Trans White GH3

Post Pictures of Your Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Gear - No Cowbelling!

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Dr. Rock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Trans White GH3

Postby Dr. Rock » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:33 pm

Hey all! My GH3 finally arrived last Friday. Quick specs: Floyd, ebony, trans white flame, 'hog back, 5-piece maple neck, 12" radius, stainless jumbos, twinblade neck, '59 bridge. This is beautiful and flawless - Great job Kiesel team! I sold 3 pretty good guitars to fund this purchase and it was totally worth it. A preview pic was posted on the Kiesel facebook and this is now on the GH3 gallery. So I've attached here a few of my images. I'm still looking for a name - any suggestions?!

Plus I copied two links to short sound samples. The first is a YouTube backing track I recorded yesterday (close your eyes - its part of an advertisement, that's my lovely wife), highlighting the twinblade neck (clean lead) and position 4 (clean rhythm), guitars into clean Mesa Boogie Rectoverb 25, into mic, no other effects. The second is a live recording clip from the weekend worship set, quick bit giving a decent example of the '59 lead tone, guitar into Nova System for drive and delay, into Marshall Class 5, into mic. Tonally, it is exactly what I was going for: legit stratty in the 2, 3, and 4 positions, Les Paul-ish in 1, and the fuller Satch/Timmons single coil neck tone in 5.

20170916_131329.jpg

20170915_135346.jpg

20170915_135306.jpg

20170915_135246.jpg

https://youtu.be/R-YGqQBZ0oM

https://twitter.com/CisternAndGrove/sta ... 4613583872
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: Trans White GH3

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:57 pm

Whose signature is that on the TRC?

Ahh, so this one was yours!
viewtopic.php?p=639252#p639252

Congrats on the NGD!

I'm happy to see several GH3s coming through. I hope they keep coming! but most importantly, I hope someone got in on the HH pickup config action!!! :)

toejam
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby toejam » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:54 pm

Sweet! Congrats. :)

toejam
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby toejam » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:58 pm

spudmunkey wrote:Whose signature is that on the TRC?

Greg Howe. ;)

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:17 pm

*facepalm* i forgot it was a sig model. :lol:

Catman10
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Catman10 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:12 am

Congrats! That looks and sounds great!! Great to see another Houstonian in the forum! I hope you and your family made it through Harvey with little or no damage.

Dr. Rock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Dr. Rock » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:05 am

Catman10 wrote:Congrats! That looks and sounds great!! Great to see another Houstonian in the forum! I hope you and your family made it through Harvey with little or no damage.

We came through high and dry, thanks! Unfortunately not so for many neighbors, co-workers, and friends, though.

Abdababda
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Abdababda » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:50 am

Glad to hear you are okay in Houston! VERY VERY nice GH3! Your's is much fancier than mine and I'm sure you will be enjoying it tremendously!

PO0784

Postby PO0784 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:01 am

OMG! So nice :D

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:53 am

Gorgeous!!! :applause:
SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on FaceBook
My YouTube Channel

MikeBass
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby MikeBass » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:13 pm

Awesome! Trans white definitely has to be one of my favorite “new” finishes
Kiesel basses, lots of pedals, nothing wrong

slayer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby slayer » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:33 pm

Fantastic guitar-Congrats!!
Bring Back the "ST" Body!!

Dr. Rock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Dr. Rock » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:58 pm

A quick bump to talk about the GH3. Been playing it constantly since it showed up.

An exceptionally built guitar. Flawless really, paint, wood, mechanical parts, etc. In terms of feel, it isn't much different from the Bolt, except I like the extended neck, which puts the hanging balance bridge-ward a few frets. This one is on the heavier side, but still quite comfortable. I do think the Kiesel quality surpasses previous Carvin-era builds. In addition to hidden things like parts upgrades, there is a slight finish quality improvement and attention to detail (edges, evenness, whatever). This one is a very unique in colors and woods, so I get lots of compliments on the visuals.

I don't hear much about the Twinblade... I've got it in the neck here, and it is great! I'd describe it as others have, not quite single coil, not quite humbucker. It has deepness and tonal girth, but still retains the glass edge. Maybe there's a little less fatness because of the 24-fret positioning, but I can't compare that. Honestly, I think for humbucker players who have never played a single coil, this is the sound they'd probably imagine a single coil should have. Then they pick up a classic strat and say, "whoah that's too bright and thin!" Thus, the Twinblade. With treble up high and on clean or light distortion, it gives a lot of that single coil neck rasp... you could mimic SRV or Hendrix well enough. Probably in the same class as Cool/Hot Rails, a very nice Andy Timmons neck sound. If you roll the treble down to 3-5 it sounds a lot like a P90. The neck tone with treble rolled off is very similar to the neck Bluesbucker in my DC400. Very cool!

The bridge Little '59 is nice. Rich, not too fat, very much a PAF style tone. And the Lithum single in the middle is also bright and crisp. Not as fat as the AP11, maybe a bit more of a traditional Fender-ish single coil sound. The 2 and 4 positions are quacky and clear. You can do all the Knopfler and Steve Miller sounds.

Overall a big win! Finally Kiesel-Carvin has a legitimate 24-Fret Bolt Pickguard competitor to the JEM and RGs, ESP ST1, Schecters, etc.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:33 pm

Dr. Rock wrote:In terms of feel, it isn't much different from the Bolt, except I like the extended neck, which puts the hanging balance bridge-ward a few frets.

This is fascinating. They are actually very close dimensionally, but the GH3's body extends ever-so-slightly further out the back so in theory, the whole guitar should hang out more towars the nut direction since the upper horn is identical. Although, the body has less wood around the lower horn, though, so perhaps the center of gravity is moved slighty towards the nut, which would make the guitar move to the bridge side ever-so-slightly...I think. Maybe. :lol:

Have you seen this thread? I overlay a Bolt and the GH3 to compare their dimensions:
http://www.kieselguitarsbbs.com/viewtopic.php?t=48840

Dr. Rock wrote:I don't hear much about the Twinblade... [...] If you roll the treble down to 3-5 it sounds a lot like a P90.
I've heard that mentioned 'round here a couple times.

Dr. Rock wrote:Overall a big win! Finally Kiesel-Carvin has a legitimate 24-Fret Bolt Pickguard competitor to the JEM and RGs, ESP ST1, Schecters, etc.

I know, right? The ONLY reason I'm not 100% GH3 is because I already have a 24-fret bolt on with my Aries. If I didn't, I'd get the GH3 over the Bolt 95 times out of 100.

RockCrue

Postby RockCrue » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:23 pm

What a beauty!!! :shock: :drool: :drool:

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Doctor Doug » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:40 pm

I love trans-white.
If it wouldn't result in possible homelessness, I would totally be getting a trans-white CS6.

Abdababda
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Abdababda » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:31 pm

Dr. Rock wrote:A quick bump to talk about the GH3. Been playing it constantly since it showed up...the bridge Little '59 is nice. Rich, not too fat, very much a PAF style tone. And the Lithum single in the middle is also bright and crisp. Not as fat as the AP11, maybe a bit more of a traditional Fender-ish single coil sound. Overall a big win!

I've been playing mine a great deal since it arrived in the middle of September. Now, it's time for a Thanksgiving trip home and a jam with some friends!

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Photo Gallery