What Carvin have I got?

Post Pictures of Your Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Gear - No Cowbelling!

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Benz2112

Re: What Carvin have I got?

Postby Benz2112 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:42 pm

You guys are making it too complicated. From the 90s on, the only difference between a 127/200/400 was inlays (400 had standard figured top). It is crazy to think that the catalog had dedicated pages to each model, despite the minor differences, considering the plethora of models that are offered now. That guitar is a Dc127 based on inlays alone.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:54 pm

Benz2112 wrote:You guys are making it too complicated. From the 90s on, the only difference between a 127/200/400 was inlays (400 had standard figured top). It is crazy to think that the catalog had dedicated pages to each model, despite the minor differences, considering the plethora of models that are offered now. That guitar is a Dc127 based on inlays alone.

I'm with ya...

spudmunkey, 8 days ago wrote:I think they carried the DC200 name through at least one redesign after that, but I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that's all moot because the DC200 had MOP block inlays (why get a 200 if you don't get the included inlays?), and I don't believe it was around when the CT headstock was launched.

But at the time, I don't know that you could get the actives or stereo output on the DC127. I don't know that you couldn't, but I don't know if you could. There was also a time when they charged for the no inlay option, so I could see someone spending that upcharge fee on NIN instead of MOP.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:06 pm

The guy Benz above has obviously not pulled his hair out in situations where custom shop options cross out standard expectations.

We all have our niches in the line we love more than the rest--for me it's the 150/60koa instruments. People pull their hair out trying to distinguish according to some "standard set of features," highly figured koa makes it a 160K (Wrong). Block inlays makes it a 160 (wrong). Highly flamed or figured solid maple body makes it a standard 160 (wrong). Dot inlays means it must be a 150 (wrong). Gold hardware makes it an instant 160. If you see non gold hardware, it's definitely a 150 (wrong).

Usually, the figured wood meant you had a 160. And that meant Mark would delete the pickguard. Usually, block inlays meant only 160. Usually the 160's had gold hardware. MOP Sword inlay on the headstock meant instant 160. And on and on--I've seen all of these rules broken. People called up, laid cold hard cash for a highly personalized set of choices, and all that went out the window, because people were buying a higher end Carvin and they took the deal. The custom shop was in operation even back then in the 80's... just in a much smaller way.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

Jbird
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Jbird » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:13 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:The guy Benz above has obviously not pulled his hair out in situations where custom shop options cross out standard expectations.

We all have our niches in the line we love more than the rest--for me it's the 150/60koa instruments. People pull their hair out trying to distinguish according to some "standard set of features," highly figured koa makes it a 160K (Wrong). Block inlays makes it a 160 (wrong). Highly flamed or figured solid maple body makes it a standard 160 (wrong). Dot inlays means it must be a 150 (wrong). Gold hardware makes it an instant 160. If you see non gold hardware, it's definitely a 150 (wrong).

Usually, the figured wood meant you had a 160. And that meant Mark would delete the pickguard. Usually, block inlays meant only 160. Usually the 160's had gold hardware. MOP Sword inlay on the headstock meant instant 160. And on and on--I've seen all of these rules broken. People called up, laid cold hard cash for a highly personalized set of choices, and all that went out the window, because people were buying a higher end Carvin and they took the deal. The custom shop was in operation even back then in the 80's... just in a much smaller way.

Agreed.

That's why it's so hard, if not impossible, to tell which model it was that I bought last year. Was it a DC150K or a DC160K? Standard 2-piece body, the upper half highly flamed, the lower half almost no flame at all. Chrome hardware, pickguard, yet it has the diamond/sword headstock inlay plus the abalone block inlays (which were available on a 150 for an upcharge).

In the end, who cares what model it is, the guitar plays really great! Better than my '84 DC160T, though it's close, as that is a fantastic guitar as well.

morph
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby morph » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:55 pm

So, for that general vintage, it would have been a 12" radius--assuming it was standard.

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Photo Gallery