resolved :(

I just ask for a confirmation that the pups where replaced and it's not the original pups with the covers removed.

Jeb

Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Omsong » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:58 pm

It's easy to hear your "issue" in your sound clip. Reminds me of a problem I was having with my stop bridge on my Fatboy. I discovered that one of the intonation adjustment screws in the saddles was vibrating at odd frequencies which caused subtle, but annoying ringing (just like your sound clip). Those screws are supposed to have tiny wire tension springs on them to prevent this, but I've found their strength to occasionally be insufficient to firmly hold the screws. Usually, a slight push on the saddle block (which puts some tension on the screw threads) eliminates the ringing.

I also get fret buzz on mine when others don't. It's caused (I believe) because I tend to pick with a downward or angled attack to the string (best attack on mandolin to get max tone). This causes it to vibrate perpendicular, rather than parallel, to the fretboard, but requires a higher action (ideal for moving an acoustic soundboard). If the action is low this might create artificial and unwanted harmonics (the string just barely hitting the next higher fret) or, if worse, next higher fret buzz. For years, I've also played acoustic instruments with heavier gauge and higher tension strings. As a result, on electric, my picking force is (by habit) heavier than it needs to be, which aggravates the tendency to get buzzing. So, some of my problem is technique related.
Ichi on Jobutsu (Enlightenment in one tone.)

Kiesel
- '17 Fatboy, Deep Lava Flame
Past tense
- '02 Fatboy; '04 CT6M; '07 Fatboy; '11 Bolt+

jeb

Postby jeb » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:02 am

Thanks for your input!!

Now that I have the guitar with me, I'll be able the test the screw and the spring.
When I removed the piezo saddle to test a regular saddle, I installed it with the same screw and spring. :shock:

Jeb

jeb

Postby jeb » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:26 am

I swapped the screw and spring with another string.
Unfortunately, nothing changed. I tried pushing the saddle while playing and the problem still there.

I did not yet receive a reply from kiesel if the pups where replaced or the covers where just removed.
The next step for me is to install a spare dimarzio pup I have to confirm that it's not coming from the lithium pup.

I'm starting to loosing fate... :(

Jeb

stickman-393

Postby stickman-393 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:08 pm

Don't kill me... but could this be your special touch as the player? Do other folks get the same results when they play the guitar?

jeb

Postby jeb » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:29 am

stickman-393 wrote:Don't kill me... but could this be your special touch as the player? Do other folks get the same results when they play the guitar?

HAHA no problem!

The thing is that I never had this problem with any of my guitars in my life. Right now, I have a music-man, a Ibanez and a Kiesel TL60. All of them sound perfect with my playing technique.

I'll look around for a another lefty player in my area to see if it's really me hehe. But I really doubt that!

Thanks

Jeb

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:03 pm

Does your Ares have the arm bevel? If so, that could be subtly changing your picking angle, causing the difference.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

jeb

Postby jeb » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:18 pm

UnexplodedCow wrote:Does your Ares have the arm bevel? If so, that could be subtly changing your picking angle, causing the difference.

Yup my guitar have the bevel.
I just pass the last hour trying different angles with the pic/hand/forearm. The problem is always clearly audible. :(

At this point I wondering if the is a problem with the chambered body.
I think I'll go to my guitar tech with my TL60 and Aries to get all the electronic swapped between the 2 guitars... If the problem still there, I'll have the answer that there a construction problem with the guitar.

I still not get any news from the Kiesel support. :(

Jeb

HarlowTheFish
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby HarlowTheFish » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:01 pm

My CL is chambered, and it definitely doesn't do that so I doubt that's it. I still think it might be something in the fretwork causing weird harmonics, so make sure to ask your tech to double check that as well while he has the guitar in.

Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Omsong » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:41 pm

HarlowTheFish wrote:My CL is chambered, and it definitely doesn't do that so I doubt that's it. I still think it might be something in the fretwork causing weird harmonics, so make sure to ask your tech to double check that as well while he has the guitar in.

That's a good suggestion. I would play that note/chord and then put pressure on each fret with a pencil erasure (or whatever) to see if the "harmonic" stops. Maybe a fret is loose or resonant.
Ichi on Jobutsu (Enlightenment in one tone.)

Kiesel
- '17 Fatboy, Deep Lava Flame
Past tense
- '02 Fatboy; '04 CT6M; '07 Fatboy; '11 Bolt+

HarlowTheFish
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby HarlowTheFish » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:04 pm

Omsong wrote:That's a good suggestion. I would play that note/chord and then put pressure on each fret with a pencil erasure (or whatever) to see if the "harmonic" stops. Maybe a fret is loose or resonant.

I have an old Washburn that does something similar on frets 3-4 on the low E because there's a high 16th fret causing harmonics like if you were just touching it with your finger.

wickid
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby wickid » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:11 am

This is just a wild stab in the dark …
I posted a while back about my Moss Green CT6C (Floyd) but cant find it. My high E string was contacting the side of the *back* "V" of the lock nut just ever so slightly (as in higher up on 1 of the "sloped" "/"' sides - if that makes sense), with the string pull break angle to the tuner (3x3 CT headstock). Even when locked down, somehow I was getting a muted sitar-like sound from that string when played open. It happened almost all the time in normal playing position, but less often lying on its back (like for a string change or something). Its like a micrometer of error or something.
I never really resolved this - a string tree was only a slight improvement.

But if you're fretting this might not apply anyway.
Proud Carvin owner since 1985! My Carvin gear time capsule...

Dont miss the purple CT6!
(Any photobucket links are probably now broken. Grrrrrr!!!)

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars