11/9/17: Lefty trans nightburst Aries bass has arrived!

Post Pictures of Your Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Gear - No Cowbelling!

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Bob C
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

11/9/17: Lefty trans nightburst Aries bass has arrived!

Postby Bob C » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:56 am

The new bass is beautiful. No complaints. Just about exactly what I expected and hoped for. That said, I've played an LB70 for 18 years and the Aries does have its differences from that.

Feel: It is bigger and heavier than the LB70. The neck is wider- more like a Fender Precision, which is what I was going for. But it will take a week or two to get used to. Neck profile and string spacing *may* be the same as my other bass, but I think neck width might extend a bit farther past the outer strings. Action and relief were about perfect, even after travelling to Minnesota. I will probably tweak it, but not until after I've played a few gigs. It really is good, right out of the box.

Look: They did a good job on the gradual fade on the burst that I requested. The body is alder, so no wild grain to brag about. But I like it and I really didn't want to spend more money on fancy wood. I'm not crazy about the little knots on the front (the back actually has a more interesting grain), but they're not bad. The cool thing is that they look like they're way deep down, as if they're underwater.

Sound: I've only played it through my Fender Rumble practice amp, so far. It's clear, punchy and even. Biggest surprise and relief is that the single coil bridge pickup has only a faint buzz. I'm sure this will vary from room to room, but I was afraid that it might be unusable. Now I'm not worried about that.

Volume balance between the two pickups is very good too. Blending in the KRJ adds just a bit of "edge".

I was also learey of the Dunlop Super Brights, as I've used these strings before and had a love/hate relationship with them. On this bass, they do have a bit of "new string drag", but for now they will do just fine.

I may gig with this bass this Saturday - if not, next weekend for sure. More tone reports to come. One thing I haven't done yet is a side-by-side volume/tone/growl comparison with my LB70.

Loving the bass. My fiancee and all my facebook friends love it too. Thanks to Mike Jones and all of Kiesel!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Greg Emm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: 11/9/17: Lefty trans nightburst Aries bass has arrived!

Postby Greg Emm » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:02 am

Congratulations, Bob C! That's one beautiful Aries bass. And your orderly review is really fantastic. Thank you for taking the time to compose such a great write up. You answered just about every question I had about this model. :woot: Enjoy!

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:58 am

Love it! :applause: :applause:
Aries A6H, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

Praiser
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Praiser » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:18 am

VERY nice!
Similar to my X54 fretless in nightburst with stock woods.

Congrats and enjoy!!
John

LB75AP, LB70P, X54F, BK50, BK50F, BK40, C780
PB100, PB200 (With BX500 head and 1x15 ext Cab)
XP1000L, LM153s, LS1801A
Rogue Fretless, Ibanez ABG, Dobro Bass
Peavey Fury P Bass

kdawg
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby kdawg » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:17 am

Love it. If it were a righty, I'd call it the perfect build. :wink:

skully13a
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby skully13a » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:22 am

Awesome lefty bass, BobC. 8) Some sweet birdseyes on that fretboard. :applause: :applause:
SH645
V440T
Purple Bolt!
DC127 Koa
SM212 Stage Master
MB10

Bob C
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Bob C » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:38 pm

Thanks guys. I can take some close-up shots if anyone wants. I just wanted to get a picture of the whole bass. It's not a birdseye maple board, but some cool grain snuck in there.

Greg Emm, anything else you want to know? I really planned this out and agonized over deciding some of the options. From the start, I was set on a basic workhorse passive bass. But I still wanted it to be tailor made for my wants and needs.

pbass6811
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby pbass6811 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:06 pm

Most excellent, my man! That is a superb specimen...well played!
-VB4/FDP
-VB5/fretted/White-Blue
-VB5/fretted/Satin Jet Black
-VB5/fretless/FDBC
-CT324X/Primer Gray

Greg Emm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Greg Emm » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:58 pm

Bob C wrote:Thanks guys. I can take some close-up shots if anyone wants. I just wanted to get a picture of the whole bass. It's not a birdseye maple board, but some cool grain snuck in there.

Greg Emm, anything else you want to know? I really planned this out and agonized over deciding some of the options. From the start, I was set on a basic workhorse passive bass. But I still wanted it to be tailor made for my wants and needs.

Thanks, Bob C. I was most curious about how this bass feels and sounds in the pickup configuration you chose, and your descriptions on those points are very informative. You provide a very clear sense of this bass's size and how it compares to other models, and how the neck feels compared to your LB70. The p-bass neck comparison gives a really good idea about how the Aries neck feels.

Thanks again for post. And thanks for welcoming questions and comments. More pictures are always cool, especially of those underwater knots. 8)

Enjoy.

MikeBass
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby MikeBass » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:58 pm

I’ve been waiting for this one :applause:
Came out great, I knew you’d like the Aries. Everything about the bass looks great, glad the singlecoil isn’t giving you trouble (mine have always been very quiet too) and plays well with the splitcoil.
I like the alder spots, gives the bass more character :rockon:
Congrats and enjoy
Kiesel basses, lots of pedals, nothing wrong

Bob C
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Bob C » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:11 pm

Here's a close-up of the body. The knots are maybe 1/8" in diameter. A couple are very close together.

MikeBass, I knew I'd like the Aries too!

Greg Emm, the neck isn't exactly like a P-bass (and they have more than one neck style too). But the Aries has that vintage vibe with a modern twist (eg, 24 frets) and the LB70 strikes me as straight-ahead boutique.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:54 am

LOVE IT.

Seriously, a great look.

Their split pu tones are SUPERB.
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

Bob C
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Bob C » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:26 am

My first gig with it will be tonight. I'll be bringing my LB70 too. As I just told a long-time friend who is a guitar player, I'm kind of nervous - mostly in a good way!

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Photo Gallery