Unofficial Official GIS Thread: Part III

Post Pictures of Your Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Gear - No Cowbelling!

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Nlelith
Carvinite
Carvinite

Re: Unofficial Official GIS Thread: Part III

Postby Nlelith » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:00 pm

Now this is HOT.

That flamed limba...

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:26 pm

A bolt+! Get it while you can!

ilyti
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby ilyti » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:33 pm

Discontinued? Schmishcontinued.

Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Omsong » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:06 am

IMO - Bolt+ = Super Strat! A 22 fret neck puts the Neck coil in that 'oh so' warm place.
Ichi on Jobutsu (Enlightenment in one tone.)

Kiesel
- '17 Fatboy, Deep Lava Flame
Past tense
- '02 Fatboy; '04 CT6M; '07 Fatboy; '11 Bolt+

JCG
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby JCG » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:59 pm

131805b.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Omsong » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:06 am

JCG wrote:131805b.jpg

Near perfect!
Ichi on Jobutsu (Enlightenment in one tone.)

Kiesel
- '17 Fatboy, Deep Lava Flame
Past tense
- '02 Fatboy; '04 CT6M; '07 Fatboy; '11 Bolt+

Casual Madman
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Casual Madman » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:10 am

I see skies of blue...

JCG
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby JCG » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:53 am

k1.jpg
k2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JCG
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby JCG » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:55 am

139253b.jpg
139090.jpg
139081b.jpg
131076b.jpg

JCG
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby JCG » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:45 am

139270b.jpg

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:27 pm

That's the nicest crescent I've seen.. I guess it's the highlights running along the carve which offset the shape.

Unless that's not a crescent. But with those cut aways and that long top horn to the second octave, it pretty much has to be..... Right?

Doesn't hurt that there's a koa top.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:43 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:Doesn't hurt that there's a koa top.

:lol:

Yep, that's a crecent. I'm still not sold on one aspect of the model. I can get around the flat top because I realize the flexibility it offers, I have zero issues with the neck joint or construction method or silhouette. For me, it's the large flat areas where the horns approach the neck. Perhaps it helps visually reduce the length of the horns, but I just don't care for it. i don't believe they would be neccesary for stability, what with the neck extending so deep into the body...

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:51 pm

Now you've totally thrown me. You say the crescent has a flat top? It's a carved top guitar... Unless we're talking about two different things. Although the top is the top..

From the description on the Kiesel website:

LIMITED TIME! Take $100 off this model, and 50% off options! The Kiesel Crescent Series guitars are the newest carved-top models to come out of the Custom Shop in a number of years, and represent an exciting new direction for our carved-top lineup. In addition to standard 6 and 7 string models, multiscale and 8-string versions are available; our first of both of these styles in a carved-top configuration.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:53 pm

Ah, yes... My verbage was confusing. What I meant was, while the entire surface of the CT carve top is virtually entirely curvaceous, the Crescent is designed to still have carves around the perimeter, but a larger flat sort of plateau in the middle of the body, to allow them manufacturing flexibility to really put on any of their Bridges, including tremolos, the Hipshot fixed bridge, and multiscale, and I bet eventually and Evertune.

On that photo of the Crescent, virtually the entire area between those two reflections on the sides, of the lighting, is flat.

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:12 am

single piece redwood burl on this model, in GIS?

whassupwidat?

https://www.kieselguitars.com/guitars-in-stock/129601
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:31 am

Holy cow, that's beautiful. I was expecting a tiny HH or maybe a Vader. Didn't expect an AC375!

I dig the black-on-silver logo, but maybe not in this specific build. Not an outrageous price, either.

amon
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby amon » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:34 am

... and then they put dot inlay on it... :wall:

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:28 pm

amon wrote:... and then they put dot inlay on it... :wall:

LOL!

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:04 am

spudmunkey wrote:Yep, that's a crecent. I'm still not sold on one aspect of the model. I can get around the flat top because I realize the flexibility it offers...

Doctor Turn wrote:Now you've totally thrown me. You say the crescent has a flat top? It's a carved top guitar... Unless we're talking about two different things. Although the top is the top..

From the description on the Kiesel website:

LIMITED TIME! Take $100 off this model, and 50% off options! The Kiesel Crescent Series guitars are the newest carved-top models to come out of the Custom Shop in a number of years, and represent an exciting new direction for our carved-top lineup. In addition to standard 6 and 7 string models, multiscale and 8-string versions are available; our first of both of these styles in a carved-top configuration.

spudmunkey wrote:Ah, yes... My verbage was confusing. What I meant was, while the entire surface of the CT carve top is virtually entirely curvaceous, the Crescent is designed to still have carves around the perimeter, but a larger flat sort of plateau in the middle of the body, to allow them manufacturing flexibility to really put on any of their Bridges, including tremolos, the Hipshot fixed bridge, and multiscale, and I bet eventually and Evertune.

On that photo of the Crescent, virtually the entire area between those two reflections on the sides, of the lighting, is flat.

To clarify the point I made way back before Christmas, This (see images below) is what I was referring to when talking about the crescent's "flat top area". I've highlighted the flat areas in a contrasting color. On the CT (in the bottom set of images), there appears to be a similarly-sized and shaped flat area to the Crescent (top two images). However, as you travel from the end of the fretboard, starting at about the bridge pickup, the CT's top's flat surface begins to slope back/down slightly. This is why CT pickup rings need to be two different thicknesses, just like an LP. Not as extreme as an LP, but still. Not only that, but it also begins to arch from side to side. By the time you get to the bridge, the body has enough curvature in two different directions that it creates an uneven surface. This is the reason why Carvin/Kiesel could never offer the FT6 or Hipshot fixed bridges on this model, or the similarly-shaped CS. They would have to either build up the top to build a plateau to mount the bridge, or carve down an area flat similar to the Floyd's pull-back recess... This also makes it very difficult to offer different scale lengths, different fret counts, and multiscale without needing a newly-shaped (even if subtle) body. This must have been why it took so long to get 24-fret models of the CT and CS: the bridge and bridge pickup gets pulled "uphill", so I imagine there were some other aspects of the design needed some tweaking to keep bridge height, pickup height, etc all proper.

Conversely, the Crescent has a much larger and much broader flat area that extends much further back before the elevation changes of the carved-top kick in. I honestly truly believe that this was not just a stylistic decision. I have no doubts that they intentionally created a model that had a larger flat area to be as flexible of a "platform" as possible, to allow them to use many more styles of bridge, effortlessly change fret counts and scale lengths with very slight effort, including multiscale...and heck, perhaps even an Evertune 2.0 should such a beast exist. A bit of "future proofing", of sorts.

If you put both in a bathtub, side by side, using the fretboard as a level, and slowly drained the water:

- On the crescent, you'd have a large "continent" suddenly spring up above the surface of the water, with a sharp drop off into the water all the way around. As you continued to drain water, the water would pull back around the perimeter pretty much evenly until you got to the edge of the top, where you'd have the sudden drop-off.

- On the CT, you'd also have an island, but it would be a bit smaller, and with a more gently sloped "beach" behind the bridge. As you slowly drained more water, the upper section (closest to the fretboard) would be revealed above the surface of the water just like the Crescent, but behind the bridge pickup, the water would pull away and fall back much faster like the receeding tide on a beach. The exposed top area will have increased in size much more, and much less uniformly as the Crescent until it reached the drop-off around the perimeter.

Hopefully that clears it up and eases your mind; that I wasn't actually trying to say the "Crescent carved top" wasn't a carved top. :lol:

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:03 pm

Crescent design allows for them to use a significantly thinner piece for the figured top.

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Photo Gallery