DC600X - Blue Candy

Post Pictures of Your Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Gear - No Cowbelling!

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Doc_Shred

DC600X - Blue Candy

Postby Doc_Shred » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:56 am

Well after 17 weeks she finally arrived yesterday. Epic work from the guys and gals at Kiesel. The top and fingerboard were from a "Pick Your Top" back in September. The definition of the pocketing on the quilt is something else and the bookmatching is absolutely top notch. Jeff, as usual killed it with his Blue Candy finish. The one piece walnut neck feels amazing and VERY similar in feel and profile to my EBMM JP necks which until now were my favourite. The mastergrade Ziricote fingerboard is great and the pale strip is almost exactly the same colour as the lighter parts of the black limba body so it ties in really nicely. I think going for the gold bridge was the right choice. Looks great as the black piezo saddles tie in with the rest of the hardware and the gold just gives the guitar a little lift.

One thing I can't get my head around just yet is how different these 6 string Lithiums sound to the ones in my Vader 7 string. The Vader is also black limba and has a trem but the pickups sound completely different. The 6 string Lithiums are definitely hotter and don't seem like they've had as much of the low end taken away. Definitely warmer sounding.

The one tiny fly in the ointment is the wiring. I was expecting (as it was discussed with Chris Hong) for the 3 way toggle to be wired with a push/pull tone pot for coil splitting. As I understand it this is the standard practice for this setup and adding the piezo basically gives me exactly the same electrics as the LPM. However the guitar has come wired to automatically split the humbuckers in the middle position on the three way toggle and no push/pull. On the plus side this is exactly how it is on my Petrucci sigs so it's fine on that score, but by the same token I am losing some tonal options by not being able to split individual humbuckers. I'll ask the question to Chris after NAMM is done and dusted. A little disappointing perhaps but probably not worth sending the guitar thousands of miles back for!

Anyway... enough BS. Specs and pics!

DC600X Right Handed Hipshot/Kiesel Tremolo System
LMB Maple Neck/Black Limba Body
BV Bevelled Body Edges
CG Clear Gloss Finish(standard)
RNC Rear body natural clear
SWT Special Wood Top (see Jeff QT1)
255 25.5” Scale Length
THNN Thinner Neck Profile
TN Tung Oil Finish back of neck
WALN Walnut Neck
H33 Pointed 3+3 Headstock
QPH Quilted Maple Headstock matches body finish
50 Mastergrade Ziricote Fingerboard (see Jeff ZF1)
ISOD Staggered Offset Dot Inlays
IA Abalone Inlays
STF Stainless Steel Medium Jumbo Frets
K12B Lithium Bridge Pickup
K12N Lithium Neck Pickup
PPB Black Pole Pieces for Lithium Pickups
ABL Abalone Logo
AS Acoustic Saddles & Output
G Gold Hardware (bridge only)
BC Black Chrome Hardware (everything except bridge)
SL Dunlop Straplocks
SC10 Ultimate Soft Case
50 Custom Controls (customer provided layout diagram and selector switch)
50 Jeff to do Blue Candy Finish
R14 14” Radius (standard)

quilt copy.jpg

3 quarter.jpg

3 quarter2 copy.jpg

full.jpg

back.jpg

26961648_10155295333461094_6921090567331352767_o.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Greg Emm
Carvinite
Carvinite

Re: DC600X - Blue Candy

Postby Greg Emm » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:41 am

GREAT write-up for a stunning instrument. I'm sorry to hear about the wiring snafu, but hope CH can provide you with satisfactory information. Thanks for taking the time to compose such a thorough report on your new guitar and thanks, too, for pics of the beast in its home environment. :wink:

Enjoy!

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:45 am

That looks amazing. I like that you spend money where needed and didn't go over-the-top as it helps that incredible top/finish stand out.

One suggestion: Let Chris know right away. Even if he's not able to reply right away, you've done your dilligence to document it. Even if it's just a "Hey, just a heads up, and we can talk about it later, but just wanted Kiesel to know."

DWG
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby DWG » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:14 am

Wow! Great build. 8)

DWG

wickid
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby wickid » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:56 am

Great! 8)
I'm curious how they wired it up to auto-tap with that 3-way toggle like that. :think:
I would've thought it needed the push/pull, with the tap leads wired there. :?:
Proud Carvin owner since 1985! My Carvin gear time capsule...

