NGD Vader VM8

Post Pictures of Your Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Gear - No Cowbelling!

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Koshchei
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: NGD Vader VM8

Postby Koshchei » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:28 pm

They'd have to craft it out of a softwood in that case. ;)

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:36 pm

Good choice on the cream pickups. I can't think of a single spec I'd change. Even the silver logo looks great with the non-EVO frets. :applause:

ilyti
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby ilyti » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:17 pm

That fingerboard might be the best looking one I have ever seen. And I don't just mean REF either. And on an 8 string there's plenty of it! Glad they got you such a stunning piece. And that is to say nothing of the rest of the guitar! Otherworldly is putting it mildly.

Koshchei
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Koshchei » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:05 pm

Thanks man! To say it exceeds my expectations is an understatement.

A funny gotcha: I was playing the sax solo in Frederik Thorendal's Sol Niger Within (Zeta Reticuli 2), and couldn't easily fret off the neck to emulate the squealed harmonics, so the vertically cut frets work! :)

ilyti
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby ilyti » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:51 pm

Koshchei wrote:Thanks man! To say it exceeds my expectations is an understatement.

A funny gotcha: I was playing the sax solo in Frederik Thorendal's Sol Niger Within (Zeta Reticuli 2), and couldn't easily fret off the neck to emulate the squealed harmonics, so the vertically cut frets work! :)

I love that album! Thanks for reminding me actually, cause I got completely off Meshuggah after Obzen.

Greg Emm
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Greg Emm » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:23 pm

Phenomenal guitar, Koshchei. When I noticed your avatar had changed, I went back to the Facebook galleries to get a better look. Everyone commenting in this thread has been moved to poetry by the beauty of your guitar. That top is astonishing, almost a portal to someplace else. And that fingerboard! From what you suggest, it sounds like this instrument has already moved your playing to new places. You deserve to be proud of such a beautiful guitar. Thank you for the great array of pictures. If this guitar truly is your last, then you have collaborated on the creation of the instrument of a lifetime. Excelsior!

watermelon

Postby watermelon » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:58 pm

Greg Emm wrote:Phenomenal guitar, Koshchei. When I noticed your avatar had changed, I went back to the Facebook galleries to get a better look. Everyone commenting in this thread has been moved to poetry by the beauty of your guitar. That top is astonishing, almost a portal to someplace else. And that fingerboard! From what you suggest, it sounds like this instrument has already moved your playing to new places. You deserve to be proud of such a beautiful guitar. Thank you for the great array of pictures. If this guitar truly is your last, then you have collaborated on the creation of the instrument of a lifetime. Excelsior!

ditto. very well worded.

Koshchei
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Koshchei » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:33 am

Greg Emm wrote:Phenomenal guitar, Koshchei. When I noticed your avatar had changed, I went back to the Facebook galleries to get a better look. Everyone commenting in this thread has been moved to poetry by the beauty of your guitar. That top is astonishing, almost a portal to someplace else. And that fingerboard! From what you suggest, it sounds like this instrument has already moved your playing to new places. You deserve to be proud of such a beautiful guitar. Thank you for the great array of pictures. If this guitar truly is your last, then you have collaborated on the creation of the instrument of a lifetime. Excelsior!

Thanks man! I'm really proud of it; as a last guitar, it pretty much hits the nail flat on every possible musical want I have! I'm not sure I'd call it a collaboration, as I did very little other than bleed money and articulate a few wants, but the folks at Kiesel have certainly built me a real masterpiece, and one that I'll be struggling to be musically worthy of until I die.

Tabare777
Carvinite
Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Tabare777 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:32 pm

Congrats brother, she's a beauty, unbelievable woods and figuring.
I'm a massive fan of how those woods came out with the pickup colour, very good taste!
:applause:
Tabare777 WEBSITE
Kiesel VM8 & Carvin DC800
DV Mark Little 40II & Mesa Dual Recto 2x12 Cab

Naked Ape
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Naked Ape » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:02 pm

Very nice! If you don't look directly at the fret board, it can get tremendous 3D depth. I see the sun setting(or rising) behind around the 12th to 13th fret, behind the main peak. Nature is the BEST artist EVER!! The body burl is Excellent as well. Somebody picked some nice pieces of wood. I can't imagine that was a random grab. Congratulations!
Screen Shot 2017-04-21 at 11.52.24 AM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Doc_Shred

Postby Doc_Shred » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:56 am

Koshchei mate, that looks amazing. I've just ordered my Vader with same top, fingerboard combo. Seeing yours has really
convinced me that this was by far the best choice! Can I ask though, is that buckeye top "Mastergrade" or is it just the "standard" $600 option? Did you request anything in particular? I'd happily pay a few $ more to get one anything like yours. I have to say that I haven't seen a single buckeye top that I haven't liked though to be fair.

I asked my salesman if there was any way of influencing the kind of wood I'd get and he was pretty evasive about it to be honest. For example I said that with the royal ebony I'd prefer a darker piece with no really pale streaks (some bits of RE I've seen almost look like zebrawood) and he kinda suggested that without paying some sort of "finders fee" then it was completely luck of the draw what I'd end up with. This seems to go against what I've read on here with quite a few people being able to broadly specify the type of figuring they did/didn't want. I'm almost tempted to drop the royal ebony in favour of the plain black stuff to stop me worrying about getting a piece I don't like!!

Anyway congratulation pal, and enjoy!

bchulse

Postby bchulse » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:33 am

That, my friend , is a killer piece.

