NGD, DC600 California burst ghost

Post Pictures of Your Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Gear - No Cowbelling!

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

bandit2013
Carvinite
Carvinite

NGD, DC600 California burst ghost

Postby bandit2013 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:07 am

I ventured out to a different city in NC. My typical 100 mile trip would take me to Raleigh NC but this time I decided to go to Fayetteville as it was the same distance from my home. (actually took longer to get there due to all back roads and not main highway that was direct). I went to a family owned business first (Edwards Music) to look around and see what may be of interest. It was the usual stop, talk guitars and such, show pictures of my Carvin's I have on my cell phone. Sure enough the guitar guru there also has a Carvin, you know how it goes from there...... After a few hours I decided to leave, was considering just going home but I drove all this way so why not go to the GC that was 2 miles away? I got to the GC and walked in. Probably one of the smallest satellite stores I have been in. All of the worth while guitars were 30 feet off the ground. High dollar at top, the lower on the wall the lower the price. I do not blame them for this but I did not come to play low dollar bargain instruments. Just when I thought I have seen enough and was ready to leave I looked at the other area where they had the used gear. Yep, anything worthy of playing was at the top of the wall. Then I saw it glowing and reflecting this California burst with an orange Hue. What is that I wondered. Had the Greg Howe look, not sure if it is a black faded denim on flamed maple with the accent of orange but it definitely looked very interesting to me. I could not see the headstock and if I did I could not make out the gold lettering on it as it was too far away to read. All of a sudden while I was backing up to get a better look at it the clerk behind the desk asked me if I needed some help. I asked what is that guitar up there as I was pointing to it. The good looking one at the top. He said it was a Kiesel. Before he could explain who that is I said can you get it down. First thing I noticed it has the Graph Tech Floyd Rose, Now my interest has deepended.

The next thing I noticed was the Gold Evo Jumbo Frets, not to mention the amazing birds eye maple fret board with diamond abalone makers.

I turned it over and thought what is that body wood. First assumption was walnut due to the grain pattern, the lighting in the store was not as radiant where I was looking at it. When I got home and looked it over some more I soon realized it was mahogany (I do not live in the dark, perhaps it was the glow from the front that threw me off), Some nice streaks in the wood grain.

And for the front view which is the primary reason what attracted me to this fine instrument....

Trying to get this thread in with pictures from photobucket is a reminder why I sort of dropped off the radar in here. Too many adds that pop up when trying to do anything with that site. Very annoying.
Guitars:CT624C, DC400W(2), DC200, DC400, DC100, CS6, CT6, BoltC (2), Cobalt 350s, Amps: Mesa Boogie Roadster, RA100, Mark V combo, Carvin V3MC, Mark Bass combo, Drums: Roland TD-15KV (extended kit),Recording: Tascam DP-32SD, RODE NT1-A, Shure SM57, EV RE320, Rivera Rock Crusher Recording

bandit2013
Carvinite
Carvinite

Re: NGD, DC600 California burst ghost

Postby bandit2013 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:24 am

This guitar plays like a dream. It almost rivals my CT624C. Awesome string action. I got in a debate on the neck radius and I said to my friend at work it has a 12 inch radius. He claimed it was not, it is more like a 15 as it is too flat to be 12. I did not correct him that the 15 is not an option, perhaps 14 inch would be more appropriate. I did measure the fretboard radius and it measures at 12 inches. I could not tell if the Graph Tech Floyd had the radius claimed on their web site but it seems to be the same as my other Floyd equipped guitars.

Acoustic saddles, sound great on a clean channel. Even better though a Fishman Aura preamp with mic and instrument modeling. Heavy gain channels do not do it any justice.
I wanted to see what happens when the battery is removed. I get sound with no battery and it remains at the same volume regardless of where the volume control is or what position the active/passive switch is. Mostly due to the fact the piezo saddles will generate voltage due to string vibration. I am still on the fence as to what the passive controls are doing except for the volume. What I assume to be the tone pot is not, it seems more like an adjustable gain or very soft tone control. The Kiesel Lithum pups almost sound like they are boosted by the active preamp on board. Not sure as there is no information on the general Kiesel website or any type of schematic for the preamp. Would like to know what is going on there to better understand the controls a bit more. Is it tone or gain? Makes me wonder if it was modified. I did look under the control cover for a quick view. Tone pot does have a square cap on it but could not make out the value at first glance. 1pF or 0.1uF as it was hard to tell. This guitar rocks on the gain channels with the passive pups. (reason why I pulled the battery out was to verify if the passives were influenced by the preamp and I believe they are to some extent but could not disable the piezo influence without the battery to hear a difference). I am impressed once again. Who ever was the original owner ordered this guitar with the right feature set. Probably one of the best used instruments I ever bought. Even better the guitar was marked down $200 form the tag, The clerk claimed every 3 months they have been marking it down, original asking price was slightly above 2k, I picked it up for 1499. Not bad for a mint guitar. I was hoping for case candy with the pick list of what was ordered. Only thing in there was the general instructions and no information on the active controls.
Guitars:CT624C, DC400W(2), DC200, DC400, DC100, CS6, CT6, BoltC (2), Cobalt 350s, Amps: Mesa Boogie Roadster, RA100, Mark V combo, Carvin V3MC, Mark Bass combo, Drums: Roland TD-15KV (extended kit),Recording: Tascam DP-32SD, RODE NT1-A, Shure SM57, EV RE320, Rivera Rock Crusher Recording

