NBD: Icon IC5 w/Antique Ash

Post Pictures of Your Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Gear - No Cowbelling!

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: re: NBD: Icon IC5 w/Antique Ash

Postby Toptube » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:46 pm

Spamspam wrote:That, sir, is spectacular. Very close to the DC7X I was envisioning in my future.

did you see this DC800?
http://www.carvinguitars.com/guitars-in-stock/124513

If I played guitar, I'd have bought that. It was "in-stock" for a couple of weeks. But I think it sold just yesterday.

Spamspam
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

re: NBD: Icon IC5 w/Antique Ash

Postby Spamspam » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:58 pm

I did see it, also awesome, but I didn't like the headstock, or the 8th string. I'll probably eventually get an 8, but just as a curiosity thing.

dach
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby dach » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:39 pm

I can see a mountain range in the grain of the upper/left side. Looks really fantastic, probably would be better if LZ''s 'Misty Mountain Hop' was playing in the background. :)

One of these days I'll buy a spalted maple or other rock like grained guitar, but you should enjoy the fact that you have one right now. Congrats!

MikeBass
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby MikeBass » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:49 pm

Let us know how the new pickups sound, I'm definitely curious.
Kiesel basses, lots of pedals, nothing wrong

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:51 pm

Rad-HV package came today--------with one pickup. The receipt says "1 set of Rad-HV pickups".

fffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:51 pm

the forgotten neck pickup should ship today.

I doctored the pics in the original post to appear more similar to the actual bass. In addition to linking the newer gallery, with pictures that were a bit better to start with.

got my two favorites fresh from bassstringsonline. Just waiting for that neck pickup, so that I can install the strings for testing!

Appollyon
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Appollyon » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:47 pm

Beautiful bass! AAT can be SO radically different:

DC727, AC375, SH65, DC800, Bolt, CT74, CT7, CS, SH575, HH2X, HF2, Kiesel edition SCB7C, SCB7H, DC7X, DC7x group buy, Vader7

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:20 pm

Appollyon wrote:Beautiful bass! AAT can be SO radically different:

I saw that pic today! That thing looks really cool. I'd love to see some more natural shots of it. Lots of creamy tans in that one.

I love the way that my bass turned out. It's super cool and also pretty unique. I like having basses that are sort of uncommon.

-----------------
However, I'm not a fan of the treated boards with the AAT. It's just too much.

Maybe a double black board would be cool with AAT. I've had ideas for that, even before I knew for sure they could do it. Here's a pic Jeff posted awhile back:
Last edited by Toptube on Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Appollyon
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Appollyon » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:47 pm

This Kiesel board is pretty subtle.
DC727, AC375, SH65, DC800, Bolt, CT74, CT7, CS, SH575, HH2X, HF2, Kiesel edition SCB7C, SCB7H, DC7X, DC7x group buy, Vader7

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:54 pm

Appollyon wrote:This Kiesel board is pretty subtle.

Well I'm glad that you like it. I think that body is really cool, anyhow :P

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:00 pm

I just gave the truss rod a quarter turn of relief.

The bass already sounded good acoustically. Nice crisp, clean highs. deep lows. Even mids. However, it vibrated most in the neck heal area, the front horns, and up into the neck. With my hand on the bridge, behind the bridge, or holding the side of the body near the jack; I could hardly perceive any vibration.

But, I was having some buzzing issues which persisted even after raising the saddles a couple of days ago, to my preferred heights.

After that quarter turn, the entire bass vibrates. The bridge now gives plenty of vibration to my hand and the body absolutely slams , back behind the bridge. Some of the crispness was traded in for woody mids and more complex lows and low mid. More excited than ever to get those Helix strings on here. They make special sounds with wood like this.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:42 pm

Looks like the neck pickup won't be here until Monday.

on a high note: With just the bridge pickup wired up and the lid removed from the electronics cavity: this thing is still dead silent.

Also, soldering to the circuit board was supremely easy. Way easier than soldering to pots. Because each of the three wires has it's own spot, a small horizontally oriented hole, just large enough for the wire. The hole helps to hold the wire in place, while you solder. Much easier than soldering to pots. Especially when you have to solder the ground wire straight to the flat top of the pot.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:07 pm

Toptube wrote:Looks like the neck pickup won't be here until Monday.

The neck pickup arrived early!--------but I didn't notice until 9pm today (Sunday). So, only some preliminary impressions. until I can crank it up tomorrow. Still with the stock strings:

The blanket is off. All of the high mid content that was missing from the old Rad-H, is now present in the Rad-HV. They have a nice deep voicing. But it is notched just right, so that it is clear and articulate, no matter what note you hit. The neck pickup sounds good. Definitely in my ballpark for usable tone. Together, these things sound pretty sweet. They do a real nice hi-fi, fizzy jazz bass thing, with both pickups together. A touch dry and modern, but not super modern. very cool indeed. I'm sure a string change could easily change things up a bit, as well.

*additionally, these seem to pair pretty well with the icon pre-amp. Much better than the old Rad-H. Although I'm sure much of that is due to the fact that I'm no longer having to wildly crank EQ, to try and squeeze out some high mids.

