NGD: HH1X Claro/Mahogany

Post Pictures of Your Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Gear - No Cowbelling!

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

BigViolin

re: NGD: HH1X Claro/Mahogany

Postby BigViolin » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:54 pm

Colossal, did you mean neck pickup only in your prior post? If so you're not alone, I've considered that opt 50 as well though I'm not sure my jazz chops would justify it. :laughhard:

colossal
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: re: NGD: HH1X Claro/Mahogany

Postby colossal » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:13 pm

BigViolin wrote:Colossal, did you mean neck pickup only in your prior post? If so you're not alone, I've considered that opt 50 as well though I'm not sure my jazz chops would justify it.

I am really happy with the sound I get from the one bridge pickup (it's not a typical bridge 80s shred tone, more jazz/fusion for sure, but still can do high gain tones), but yeah, was thinking of a neck pickup only build.

Mr. Toad

Postby Mr. Toad » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:30 pm

That is such a beautiful instrument, congrats! I would love to get a HH one day. Headless guitars have never looked better than the HH imo.

colossal
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby colossal » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:36 pm

Mr. Toad wrote:That is such a beautiful instrument, congrats! I would love to get a HH one day. Headless guitars have never looked better than the HH imo.

Thanks! I love it.

I highly recommend an HH. They really changed my perspective and love for guitar. The ergonomics are great, string changes with double ball strings are a breeze (literally five minutes), the hollow body tone and sustain is killer, and you can build anything to suit your taste in aesthetics.

They are habit forming though :stir: :drool:

ChrisN
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ChrisN » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:03 am

colossal wrote:Chris, I love this guitar. The difference in tone is quite surprising and it is not a small difference either. So far, for chords, I absolutely love it. I need to do some lead single note stuff to form an opinion on the lead tone. Also, I still have the stock electronics (but planning to change it). I think the production changes were probably intended to address increased sustain, but I can only speculate. Unfortunately, I really cannot tell if the difference is due to the production change or the wood. My suspicion is the wood. The tone of the guitar is very different. The koa and alder/maple, while still sounding extremely resonant, have a brighter, clear, nasally top end. The mahogany/claro has clear top end without any of the biting, nasal quality. The koa sounds more like a solid body in that way. It is very well balanced though. The mahogany body has more low mids with the top rolled off. The highs come across more strat-like in that they are plucky and bell-like...that's the best way I can describe it. It doesn't sound anything like a Les Paul.

Dave, your description's got what it takes for me. I can dig it. I'm going to put placing my order on hold until you reveal the circuit mod outcome. Anyway, having a 2nd HH1X(v.2) in the oven is sure giving me some serious goosebumps now. I am just about to celebrate the 1st anniversary of getting my HH1X(v.1) and need to admit I have never ever had such a 'telepathic' guitar before. So how about going 'super-telepathic' with the v.2, huh?
2015 alder/birch HH1X w/KH12B pickup
2018 mahogany/spruce HH1 w/KH12B pickup

https://soundcloud.com/krzysztof-narbut

colossal
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby colossal » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:16 pm

ChrisN wrote:Dave, your description's got what it takes for me. I can dig it. I'm going to put placing my order on hold until you reveal the circuit mod outcome. Anyway, having a 2nd HH1X(v.2) in the oven is sure giving me some serious goosebumps now. I am just about to celebrate the 1st anniversary of getting my HH1X(v.1) and need to admit I have never ever had such a 'telepathic' guitar before. So how about going 'super-telepathic' with the v.2, huh?

Chris,

I have been playing the guitar stock just to give the standard electronics a fair test. As I suspected (I tried not to self-bias), I don't like the stock 500k volume pot. There is a very limited range there and the mod opens this up much more. I need to measure the pot values in their current positions to see what resistance they are at. This guitar has a pretty noticeable difference in high end and the clean tone I am getting right now is amazing. Really crystalline sounding and no harshness at all. Not that either of my other HHs are harsh in any way, but this one is just different.

I like your analogy of the guitars being telepathic.

orangeguitarmusik
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby orangeguitarmusik » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:13 pm

Beautiful Guitar!!! It's making my wait harder. I ordered my HH2 in March and a few days later they announced the new update to the model. Not sure if it will have the new specs but either way I'm sure it will play great. I'm seven weeks in and hoping it will be done in the next few weeks.