Dont miss the purple CT6!
(Any photobucket links are probably now broken. Grrrrrr!!!)

dbone
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby dbone » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:45 am

What a lovely Blue top!
dbones Lefties
DC150 M22T/M22V, DC150 M22SD/M22N
DC400A, K12B/K12N, DC600 M22SD/M22V, DC800 A80B/A80N
AE185 C22T/C22N/Piezo, AE185-12 H22T/H22N/Piezo
CT7M KL14B/KL14N, Bolt C22T/AP11/AP11, AC375, CL450, AC275K, SB5000 J99A pups

kdawg
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby kdawg » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:05 pm

Great looking guitar there! I'm sure the tung-oiled walnut is to die for. Happy strummin'.

Doc_Shred

Postby Doc_Shred » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:52 am

Greg Emm wrote:GREAT write-up for a stunning instrument. I'm sorry to hear about the wiring snafu, but hope CH can provide you with satisfactory information. Thanks for taking the time to compose such a thorough report on your new guitar and thanks, too, for pics of the beast in its home environment. :wink:

Enjoy!

Cheers Greg. The guitar is epic. The piezo system sounds great as well which is the icing on an already tasty cake.

The light in my daughter's bedroom happened to be pretty good. She like dinosaurs. A lot!!

spudmunkey wrote:That looks amazing. I like that you spend money where needed and didn't go over-the-top as it helps that incredible top/finish stand out.

One suggestion: Let Chris know right away. Even if he's not able to reply right away, you've done your dilligence to document it. Even if it's just a "Hey, just a heads up, and we can talk about it later, but just wanted Kiesel to know."

Thanks mate. Yeah that bit of quilt is superb. Even though the pockets are quite small they're really defined and 3D looking. Top marks to whoever bookmatched it! Definitely a good base for Jeff's Blue Candy finish.

I gave Mike Jones a shout and he put me onto Joe the service manager so I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of it. A bit disappointing not to have the extra tonal options but what there are sound great.

wickid wrote:
Great! 8)
I'm curious how they wired it up to auto-tap with that 3-way toggle like that. :think:
I would've thought it needed the push/pull, with the tap leads wired there. :?:

Yeah it's funny as the 3 way plus push/pull pot is their standard system. Coincidentally the way they've done it with the coil split in the middle position is exactly how the Ibanez and EBMM Petruccis are wired!

kdawg wrote:Great looking guitar there! I'm sure the tung-oiled walnut is to die for. Happy strummin'.

Cheers man! Yeah the one piece tung oiled walnut feels great. It'll be my go to for future builds for sure.

ilyti
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby ilyti » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:56 am

Man, that is a classy shred machine!

Do my eyes deceive me, or are the horns a wee bit longer on the 25.5 scale dc600, than the standard 25? If so, never noticed it til now.

Doc_Shred

Postby Doc_Shred » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:05 pm

ilyti wrote:Man, that is a classy shred machine!

Do my eyes deceive me, or are the horns a wee bit longer on the 25.5 scale dc600, than the standard 25? If so, never noticed it til now.

Cheers dude! You know it's funny you should mention that. I always thought that the horns did look a bit stubby on the DC compared to say the Aries. But yeah on this one they seem to look longer and better proportioned. It may be an optical illusion caused by the horns being bevelled and appearing thinner maybe?

Doc_Shred

Postby Doc_Shred » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:08 pm

Update to the wiring issue:

Well not only is the push/pull MIA it also appears that the middle position has been wired up with the outer coils active instead of the inner ones AND they've been wired out of phase! I've spoken to Albert and he's as confused as I am as to why it's been done this way. Unfortunately the shipping costs in either direction to get this sorted would be ridiculous (UK-USA-UK) so I'll be getting it done locally. However the guys were very apologetic about the error and Albert has sent me the correct wiring diagram and a push/pull pot with be on it's way to me. I've also been given a not unreasonable discount on my next build to compensate. Can't say fairer than that! I'm actually having a big brother 7 string made with the same wiring & control layout. Fingers crossed!! Needless to say that the instructions for wiring it will be more specific this time!

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Photo Gallery