NGD - Zeus

Post Pictures of Your Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Gear - No Cowbelling!

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Ricardo A

NGD - Zeus

Postby Ricardo A » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:16 pm

Here's my new Zeus. Picked up 2 weeks ago from the showroom in Escondido.

One piece swamp ash body, blacked-out ash, rtf finish, roasted maple neck, bloodwood fretboard.

Group shot ....

jacob5150

Re: NGD - Zeus

Postby jacob5150 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:50 am

Man that Raw tone is awesome! I like the combo of the roasted Maple and the bloodwood fretboard. What was the total build time on this?

olejason

Postby olejason » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:05 am

Is there a difference between "blacked out ash" and normal "jet black" paint with raw tone?

Ricardo A

Postby Ricardo A » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:53 am

jacob5150 wrote:Man that Raw tone is awesome! I like the combo of the roasted Maple and the bloodwood fretboard. What was the total build time on this?

Thanks Jacob. It was just about 2 months from when I put the order in to when I got the call to come pick it up.

I am really liking the bloodwood fretboard! It is supposed to be similar in hardness to ebony. I love how the color came out - I had read that bloodwood can vary a lot, from dark almost brownish to really beautiful red hues.. I was hoping it would be more on the reddish side, and that’s what I got...

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:11 am

If I remember right, I think bloodwood holds it's color better than purpleheart, too.

Congrats!

Out of curiosity: what fretboard radius did you get?

Ricardo A

Postby Ricardo A » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:28 pm

olejason wrote:Is there a difference between "blacked out ash" and normal "jet black" paint with raw tone?

Hey olejason, I'm not sure what the difference is. The website builder says rtf is available in solid and translucent colors. There is a pic of a 7-string Zeus on the Kiesel website in graphite/rtf finish, and I originally thought to go with that color, although I prefer black (see group pic!). So Flock recommended what he called "blacked-out" ash. I couldn't find that color on the website, but I said that as long as the grain of the ash would still show through,I'd go with the black.

Flock was great, by the way, he really was a big help in getting this build just how I wanted it.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:32 pm

Jet black is an opaque paint. "Blacked out ash" or "black out ash" appears to be a translucent stain. Both can be combined with the "raw tone" satin finish to let the texture of the wood grain be felt/seen.

Graphite is also different. It appears, to me anyway, that graphite is a either a dark gray dye or dark gray transparent paint...which is different from Transparent Black, which is a transparent black paint.

Ricardo A

Postby Ricardo A » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:08 pm

spudmunkey wrote:If I remember right, I think bloodwood holds it's color better than purpleheart, too.

Congrats!

Out of curiosity: what fretboard radius did you get?

Thanks spudmonkey, yeah I also read that the color on bloodwood could fade somewhat over time, we'll see I guess! But I won't mind, I am so pleased with this guitar. The fit and finish are perfect. I am strictly an amateur, but there's not a flaw anywhere that I can see. Plays like a dream, action low, no buzz, intonation spot-on. Love the Zeus body - I like the look, and it's super comfortable to play sitting down or standing up.

Love the sound! First thing I did was just play it unplugged for about 30 minutes, listening to the sound as the notes rang out ..... they had a nice rich bell like tone, that didn't fade out right away but just held on and resonated. Maybe that's partly due to the one-piece swamp ash body? Or maybe just my subjective bias lol...

...anyway got some studio time a few days later and really cranked it. I went with the Beryllium pickups, and they are fine for the classic rock that I mostly play.

Went with the standard 20" radius.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:43 am

Blacked out Ash is a black stain.

Graphite is not black. I don't actually know, but I think its probably the color they used for Antique Ash, but they don't sand it down for the AAT look.

RTF solid black, is a solid color paint.

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:43 am

Congrats! Really cool! :applause:
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, Bolt T, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

Ricardo A

Postby Ricardo A » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:37 am

ElfDude wrote:Congrats! Really cool! :applause:

Thanks ElfDude! I do think Zeuses are extremely cool looking guitars! But then again, I also like Mockingbirds, so what do I know?

kdawg
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby kdawg » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:17 pm

Very sharp guitar! It looks like pure, unadulterated fun! One of these days I'm gonna snatch me a headless and the Zeus is first on that list. Congrats and enjoy.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:24 pm

Wow, I didn't know they were doing bloodwood fretboards.

