Cream + Purple Heart HH2X!!

Post Pictures of Your Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Gear - No Cowbelling!

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

nathanfenner

Cream + Purple Heart HH2X!!

Postby nathanfenner » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:11 am

It came yesterday! Holdsworth neck and bridge pup, 14" radius, medium jumbo stainless steel frets. Not seen is a 5pc all maple neck and the push/pull function. Here's my photoshop vs. the final result as I imagined it:
21076862_10214318893795175_25453324_n.png

Thank you to everyone at Kiesel! It's absolutely stunning and a wonder to play.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Anthony7

Re: Cream + Purple Heart HH2X!!

Postby Anthony7 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:29 am

Good looking guitar. Really unique look; the cream really sets the fretboard off.

I love purple-heart. I built myself a 'V' with a purple-heart fret board. To me it has the same attack as ebony, but feels better.

I built myself an 'SG' type with yellow-heart. The fretboard was very similar to the purple-heart; however, that may not be always the case as a number of different woods are referred to as yellow-heart.

Greg Emm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Greg Emm » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:37 am

Congratulations. I'm glad your guitar plays as good as it looks. It is one of the nicest Kiesel's I've ever seen.

Enjoy! :coolpics:

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:36 am

That's awesome! :applause:
SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on FaceBook
My YouTube Channel

DWG
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby DWG » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:48 am

Sweet Holdsworth. It looks delicious. Congrats!

DWG

skully13a
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby skully13a » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:48 am

That cream does help make it a striking look.
Really nice, Nathanfenner! Congratulations. 8) 8)
SH645
V440T
Purple Bolt!
DC127 Koa
SM212 Stage Master
MB10

ChrisN
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ChrisN » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:32 am

Congrats on your unique build and welcome to the HH owners clan! Some tone samples would be much appreciated.

toejam
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby toejam » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:08 pm

:drool: Absolutely beautiful! Love it. Congrats. :applause:

jb63

Postby jb63 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:11 pm

That is pretty great! I love the satin finish on cream, the 14" radius and the smaller frets! Just a beautiful HH2X.
What do you think of the tremolo? I'm dying to read a good trem review!

Well, besides this one:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=49017&p=630060#p630060

nathanfenner

Postby nathanfenner » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:07 pm

jb63 wrote:That is pretty great! I love the satin finish on cream, the 14" radius and the smaller frets! Just a beautiful HH2X.
What do you think of the tremolo? I'm dying to read a good trem review!

Well, besides this one:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=49017&p=630060#p630060

I love the trem system! It flutters WAY better than any of my experiences with Floyds, and it just makes notes seriously sing. It returns to pitch amazingly, enough trem wankery might throw a string out by a hair, but tuning is so much easier than a Floyd that I'm not really worried about it. Besides, it's slowly holding tune the more I play it, likely from string stretching I imagine. Gotta get that.. nut sauce or whatever it is. I don't know that I notice gravity pulling my guitar's pitch a few cents when tilting, but I'll test it tonight.

I posted a video of me playing it in the Facebook group, it's somewhere in the recent videos here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/15314035284/videos/

I'm wearing the Plini shirt and playing the cream HH2x of course.

I'm extremely amazed at the resonance of the guitar (even though I didn't go with chambering). The sustain is ridiculous! Like, how.

The guitar is a little on the heavier side, likely cause I got it without chambering, but it is still the lightest guitar I own and it's incredibly compact. I'll weigh it sometime later.

14" radius feels great, bending and chords are pretty easy. The setup rocks, no dead notes and low action. I may lower the action from the bridge by a hair, but it's still low enough to hammer easily everywhere on the upper register.

The purple heart fingerboard feels so amazing with the stainless steel frets, and the color is so classy. This is my first guitar with stainless steel frets, very high-end and clean feeling, not to mention the peace of mind that comes from dressed, level, long lasting frets. I don't even really play hard enough to have worn down any of my nickel frets on my other guitars, but still. Curious to try EVO for next time.

The fingerboard grain pattern is stunning up close, I tried to get a good picture of it above. I don't think I've gotten a chance to try a 20" radius ever in my life, but I'm definitely curious and will want to try my next Holdsworth with that and chambering, for the Allan experience. And -maybe- one pickup.

Not sure I'm used to the angle at which the small switch flips on it's axis, wish it were angled a little more diagonally, and not so parallel to the fingerboard.

I can't speak much to the pickups yet because I don't have a really nice amplifier and OD to try them out in yet. Going direct in to my monitors though, I love the clarity and no noise.

The thinner neck profile is awesome for my smaller hands. It's rounded more than my old budget RG Ibby, I think Kiesel's neck supports better ergonomics for me.

I formed a bad habit over the years of hunching over while playing, so anytime I hunch over a little far, the trem arm falls out pretty easy. I think this is probably good for my playing habits but I gotta be sure to hold the arm in or angle the guitar right if I need to bend over and mess with my pedals.

The 5-piece all maple neck feels incredibly sturdy, and the satin finish over cream feels amazing on the neck and looks so delicious, I really want to just eat my guitar every time I open the case. The purple heart cavity cover is super sexy.

The verdict, I love it and want another. Probably will add chambering, staggered inlays, and a 20" radius, with trem, likely two pups direct mounted, also coil split. Unknown on the finish/woods for now, definitely wanna see if I can get anything lighter. It's gonna be hard to not choose purpleheart again for a fingerboard as well, getting really attached. I don't know if I can ever go back to double horn shapes or headstocks either. I'll also eventually want an HH7x too. Amp first though, amp first.. gotta buy an amp first.

jb63

Postby jb63 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:52 pm

Excellent review!
I am dying to try that term, but won't be building anything any time soon.
You can actually slightly unscrew the rings holding the switch and rotate it to any angle you feel comfortable with.

Plus, before you get "drummer back", look into the Alexander Technique. It saved me from years of practicing and awful habits.

I think if you google "Alexander Technique for musicians" you can find a lot of info.

Thanks for playing that H2x!

nathanfenner

Postby nathanfenner » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:53 am

jb63 wrote:Excellent review!
I am dying to try that term, but won't be building anything any time soon.
You can actually slightly unscrew the rings holding the switch and rotate it to any angle you feel comfortable with.

Plus, before you get "drummer back", look into the Alexander Technique. It saved me from years of practicing and awful habits.

I think if you google "Alexander Technique for musicians" you can find a lot of info.

Thanks for playing that H2x!

This comment likely will save my back and stop the strain, hadn't quite looked into that yet. Had no idea about switching the switch angle either, thank you! :D

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Photo Gallery