Treadplatedual
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Treadplatedual » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:37 am

Because of the acoustic saddles, I wonder if that's actually an LPM signature... Either way great find! It's beautiful, and I bet you got it for a song and dance :)
2017 SH6 - Piezo/S22s
2017 A6H - Lithiums

Pod HD500x
Boss Katana (For the funzies)

bandit2013
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby bandit2013 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:31 am

I had thought the same thing. I does have a slightly thinner neck than the DC400 and my other guitars except the DC200 (not that thin). I doubt it has graphite rods as I can persuade the neck to move. I cannot do that with my CT624C and I know that one has the graphite rods. Not sure when the Kiesel Logo was available for the headstock. Guitar came in a Carvin marked Case so that may help dating the guitar. Tuners have Kiesel on them as does my CT624C but I opted for the Carvin logo and got a case that has the Kiesel badge on it. I will send in the serial number to get more specifics if I need them. I really do like the instrument, best DC series guitar I now own. (well they are all good).

kdawg
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby kdawg » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:56 pm

That top is the shizzle. Nice find, sir!

ilyti
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby ilyti » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:17 pm

Dang, that is a nice find. Congrats! The scale length would be 25.5 if it's a Lee Mcsomething signature.

bandit2013
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby bandit2013 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:11 am

I am amazed at how well this guitar plays. It rivals my CT624C. I installed some Elixer strings and really like the feel. For a Floyd equipped guitar the Elixer seems to be the best. TOM bridge (or even a Kahler ) I would stick with uncoated strings. Since the Floyd crushes the string at the bridge you get good metal to metal contact that is grounded. TOM tends not to dig into the coating such that you end up with some static in the signal path (at least that is what I have experienced anyway).

The acoustic saddles are just begging for the clean channel on any of my amps. Using a pick is okay but finger style picking is way better. I can sort of do it and I am getting better with practice. This guitar just rips for the other styles using the passive pickups. I had to review the Graphtech controls for the Ghost system and I was right that the preamp also is used for the magnetics too. That would explain many things. I will have to open up the cavity again and look at it in more detail so confirm if the magnetics are running to the preamp. What is odd if you remove the battery you get sound and it does not matter if where the volume settings are (all off and still is as loud but tone sounds like it is from the piezo and not the magnetic pups).

toejam
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby toejam » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:51 pm

Nice score there! :drool:

bandit2013
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby bandit2013 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:46 am

The only issue I have with the guitar is the Floyd Rose wobble on the arm. The Graphtech unit seems a bit loose but after close inspection on the arm post that inserts into the stud hole is not perfectly round. It is galled in a few areas, deep scratches and a few burrs. I did a quick polish on the part that inserts into the tremolo and that helped a bit. I did buy a replacement arm assembly but after removal of the mounting hardware I found it not the same as the Floyd units. It has two flats cut into the hole to secure it from rotating vs the barbed fitting that is common with FR and Schaller. At least it was not a waste as I used the Schaller arm assembly on the MIK Floyd on my Bolt C. I will have to check out my other Floyd equipped guitars and check those too and if they are loose I will get two more of the Schaller arm assemblies. (they do not wobble). I could always opt for the original but that would take a bit more effort to install and a tool to remove the arm.

I will have to check the Gotoh Floyd rose parts as it has a similar knife edge as the Ghost bridge. I do not hear the wobble when using the magnetic pickups but with the piezo turned on it is obvious. Perhaps one reason why it was up for sale in the first place. That is okay as I am up for the challenge to fix the issue....

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Photo Gallery