Geddy
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Geddy » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:55 am

Ahhhh yeeeeaaahhh! This babe of an axe has all the tribal prints and is definitely ready for battle. This is such a unique walnut grain, one that could cause a person to sell his soul for. Dangerous, just as the tribal tattoo suggests.

She looks perfect among her peers and that is an outstanding collection. I know you are very keen and specific with your tones and I'm guessing each one is very unique in this manner. I'd love to hear your words on the differences of each.

Congrats Bro and happy NGD!

Cheers,
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
CS624M Ginger
Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic, Marshall 1960A,
Bogner 212C Closed Back 2x12 Cab with V30's.
Custom Pedalboard

colossal
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby colossal » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:49 am

orangeguitarmusik wrote:Beautiful Guitar!!! It's making my wait harder. I ordered my HH2 in March and a few days later they announced the new update to the model. Not sure if it will have the new specs but either way I'm sure it will play great. I'm seven weeks in and hoping it will be done in the next few weeks.

Thanks for the kind words. Your new HH should be excellent. My guess is you will probably get the updated model and you will be able to tell with a body thickness measurement. I am going to check my older ones versus the new one with a caliper.

Geddy wrote:This is such a unique walnut grain, one that could cause a person to sell his soul for. I'd love to hear your words on the differences of each.

Hi Geddy,

Good to see you around. Yeah, it's a great guitar and I have been enjoying it of late, getting familiar with it, etc. It's surprising, but there is a tonal difference between the claro/mahogany and the others. Actually, they each have their own tone. The alder/maple has the softest tone of the three. Not necessarily a difference in acoustic loudness but it is very even and smooth. The koa is also very even but has a pronounced midrange clarity and more bite and nasal top end. The claro/mahogany sort of falls more closely to the alder/maple but it has a clear top end without the nasally bite that the koa does. All three guitars do the Holdsworth midrange honk and bloom, but the alder/maple and koa I think are a little more pronounced. I have been really enjoying the claro/mahogany for clean chords. I plan to modify the controls on it as I typically have done with each of them as I think it needs it for what I like, but it does have this quality that is almost Strat-like; a very chimey bell-like thing that is really great. The low end is smooth but not overt or boomy. I still need to set it up for my preference. The action came higher than I prefer.

Overall however, they all perform very similarly but there are some notable differences in EQ. Great guitars!

PastorDave
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby PastorDave » Sun May 01, 2016 4:51 pm

Sweet, Happy NGD, it has nice company to hang with too!
God bless, Pastor Dave
Taylor 2018 714CE V-Class w/gold Gotoh locking tuners!
Taylor 314CE w/gold Gotoh locking tuners!
2012 212 Brown Marvelon
2013 AG100D ""

colossal
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby colossal » Sun May 01, 2016 7:39 pm

PastorDave wrote:Sweet, Happy NGD, it has nice company to hang with too!

Thanks Pastor Dave! I've been playing it a lot lately. Nice sounding guitar. I hope you have been doing well.

PastorDave
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby PastorDave » Sun May 01, 2016 8:38 pm

colossal wrote:
PastorDave wrote:Sweet, Happy NGD, it has nice company to hang with too!

Thanks Pastor Dave! I've been playing it a lot lately. Nice sounding guitar. I hope you have been doing well.

Thanks, I go bake to the doc Wednesday to have my knee rechecked after surgery because it's not doing any better, probably need a partial replacement.
Other than that I'm doing great, quit my part time job because I can't really do it with my knee the way it is so I'll be back into refinishing & repairing guitars for extra money.
The best thing is I've been able to practice a lot more since and it's only been a week so it's all for the better!
God bless, Pastor Dave
Taylor 2018 714CE V-Class w/gold Gotoh locking tuners!
Taylor 314CE w/gold Gotoh locking tuners!
2012 212 Brown Marvelon
2013 AG100D ""

Rialas
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: NGD: HH1X Claro/Mahogany

Postby Rialas » Wed May 17, 2017 9:34 am

Lovely guitars!!
You've got me going back to wanting a bridge only pickup HH.
As well as the reasons you mentioned, it's liberating, and satisfying, keeping things simple, and focusing on the music.

colossal
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby colossal » Thu May 18, 2017 5:42 pm

Rialas wrote:Lovely guitars!!
You've got me going back to wanting a bridge only pickup HH.
As well as the reasons you mentioned, it's liberating, and satisfying, keeping things simple, and focusing on the music.

