CS6 ?

Post Pictures of Your Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Gear - No Cowbelling!

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

bobbytunes

CS6 ?

Postby bobbytunes » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:50 am

I have a question here. I purchased this guitar from guitar center. Can anyone tell me if it is a cs 6 ? the case has cs424 on it. Either way it's a beautiful work of art. Thanks in advance
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: CS6 ?

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:54 am

It is definitely a CS, but with the reflections, it's hard to see if it is a CS6. The six comes standard with a figured wood top. If it is a plain Maple top, then it could either be a CS3, or they used to be called CS4 a couple of years ago, but they streamlined the separate models so now you just get a maple top on a CS3 rather it being a separate model.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:58 am

Looks like a cs424 to me... If it's a figured/flamed top it's wayyyyyy too subtle to be a typical 6. I don't think the Kiesels bought many billets of AA type flame.. they're usually AAA+ or plain tops. Not that I haven't seen dud flame, but just saying it's not the most common, not by a long shot.

I see a flame like pattern but I'm not sure if that's a reflection or not.

Which in itself sorta makes the case for it being a 4.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

bobbytunes

Postby bobbytunes » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:59 am

Thank you. Looks to be a plain top. Thing is a real beast. Very satisfied with the tone and playability. Love my Carvins also own 2 bolts. One a kit another a factory built. Here is another shot of the CS
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:04 am

Yep, that's a classic cs4 (don't think they call it that now, see spuds post above). Great axe and the only difference between that and the 6 is purely decorative/wood figure.

Enjoy that savage beast.. she snarls so sweet.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

bobbytunes

Postby bobbytunes » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:10 am

Thanks guys. She sure does play sweet,sustain for days. Purchased on a whim, very very satisfied,do not know if I would have built her any different myself on a custom order. :rockon:

texastoast
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby texastoast » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:07 am

Doctor Turn wrote: purely decorative/wood figure.

It is common knowledge that the flames bring out the high end. The quilt generates a more focused mid range and booming bottom end. This is how I justify the added expense I encountered while collecting them. :)

Nice guitar. Just as pretty as they come.

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Doctor Doug » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:23 am

The CS is by far my favourite Carvin/Kiesel model. I know exactly what you mean by the sustain....Enjoy that gorgeous monster.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:03 am

texastoast wrote:
Doctor Turn wrote: purely decorative/wood figure.

It is common knowledge that the flames bring out the high end. The quilt generates a more focused mid range and booming bottom end. This is how I justify the added expense I encountered while collecting them. :)

Nice guitar. Just as pretty as they come.

:lol: Words of wisdom, of course. Don't get me started on what making a Les Paul a double cut takes away from the tone. Add the closed rounded top bout, and the tone fills out. Take it away, klunk city. (Hate my 150k because of this known problem).

And everyone knows that shaving down the bolt neck joint down toward the neck on the back of the body, and switching the position of one of the bolts on the Aries (vs a strat square box joint) totally kills the sustain of the guitar and causes the phase inverter tube to explode in your pre-amp. Disgusting that so few accept this bible truth.

Only an extremely heavy, extremely old guitar with a plastic nut, plastic jack plate and a hugely inconvenient neck joint delivers proper tone.

It's tempting to jump to the related subject of what removing the headstock does to the negative feedback of an amplifiers tone stack. But that's a whole nother very angry thread altogether. :lol:
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

dejabluguitar
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby dejabluguitar » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:45 am

plain maple is harder and denser than it's flamed \quilted cousins.(Jeff has said tis) Plain will have tighter lows and be brighter than the softer figured stuff.
my cover band http://www.dejabluband.com

my original music
http://www.soundcloud.com/montanestudio
way diffrent than my cover band

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:11 pm

OMG.. I totally thought he was being sarcastic, so I thought I would joke along. (It's tough to tell with TT sometimes, because he already has a subtle sense of humor.)
Sorry if I offended, I didn't mean it... but I don't believe in sonic variances from tops alone. Especially not two mahog bodies/maple top, but one has a quilt maple top and the other has a plain maple top. I draw the line with stuff like that.

Maybe from body woods--that's tonewood to me--, but not tops. Most definitely not purely based on the figure of two solid tops of the same wood type on the same bodies. I think tops are mostly, purely decorative (semi's and hollows are a totally different story, dealing with soundboards).
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

bobbytunes

Postby bobbytunes » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:01 pm

Not a real audiophile as far as the differences top woods make. Have also heard the complaint SS frets are bright sounding. A good EQ goes a long ways in shaping the sound/tone. Just my 2 cents. Carvins rock anyway ya look at it.

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:13 pm

Ages ago we had a member here that called himself Christianfox (I think) who had a blue CS with diamond inlays. But I can't remember if his was flamed or not. First thing I thought when I saw that pic was that he'd sold it and it ended up in Guitar Center.

Either way, congrats on an awesome score! That looks like a really fun guitar.
:applause:
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:15 pm

Yeah, here's the one that belonged to Christianfox (and probably still does).

Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100

bobbytunes

Postby bobbytunes » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:20 pm

Ty on the guitar, found it online at the GC in Asheville NC. 899.00 plus tax and shipping. Feel very blessed for sure. Guitar is flawless, looks like she lived in her case .
\

texastoast
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby texastoast » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:29 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:OMG.. I totally thought he was being sarcastic, so I thought I would joke along. (It's tough to tell with TT sometimes, because he already has a subtle sense of humor.)
Sorry if I offended, I didn't mean it... but I don't believe in sonic variances from tops alone. Especially not two mahog bodies/maple top, but one has a quilt maple top and the other has a plain maple top. I draw the line with stuff like that.

Maybe from body woods--that's tonewood to me--, but not tops. Most definitely not purely based on the figure of two solid tops of the same wood type on the same bodies. I think tops are mostly, purely decorative (semi's and hollows are a totally different story, dealing with soundboards).

I was joking. Like I said. Justifying the cost in my head.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:58 pm

I'm glad. I totally thought so, but Deja made me think I misread it.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

dbone
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby dbone » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:08 pm

Wow just goes to show you that the description of stunning does not require the word “figured” in it.
dbones Lefties
DC150 M22T/M22V, DC150 M22SD/M22N
DC400A, K12B/K12N, DC600 M22SD/M22V, DC800 A80B/A80N
AE185 C22T/C22N/Piezo, AE185-12 H22T/H22N/Piezo
CT7M KL14B/KL14N, Bolt C22T/AP11/AP11, AC375, CL450, AC275K, SB5000 J99A pups

ilyti
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby ilyti » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:57 pm

dbone wrote:Wow just goes to show you that the description of stunning does not require the word “figured” in it.

Totally agreed. I could even make a case for plain tops being prettier than figured ones on certain types of guitars, the CS/LP style being one. With the plain top, I find myself admiring the shape, the carved figure of the top, and the whole picture more than with the flame. Same logic as "pretty girls don't need makeup".
Great find, man!

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:52 am

dbone wrote:Wow just goes to show you that the description of stunning does not require the word “figured” in it.

Absolutely!

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Photo Gallery