Catman10
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Catman10 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:54 am

Beautiful bass!! I really like the look of this one. Congrats and enjoy! :applause:

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:58 pm

the locktite on these saddle height screws REALLY aggravates me. Locktite should be a fix for a problematic, buzzy saddle. Not a factory spec. I had to tear out half the screws and scrape the locktite off with a needle, so that they would turn AT ALL with the mini adjustment wrench.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok so the reports are in:

The Dean Markley Helix SS are a wrong match for these pickups. I think probably too much of a good thing. The Helix SS strings are deeper than most. and these pickups have a deep character to them. So the net result is too much deep mids and you lose the fizzy high end the Rad-HV otherwise should have. I normally LOVE these strings, so it feels weird for me to say this.

The Fodera stainless on the other hand, sound super sweet with these pickups. (Fodera stainless almost don't sound like stainless. They are really warm and usually "open" sounding). Warm, full. Nice even growl. I've known the Foderas to usually have an "open" high end. Strangely, it's not so open here. But it is a warm and sweet high end that has lost nearly all of the "modern" touch I noted before, with the stock strings. Still missing some of the fizz, but I really REALLY like this tone. Both pickups sound GREAT on their own and GREAT together, with these strings. I might try the Fodera NPS sometime, to see what that's about. Or not.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:37 am

exploring the sounds of this bass has been interesting. Although I love the feel of the Fodera stainless and like the tone: I just didn't feel like they were punching hard enough. So, I went back to my favorite, Dean Markley Helix SS. Before, I had noted that the deepness of these strings combined with the deepness of the Rad-HV pickups seemed like too much of a good thing. But this time, I dropped the gauge to an .100 E set. I also started from scratch with the EQ. Before, I just started with my usual EQ for other basses, which was a mistake. So now I have the punch I'm looking for and a certain response at my finger tips that I wasn't getting from the Foderas.

AND THEN, I decided to plug in my '89 400rb amp head. I haven't used that for a long time, because I generally like my other basses better with my Ashdown MiBass head. Well I have to say, I was floored at how right this combination sounded. It has a very dry tonality with a ton of low mid presence. It works very well with this ash body and stainless frets, which can sound a bit too 'wet' through the MiBass 220. Good times!

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:44 pm

So I just got this new chair for my computer area:

The armrest is positioned just right, in relation to how I usually sit, for the battery doors to catch on the underside lip of the armrest and tear off completely. This has happened like 6 times. I'll get lost in playing, forget about the chair. Then, I get up for a break or something and SNAP!

So I guess I'm gonna have to get some extra battery compartments.

This isn't Carvin's fault but jeez, WTF :cry:

PastorDave
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby PastorDave » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:36 pm

Toptube wrote:So I just got this new chair for my computer area:

The armrest is positioned just right, in relation to how I usually sit, for the battery doors to catch on the underside lip of the armrest and tear off completely. This has happened like 6 times. I'll get lost in playing, forget about the chair. Then, I get up for a break or something and SNAP!

So I guess I'm gonna have to get some extra battery compartments.

This isn't Carvin's fault but jeez, WTF :cry:

That's one of the reasons I never play my guitar in any chair with arms, I'm likely to hit the backside or bottom end of my guitar and scratch it or ding it. I usually stand but when I sit I use an adjustable height guitar chair, I can set the height to where my feet can rest on my volume pedal and pedal board. I just have to man sure I'm far enough away from the shelves so I don't hit the headstock. Did that one too many times but not hard enough to do any damage.
God bless, Pastor Dave
Taylor 2018 714CE V-Class w/gold Gotoh locking tuners!
Taylor 314CE w/gold Gotoh locking tuners!
2012 212 Brown Marvelon
2013 AG100D ""

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:30 pm

PastorDave wrote:That's one of the reasons I never play my guitar in any chair with arms, I'm likely to hit the backside or bottom end of my guitar and scratch it or ding it.

This chair has padded arms. So no dings, even for The Thundercat, which has a soft nitrocellulose finish. But those dang battery door clips are in just the right/wrong spot and just love catching on the lip of the pads. FFFFFFFFfffffff.

I stand about half the time. Whatever I'm practicing, I make sure to get in plenty of standing time. Because, playing while standing is different enough to warrant separate attention.

PastorDave
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby PastorDave » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:47 am

Toptube wrote:
PastorDave wrote:That's one of the reasons I never play my guitar in any chair with arms, I'm likely to hit the backside or bottom end of my guitar and scratch it or ding it.

This chair has padded arms. So no dings, even for The Thundercat, which has a soft nitrocellulose finish. But those dang battery door clips are in just the right/wrong spot and just love catching on the lip of the pads. FFFFFFFFfffffff.

I stand about half the time. Whatever I'm practicing, I make sure to get in plenty of standing time. Because, playing while standing is different enough to warrant separate attention.

Just a thought, maybe put a piece of masking tape over the battery cover so it doesn't get caught there?
God bless, Pastor Dave
Taylor 2018 714CE V-Class w/gold Gotoh locking tuners!
Taylor 314CE w/gold Gotoh locking tuners!
2012 212 Brown Marvelon
2013 AG100D ""

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Photo Gallery