NUGD - AC375

Post Pictures of Your Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Gear - No Cowbelling!

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

toejam
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

NUGD - AC375

Postby toejam » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:05 pm

New used guitar day! Found this on GC's website last weekend and decided to jump on it for only $350 with original Carvin-logoed case. Their pics looked too orange and it was hard to tell if it was koa or walnut, but looks like a nice brown figured/claro walnut. It's got some dings and dents and a little delamination going on in spots, but I strung it up with a new set of Martin Retros and it plays and sounds nice. Headstock is a slightly lighter color, but matches quite well... I'm guessing it's maple?
Cleaned and oiled the ebony board, and I'm having a blast banging on this thing. Don't have to worry about dinging it up! :laughhard:

I tightened the truss rod a tiny bit, and action is nice, but still a little high from the 12th to 21st fret. I guess that's somewhat normal on an acoustic? I've never owned an acoustic before, only played a couple that a cousin and friend owned awhile ago.

nicefull.jpg

ACtop.jpg

nicetop.jpg

fullback.jpg

ACtopscrapes.jpg

binddelam.jpg

dings.jpg

HS.jpg

nicehs.jpg

headchip.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dbone
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: NUGD - AC375

Postby dbone » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:28 pm

Nice score! Looks beautiful. Those are great guitars and so comfortable to play, That will quickly become your favorite couch jam guitar
dbones Lefties
DC150 M22T/M22V, DC150 M22SD/M22N
DC400A, K12B/K12N, DC600 M22SD/M22V, DC800 A80B/A80N
AE185 C22T/C22N/Piezo, AE185-12 H22T/H22N/Piezo
CT7M KL14B/KL14N, Bolt C22T/AP11/AP11, AC375, CL450, AC275K, SB5000 J99A pups

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:43 pm

If you adjust the truss rod and the action is still too high, you could have the bridge saddle shaved, but it has to be done properly or else the piezo won't make good contact and won't work right.

toejam
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby toejam » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:50 pm

I thought about shaving the saddle, but I'll just leave that to my local guitar shop if I decide to eventually have it lowered.

It really is an outstanding guitar! :)

Naked Ape
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Naked Ape » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:53 pm

Congrats!!! I almost bought that one. It was in Iowa, then sold. Then it popped up again in California, but I had already bought an AC275. Glad someone here got it. What a great deal you got. Enjoy!! :)

toejam
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby toejam » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:52 pm

Cool. Thanks. The guys at the GC store never replied to my message about better pics and what the extent of the damage was considering it said fair condition, or if it had the original case. Then a day or so later I just decided to buy it and had it delivered to my local store. I figured I've got 45 days to try it out and return it, but it plays pretty well and sounds great, so it's going to stay. :D

Coda
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Coda » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:20 am

Looks like a keeper to me! Those battle scars add to the intrigue. $350 is a great price, too. Really nice top, and I agree that you could always noodle with the bridge if you want it lower.

I've never set up a Carvin acoustic, but assuming the bottom of the bridge saddle is perfectly flat for contact with the piezo, you can shave it down pretty easily yourself. I stick a piece of 400 grit wet-or-dry sandpaper to a little block of granite that's perfectly flat, and then rub the saddle on it until it's the right height. I got my granite block for free at a counter-top place - I just asked them for a scrap and they let me choose from a big bin. You can also buy a tile at a home center.
CT624 - SH445 - Bolt+ - SCB7 - Vader7 - DC125 - Bolt Kit

toejam
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby toejam » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:19 am

Thanks. Might have to try next string change. Watched a couple YouTube vids about that. It's really not too bad now but could be lower for more comfortability up high.

Mike Jones
Kiesel Guitars Sales
Kiesel Guitars Sales

Postby Mike Jones » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:58 pm

Naked Ape wrote:Congrats!!! I almost bought that one. It was in Iowa, then sold. Then it popped up again in California, but I had already bought an AC275. Glad someone here got it. What a great deal you got. Enjoy!! :)

Lol. To be more specific, it popped up in the San Marco, CA store - exactly 2 miles from the factory here in Esco. :rockon:

toejam
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby toejam » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:37 pm

Thanks for replying to my PM, Mike!

So it was built in the fall of 2005 and FWTA - FWPH - G were the original codes on it. Great to know. :applause:

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Photo Gallery