Yeah, it's hard stuff, about 2900 on the Janka hardness scale, compared to Macassar Ebony's 3220. Purpleheart is up there, around 2500, and Cocobolo is a little shy of 3000. The harder the wood, the more force (in pounds) it takes to bury a .444" steel ball halfway (.222") into the wood. Rosewood is around (I believe Kiesel uses Indian) is a bit over 2400. Hard Maple, on the other hand, is around below 1500.

Does it matter? For wear it does, and possibly how well it'll hold frets. Yes, bloodwood can fade over time, but of the colored woods, it's not bad at all (nothing like Purpleheart). It looks really fun with the color contrast, and I bet it plays very well, too.

Congrats!
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

Ricardo A

Postby Ricardo A » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:38 am

kdawg wrote:Very sharp guitar! It looks like pure, unadulterated fun! One of these days I'm gonna snatch me a headless and the Zeus is first on that list. Congrats and enjoy.

Thanks kdawg. When I decided to get back into the headless (I had a Steinberger as my main electric for a few years, about 10 years ago) I was originally going to get a jet black Vader, to sort of match my other Kiesels. But then the Zeus came out, and it just struck me as such a cool design, the contours, ergonomics, .... I had to go Zeus! It is a fun and very comfortable guitar to play. Feels like it "fits" me.

Ricardo A

Postby Ricardo A » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:35 pm

UnexplodedCow wrote:Wow, I didn't know they were doing bloodwood fretboards.

Yeah, it's hard stuff, about 2900 on the Janka hardness scale, compared to Macassar Ebony's 3220. Purpleheart is up there, around 2500, and Cocobolo is a little shy of 3000. The harder the wood, the more force (in pounds) it takes to bury a .444" steel ball halfway (.222") into the wood. Rosewood is around (I believe Kiesel uses Indian) is a bit over 2400. Hard Maple, on the other hand, is around below 1500.

Does it matter? For wear it does, and possibly how well it'll hold frets. Yes, bloodwood can fade over time, but of the colored woods, it's not bad at all (nothing like Purpleheart). It looks really fun with the color contrast, and I bet it plays very well, too.

Congrats!

Thanks UC! Yeah, the bloodwood feels/plays great. Actually the playability of the guitar as a whole is phenomenal, for me. I mean, we're all different as players and have different tastes in set ups etc...(I have a friend that is a monster player, he plays with telephone pole strings and action a mile high. He never has to worry about anyone picking up his guitar and playing it - no one wants to!!) But for me, the more effortless, without sacrificing tone, the better.

With this Zeus I get that. The fretboard, the stainless steel frets, the neck carve, tung-oiled roasted maple neck, and the light one piece ash body, it all comes together into a great playing, and sounding, guitar. I couldn't ask for more out of a custom build.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:00 am

I think everyone has a friend like that :laughhard:
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

GuitFiddle
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby GuitFiddle » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:56 am

Hey, I'm that guy with the telephone pole string and high action! Just kidding...I think.

Ricardo A, great looking guitar - don't worry about the bloodwood. It darkens a bit over time, but retains its beautiful red color. If anything it gets better with time! Not like purpleheart, where it just goes brown and doesn't have any interesting grain to look at. It's good stuff, much more dimensionally stable than ebony but with similar strength and hardness. I just ordered an Osiris bass with it.

Strange question, but if you were willing to take a photo or two of the inside of the control cavity I would be eternally grateful. I have plans for my likely-to-happen Osiris guitar but need to make sure stuff fits. The Zeus and Osiris have the same cavity and the control placement is the same. I could probably find one of the Vader cavity, but the control placement is different so it wouldn't do me any good.
American guitars
British Amps (mostly)
What more do you need?

Ricardo A

Postby Ricardo A » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:39 pm

Hey GuitFiddle, thanks! I don't log in here that often, just saw your post. I will try and get you that pic tomorrow.

Ricardo A

Postby Ricardo A » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:53 pm

Here you go GuitFiddle, hope its not too late ....

GuitFiddle
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby GuitFiddle » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:24 am

Good sir, that is exactly what I needed. It's pure gold for me. Many thanks!
American guitars

British Amps (mostly)

What more do you need?

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Photo Gallery