Thanks Rialas!

dbone
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby dbone » Thu May 18, 2017 6:25 pm

Super gorgeous and unique top. The three together look amazing, enjoy!
dbones Lefties
DC150 M22T/M22V, DC150 M22SD/M22N
DC400A, K12B/K12N, DC600 M22SD/M22V, DC800 A80B/A80N
AE185 C22T/C22N/Piezo, AE185-12 H22T/H22N/Piezo
CT7M KL14B/KL14N, Bolt C22T/AP11/AP11, AC375, CL450, AC275K, SB5000 J99A pups

Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Omsong » Thu May 18, 2017 6:43 pm

colossal wrote: I read the reason was that he never really used the neck pickup, but more importantly, having just the one pickup lessened the overall magnetic string pull which dampens string vibration. Holdsworth also uses 8 gauge strings (on his headless guitars) so minimizing string pull would be very important in maximizing sustain.

Curious, wouldn't lowering a neck pickup reduce it's magnetic pull, although it certainly would not eliminate it? The same could be done for a bridge pup if one prefers to use the neck pup only...

An interesting experiment would be to measure the mag field strengths around a few different pickups to compare. I used to work where I had access to Gauss meters but never thought to try that. Darn!

...and doesn't the "e-bow" use magnetic fields to excite the strings?
Ichi on Jobutsu (Enlightenment in one tone.)

Kiesel
- '17 Fatboy, Deep Lava Flame
Past tense
- '02 Fatboy; '04 CT6M; '07 Fatboy; '11 Bolt+

colossal
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby colossal » Thu May 18, 2017 8:03 pm

Omsong wrote:
colossal wrote: I read the reason was that he never really used the neck pickup, but more importantly, having just the one pickup lessened the overall magnetic string pull which dampens string vibration. Holdsworth also uses 8 gauge strings (on his headless guitars) so minimizing string pull would be very important in maximizing sustain.

Curious, wouldn't lowering a neck pickup reduce it's magnetic pull, although it certainly would not eliminate it? The same could be done for a bridge pup if one prefers to use the neck pup only...

An interesting experiment would be to measure the mag field strengths around a few different pickups to compare. I used to work where I had access to Gauss meters but never thought to try that. Darn!

...and doesn't the "e-bow" use magnetic fields to excite the strings?

Holdsworth played Steinbergers with two humbuckers and from close ups I have seen of them, it looks like the neck pickup was lowered and the pole pieces sunk into the bobbin.

I actually have a gauss meter at work. I will need to get another KH12B to do some tests.

Bovine
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Bovine » Sat May 20, 2017 8:24 am

Claro Walnut is one of my least favorite woods but man do I ever like THAT one!! The lighter patterns in the grain blend so well with the mahogany too. Outstanding top, congrats colossal!!
On Facebook.com/FoolsErrandRockBand Lyrics & Samples at: FoolsErrandRockBand.com

"Meaty enough for the mind, soothing enough for the soul"

kunundrum

Postby kunundrum » Sat May 20, 2017 2:18 pm

Wow!! Stunning!! That walnut top figuring reminds me of the old Japanese Navy rising sun flag!
2017 Vader V6X - Alder(b)/Maple(n)/Ebony(f), Satin Deep Blue Quilt with Lace Alumitones
2017 Vader VB5 - Alder(b)/Maple(n)/Ebony(f), Satin Black [ON ORDER]

hopkinwfg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby hopkinwfg » Fri May 26, 2017 8:23 am

Wow i remember your awesome two hh1x and now you have another piece to your collection ! So much being a HH1 player do you recommend HH2 to be chambered or just solid ?

I be taking my order soon... i dont know if they do a hh1x now but all i see on web is hh2...

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Photo Gallery