New ZB6 - "Pinky", a very special build.

Post Pictures of Your Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Gear - No Cowbelling!

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Catman10
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

New ZB6 - "Pinky", a very special build.

Postby Catman10 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:40 pm

Hello all. It has been awhile since I've been on here. I just wanted to share with you my new Zeus ZB6. The reason for this build is to commemorate my wife, who passed away last February from MMMT cancer. My ZB6 is something that I wanted to hold close that would remind me of her, and something that will help me in healing. Much of the specs for this build are things to help me remember her by. I wanted a bass that really "sings", because she loved to sing, so I went with a chambered mahogany body, walnut/purple heart neck, and RTF. I went with the radiused single coil pickups in the '60's position, because she loved the '60's. I went with royal ebony for the fretboard because she was royalty to me. The gold logo because her love was golden to me. Her favorite colors were pink and purple, so I went with pink/purple burst paint. Purple heart cavity cover to get as much purple on it as possible. Swamp ash top with AAT were for me, because I really like that on a bass (I know I'll have to apologize for that when I see her in Heaven because she would've preferred I went with flamed or quilted maple). Luminlay fret markers for the best in form/function. Here are the pics that appeared on Kiesel's FaceBook page:

38287598_2154296988186925_2407102622768037888_n.jpg

38938786_2163259440624013_5359097803530305536_n.jpg

38914204_2163591463924144_2765271640777424896_n.jpg

Heres a pic of it when it arrived:

IMG_0196.jpg

I have more pics of it, but this board is not allowing me to upload them. Sorry.

My experiences so far: The Zeus body is extremely comfortable and perfectly balanced. It's so well balanced that I don't need a strap when I sit down with it. The bass has such a beautiful resonant tone which is probably attributed to the chambered mahogany body, walnut/purple heart neck, and RTF finish. I really like the '60's position bridge pickup because its a bit fuller than the typical '70's position. I can see that I'm probably going to solo the bridge pickup more because of this.This bass has such an amazing tone overall that I can't wait to play it out on a long gig! Did I mention it was light?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Catman10 on Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

ElfDude

Re: New ZB6 - "Pinky", a very special build.

Postby ElfDude » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:44 pm

Congrats! That looks awesome!

:applause: :applause:
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

Catman10
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Catman10 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:11 pm

ElfDude wrote:Congrats! That looks awesome!

Thank you, sir! It just arrived last Wed. and I've only played it out once and already someone has said it "sounds as good as it looks." Probably the only bass I've gotten from Kiesel/Carvin that I just can't wait to play on a long and loud gig!

Bovine
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Bovine » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:21 am

Catman10 wrote:

Thank you, sir! It just arrived last Wed. and I've only played it out once and already someone has said it "sounds as good as it looks." Probably the only bass I've gotten from Kiesel/Carvin that I just can't wait to play on a long and loud gig!

I caught your pic of this one on the other thread first but am now catching up. I like it even more now after getting the full story. Praying for you in your untimely loss, buddy--- so sorry to hear this awful news.
On Facebook.com/FoolsErrandRockBand Lyrics & Samples at: FoolsErrandRockBand.com

"Meaty enough for the mind, soothing enough for the soul"

Greg Emm
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Greg Emm » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:36 am

Thank you for this account of how you created something beautiful from such unimaginable loss, Quentin. All of your builds are a pleasure to see and read about because you put so much consideration into them. It's great to know that this bass's construction, appearance, weight and sound harmonize into a wonderful and lasting tribute to your wife. Looking forward to your report on what it's like to play a lengthy gig with this bass!

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:22 pm

Holy cow, what a beautifully conceived instrument (it's about as beautiful--while at the same time of course mind-bendingly sad--a build process as I can think of.. there was another that was connected to a guy's dad who had passed away but it wasn't as granular with so many totems of the loved one built into it). It's a physically gorgeous instrument, but the spirit that runs thru it goes far far far beyond that.

I wish you all the best moving forward. Amazing bass!
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:12 pm

Nice bass. *hugs*

Catman10
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Catman10 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:40 pm

Bovine wrote:
Catman10 wrote:

I caught your pic of this one on the other thread first but am now catching up. I like it even more now after getting the full story. Praying for you in your untimely loss, buddy--- so sorry to hear this awful news.

Thank you very much, "Bovine"!

Catman10
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Catman10 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:26 pm

Greg Emm wrote:Thank you for this account of how you created something beautiful from such unimaginable loss, Quentin. All of your builds are a pleasure to see and read about because you put so much consideration into them. It's great to know that this bass's construction, appearance, weight and sound harmonize into a wonderful and lasting tribute to your wife. Looking forward to your report on what it's like to play a lengthy gig with this bass!

Thanks so much, Greg! I played on a long gig with it Sat. night, and it did not disappoint. Even though I was tired from playing earlier that day, my back wasn't the part of the body that was bothering me the most. I am absolutely amazed how much difference in tone a chambered body adds, even on a solid body. I thought the "roundness" added from the chambered body would get cumbersome on funky and fast tunes where bass lines are possibly more syncopated, but that was not the case. It sosounded great in slow ballads to spirited zydeco. It's sustain is truly amazing. It's very comfortable to play standing up or sitting down. The Zeus design is the most ergonomic design offered by Kiesel.

Catman10
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Catman10 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:28 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:Holy cow, what a beautifully conceived instrument (it's about as beautiful--while at the same time of course mind-bendingly sad--a build process as I can think of.. there was another that was connected to a guy's dad who had passed away but it wasn't as granular with so many totems of the loved one built into it). It's a physically gorgeous instrument, but the spirit that runs thru it goes far far far beyond that.

I wish you all the best moving forward. Amazing bass!

Thanks so much, Doc!

Catman10
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Catman10 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:30 pm

Toptube wrote:Nice bass. *hugs*

Thank you!

skully13a
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby skully13a » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:34 am

Dig it, man. 8) It is quite special.
SH645
V440T
SM212 Stage Master
MB10

arahobob
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby arahobob » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:46 pm

Beautiful tribute axe - well done, Cat.
Current Carvins:
2010 Bolt (Candy Red Metallic)
2013 Bolt Plus (Koa)
2016 Black n Blue VSEVEN
2017 TT SCB6

Wish List
Some sort of multiscale 6 HSS with RAD ASH
JB Numbers Guitar (July sale has given me the itch!)

Catman10
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Catman10 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:15 am

Thanks so much guys! And the fact that it's an absolute joy to play fits it so well, too! I could not have expected this bass to come out any better!

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:56 pm

So Im a bit curious. Do you feel like this bass has a particularly positive feel to the strings and the action?

I had a 4 string vader bass for a minute and I couldn't believe how good the action felt on the strings. With great note definition. I have to imagine a B-string would be really great on a headless.

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Photo Gallery