NGD: Bolt-66-V Honeyburst and BBE - for lunch, mmm ..mm

Post Pictures of Your Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Gear - No Cowbelling!

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: re: NGD: Bolt-66-V Honeyburst and BBE - for lunch, mmm

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:29 pm

CTMblues wrote:I'm debating whether to replace the H22 in my C66 with the C22B left over from my CT6. Got that? :P

A-OK, 10-4. :)

wickid
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby wickid » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:14 am

spudmunkey wrote:
CTMblues wrote:I'm debating whether to replace the H22 in my C66 with the C22B left over from my CT6. Got that? :P

A-OK, 10-4. :)

Breaker 1-9, we got ourselves a con-voy. :wink:
Proud Carvin owner since 1985! My Carvin gear time capsule...

Dont miss the purple CT6!
(Any photobucket links are probably now broken. Grrrrrr!!!)

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:04 pm

wickid wrote:Breaker 1-niner, we got ourselves a con-voy. :wink:

FTFY. :lol:

Roy Munson
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Roy Munson » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:39 pm

CTMblues wrote:Real late to offering up my congrats here but it looks pretty sweet ... and classic. I searched the thread and "S60" came up only once and was not even listed in the specs. Did you go with the S60AR in the middle? What are you thinking of it sound wise by itself? I'm debating whether to replace the H22 in my C66 with the C22B left over from my CT6. Got that? :P

Hey there, thanks. Glad you dig, I really really love this guitar and the pickups are one of many reasons.

So yes, I spec'd standard S60AR in the build and then C22B and TBH at bridge and neck. Love 'em all. I also love the C22B/AP11/AP11 format in my TL60 and just opted for different flavors here. The C22B is a great all-arounder in the bridge and just does what i want a bridge PU to which is anything really and it splits pretty darn well really for a spankier cutting bridge sound if you want it. I recently replaced my M22T in my TL60 with the C22B just a week ago, and prefer the better low-end, however no slight to the very good M22T.

And on neck/middle for this Bolt I just thought i'd experiment and love the TBH in the neck a bit meatier than AP11 and S60 middle is a cleaner lower output classic alnico sound. There is no drop-off really in volume with pickups between selections, the C22B is set maybe 1/8" lower and going to bridge position gives a little boost but really they're all playing well together.

All pickups in this Bolt sound great and in the 2&4 position all the classic quack you need is on tap, brighter at 2(bridge/mid), quackier n fatter and 4 (neck/mid). Cleans are really sweet and the TBH handles dirt very well for bluesy gritty or metal style leads sounds. Although the S60 can it's better used for cleaner sounds which are a little scooped and woody like lower output vintagy styled PU's are supposed to sound.

So this 3 PU C22B/S60AR/TBH combo is 3-way tied for my favorite. I really love all my Carvin PU's. The SC90C has C22B/AP11/C22N and TL60 is as mentioned. AP11 wins the neck PU contest, but not by too much, the TBH has a nice mid-range without too much bite not to trebly.

And one more point, Carvin's true single-coils are remarkably quiet! Really really quiet to the point it makes me not lust for a 'noiseless' version of anything. Not a concern, of course I'm not playing dive bars with life threatening wiring issues. :wink:

A C22B in bridge of your C66 will be sweet, that's why they're the stock PU in Carvins and are a great pickup standard for that model as they are for many. The H's are more mission specific and lean toward that lower output PAF'y thing. But just go for it and if you're not diggin in, try something else after that. 8)

That's one of the hugely enjoyable things about electric guitars, tinkering. They go hand in hand in my book.

Hope this helped :)

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: NGD: Bolt-66-V Honeyburst and BBE - for lunch, mmm ..mm

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:22 pm

Still think this is the only BBE bolt I've seen, and my own vision of one is still my dream then-carvin-now-Kiesel. Just saw it pop up in my local Craigslist. Whoever had it now changed the pickguards and made it non-carvin SSS.

OotMagroot
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby OotMagroot » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:24 pm

I always enjoyed Roy's posts. I was taking a picture of my Bolt for him back in the day and dropped something (forget what it was) on it that took part of the finish off the top. I always gave him crap about that. It also showed how thin of a finish they used on the Bolts at that time (which was awesome).

Coda
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Coda » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:43 pm

It's nice to see this post resurface! I was quite struck by the BBE on this bolt back in 2013. Yeah, I don't remember seeing another since. I guess the impression it made stuck in my brain - I made BBE a part of my 2016 Bolt Kit build.

The lighter maple on Roy's definitely pops more than the BBE on my black limba body, but I'm still thrilled with the results.

I don't remember when Kiesel started staining the BBE with the black DTS stain, but I'm more of a fan of the BBE being all natural. I hope to see more all-natural BBE builds in the future. Maybe this thread revival will stimulate a comeback!
CT624 - SH445 - Bolt+ - SCB7 - Vader7 - DC125 - Bolt Kit

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:53 pm

Coda wrote:I don't remember when Kiesel started staining the BBE with the black DTS stain, but I'm more of a fan of the BBE being all natural. I hope to see more all-natural BBE builds in the future. Maybe this thread revival will stimulate a comeback!

I think around the time the SCB was launched, but i agree. Much prefer the natural BBE and BBEB.

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Photo Gallery