Yellow flame CT624

Post Pictures of Your Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Gear - No Cowbelling!

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Chezdon

Yellow flame CT624

Postby Chezdon » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:18 am

Hi there,

Making a build for this, basically a clone. Love it.

https://www.kieselguitars.com/guitargal ... allery.jpg

Anyone got one similar? Not sure if I want satin or gloss. Satin looks great in the pics but I fear it might look slightly dull in real life. Also, not sure about inlays or not. I think I'm competent enough not to need them but I don't wanna not get them and have the horrible shock of not being able to play without them.

Also coming from an RG1570 Wizard neck so I guess I'll want the thin neck option (can't really stand strat/les paul necks)?

Thank you.

dbone
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: Yellow flame CT624

Postby dbone » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:53 am

I think gloss is a better long term solution than satin. Your neck will still have lumilay sidedots. I have a couple guitars without and it’s not an issue.
That will be a good build
dbones Lefties
DC150 M22T/M22V, DC150 M22SD/M22N
DC400A, K12B/K12N, DC600 M22SD/M22V, DC800 A80B/A80N
AE185 C22T/C22N/Piezo, AE185-12 H22T/H22N/Piezo
CT7M KL14B/KL14N, Bolt C22T/AP11/AP11, AC375, CL450, AC275K, SB5000 J99A pups

Chezdon

Postby Chezdon » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:26 am

Yeah, I think I'll go gloss.

https://www.kieselguitars.com/guitargal ... allery.jpg

Looks amazing.

Holy GAS... heeeelp meeeeee. Think I'll forego the inlays. I think I'm competent enough and it looks sexy as hell without any.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:29 am

Not only will satin look a little dull compared to gloss when new, but the satin will develop shiny spots over time anyways. I would go gloss well. Another option for the inlays... 12th fret only? I did that on my Aries.
Last edited by spudmunkey on Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

DannyB819
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby DannyB819 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:02 am

I'll chime in for satin, especially if you play live in front of other people on stages under lights.

I have a satin Carvin I played daily for practice, weekly rehearsals, weekly for long live cover gigs, and monthly studio gigs for nearly six years and there isn't a shiny "buffed to gloss" spot on it. It's relegated to backup duty now and doesn't get played as much as it used to, but I probably put about 10 years of wear on it in six and there isn't a shiny spot on her.

I've written this a bunch of times before, but I think satin guitars look way better under stage lights. The mirror-like reflection of gloss tends to bounce stage lights off it it like a mirror would, making the guitar just look like a flash of light when the lights hit it directly. A satin guitar, on the other hand, seems to absorb the light and comes alive under stage lights, since there isn't any mirror-like finish to bounce the light back off of it.

What I've also written before is that satin guitar looks kind of "meh" when just under normal lighting in the house or in the studio, but it's a gold top, so it just looks kind of "tan" in those situations. On stage though, this is one of my favorite guitars to play - the light from stage makes that gold top really glow, which is a really awesome side effect of the nature of the satin finish.

Since you're going with a figured top, I also think a satin finish will make the guitar look more like a stately, seasoned instrument rather than a piece of furniture. To me, and I know I'm in the vast minority for this around these parts where fancy looking wood is equated with quality, fancy looking woods with shiny gloss tops scream "overcompensation." I've got nothing against nice wood, I even have two non-Kiesel/Carvin fancy wood guitars, but often times the aesthetics of a guitar are inversely proportional to the playing ability of its owner.

Chezdon

Postby Chezdon » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:40 am

Interesting point of view, thank you for the post.

I am trying to get in to bands now, but for the most part I'm a bedroom dweller. Possibly a 12th fret inlay but I kinda feel all or nothing.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:30 am

Definitely a matter of taste, on the gloss and shine. There's no wrong answer, just a preference.

I only currently have satin necks, one from '08 and one from '16, and they both have significant glossy spots around the 2nd-7th fret (show where I spend most of my play time! :lol: ). I had an a satin acoustic, and it had two large glossy patches: one where the forearm rests and one where there might sometimes be a pickguard...as well as the neck, which was effectively a perfectly, fully, glossy neck after 15 years of play. That said, when where the neck HAD glossed up, it's still smoother somehow than the gloss neck on my AC375 and my Taylor acoustic, which should be the same type of finish.

A satin finish will let you see more of the top more of the time, but can be...sort of slightly clouded...while glossy will showcase the finish best, but with un-diffused glare, you won't be able to some/all of it, and it'll also appear (sometimes much) darker/richer with deeper blacks. Because of this, natural wood finishes and lighter colors fare best, i think.

Here's the same guitar, in satin and glossy. I will note, in satin's defence, this photo appears to be taken to ensure maximum glare on both, and Satin doesn't always (or even most of the time) look that washed out.

When I'm shipping for TVs or computer monitors, my #1 feature I look for are deep, rich colors, high contrast, and deep pure blacks. Something Satin finishes fall short on FOR MY OWN PERSONAL TASTES.

Another example: here's a matte Jet Black instrument with a glossy black pickguard:

...and here's one in gloss:

Again, all personal taste and there's no wrong answer.

I was chicken, and needed some inlay on the face of the fretboard. :laughhard: No inlays certainly look bad-ass and really showcase the fretboard woods, though!!

Chezdon

Postby Chezdon » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:22 pm

Wow that red guitar, that is so beautiful! The inlay as well, classy.

dbone
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby dbone » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:04 am

So is that vintage yellow or daisy?
My internal dilemma is would I do this in CT6 or SH6...
dbones Lefties
DC150 M22T/M22V, DC150 M22SD/M22N
DC400A, K12B/K12N, DC600 M22SD/M22V, DC800 A80B/A80N
AE185 C22T/C22N/Piezo, AE185-12 H22T/H22N/Piezo
CT7M KL14B/KL14N, Bolt C22T/AP11/AP11, AC375, CL450, AC275K, SB5000 J99A pups

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Photo Gallery