Koshchei
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Koshchei » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:30 pm

Doc_Shred wrote:Koshchei mate, that looks amazing. I've just ordered my Vader with same top, fingerboard combo. Seeing yours has really
convinced me that this was by far the best choice! Can I ask though, is that buckeye top "Mastergrade" or is it just the "standard" $600 option? Did you request anything in particular? I'd happily pay a few $ more to get one anything like yours. I have to say that I haven't seen a single buckeye top that I haven't liked though to be fair.

I asked my salesman if there was any way of influencing the kind of wood I'd get and he was pretty evasive about it to be honest. For example I said that with the royal ebony I'd prefer a darker piece with no really pale streaks (some bits of RE I've seen almost look like zebrawood) and he kinda suggested that without paying some sort of "finders fee" then it was completely luck of the draw what I'd end up with. This seems to go against what I've read on here with quite a few people being able to broadly specify the type of figuring they did/didn't want. I'm almost tempted to drop the royal ebony in favour of the plain black stuff to stop me worrying about getting a piece I don't like!!

Anyway congratulation pal, and enjoy!

Thanks man - that's just a standard piece without any special requests at all. I didn't even know that there was such a thing as mastergrade when I put the order in. I found out a few weeks later and got super paranoid that I'd get a really awful top after watching Jeff's Facebook Live videos. I relaxed when he actually picked my top on video, and saw that it was basically everything I'd been hoping for; lots of grey with bark inclusion and crazy burls and colouration.

In the past, I have paid extra for the sales guys to pick something out for me that's been matched to a photo, but with the whole wood grading thing that they now do, unless you're willing to go all out, I'm not sure that you'd ever get something that would live up to expectation, particularly if you asked for a mastergrade top match to a regular top price.

Of course, buckeye burl is pretty random as a top wood... I don't think I've ever seen a bad one, but I've also never seen two that look alike either.

Doc_Shred

Postby Doc_Shred » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:03 am

Koshchei wrote:
Thanks man - that's just a standard piece without any special requests at all. I didn't even know that there was such a thing as mastergrade when I put the order in. I found out a few weeks later and got super paranoid that I'd get a really awful top after watching Jeff's Facebook Live videos. I relaxed when he actually picked my top on video, and saw that it was basically everything I'd been hoping for; lots of grey with bark inclusion and crazy burls and colouration.

In the past, I have paid extra for the sales guys to pick something out for me that's been matched to a photo, but with the whole wood grading thing that they now do, unless you're willing to go all out, I'm not sure that you'd ever get something that would live up to expectation, particularly if you asked for a mastergrade top match to a regular top price.

Of course, buckeye burl is pretty random as a top wood... I don't think I've ever seen a bad one, but I've also never seen two that look alike either.

Yeah that's what I thought too. I knew you could get master grade quilt/flame as I'd seen it in Jeff's videos. I just assumed that because it was such a big jump in price for buckeye, they'd all be the same quality. Unfortunately I've had it confirmed and you are bang on the money - No chance of a piece like yours for the "basic" price. My sales guy has pretty much said to me that to get a piece like yours or one of the others I sent him a picture of would only happen if I paid the upcharge for master grade. So yeah it looks like the days of getting a top like that via random selection are gone :(

So... pay $600 and potentially get something you're not 100% happy with, or sell an organ and stump up a thousand bucks for some peace of mind...

Koshchei
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Koshchei » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:55 am

I wouldn't say that there's no chance -- keep in mind that my piece is a basic piece too. You're probably just more likely to get something equally awesome, but totally different :)

Doc_Shred

Postby Doc_Shred » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:14 pm

Koshchei wrote:I wouldn't say that there's no chance -- keep in mind that my piece is a basic piece too. You're probably just more likely to get something equally awesome, but totally different :)

Knowing my luck I'd turn down the mastergrade option and get something that looks like a bit of cheap knotted pine!

Koshchei
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Koshchei » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:43 pm

LOL, it'd probably add more to the tone than buckeye.

arahobob
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby arahobob » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:40 pm

Doc_Shred wrote:
Koshchei wrote:

Yeah that's what I thought too. I knew you could get master grade quilt/flame as I'd seen it in Jeff's videos. I just assumed that because it was such a big jump in price for buckeye, they'd all be the same quality. Unfortunately I've had it confirmed and you are bang on the money - No chance of a piece like yours for the "basic" price. My sales guy has pretty much said to me that to get a piece like yours or one of the others I sent him a picture of would only happen if I paid the upcharge for master grade. So yeah it looks like the days of getting a top like that via random selection are gone :(

So... pay $600 and potentially get something you're not 100% happy with, or sell an organ and stump up a thousand bucks for some peace of mind...

In the past I was able to request small details ("swirled" walnut) but always for a price.
Over time I gave up and just left it all to chance. Tbh I was happier for the most part.
Current Carvins:
2010 Bolt (Candy Red Metallic)
2013 Bolt Plus (Koa)
2016 Black n Blue VSEVEN
2017 TT SCB6

Wish List
Some sort of multiscale 6 HSS with RAD ASH
JB Numbers Guitar (July sale has given me the itch!)

Koshchei
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Koshchei » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:10 pm

Finally got around to recording a soundclip (well, re-recording an old one anyway), AND looks like I made the online catalogue!

https://soundcloud.com/koshchei-1/lethe ... ting-there

http://www.kieselguitars.com/guitargallery/vm8

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Photo Gallery