Trying to choose a top

Post Pictures of Your Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Gear - No Cowbelling!

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

User avatar
YaiiE
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 53
Joined: Nov 2016
Location: Spring Hill, FL
Links/Contact:

Trying to choose a top

Postby YaiiE » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:44 pm

Hey guys! I was hoping you could help me with choosing a new top. I went with Flamed Maple for my first Kiesel. This time around I want to do something different for <$400.

The guitar's going to be a DC 600 with a deep moss green / trans green / gloss finish.

Swamp Ash
Black Limba
Spalted Maple

I can't choose!

Would you happen to have any pics of these tops, painted? For example: I saw a fair amount of Swamp Ash tops on Google but they were raw or glossed, un-painted.

With flamed maple I believe there's different tiers of tops: 4a - 6a? Are there varying tiers for all the tops or just the flamed maple? If I were to grab a Black Limba would it have consistent figuring? Or would there be an up charge for more a more consistent figuring?

One last question - The flamed maple top's book matched which is what causes that slight seam down the middle where the two pieces are glued together? These tops (swamp, black limba, spalted) aren't bookmatched so I assume they're one solid piece? No Seam?

Thank you!

User avatar
dbone
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Posts: 1427
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: SF Bay Area

Re: Trying to choose a top

Postby dbone » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:34 pm

Well you could choose a black limba neck and body and then tell them that you do not want a “top wood” and then get moss green over the whole thing.. So that’s two black limba body wings glued to a black limba neck through. They typically make the efffort to make the pieces look good together but look at a few online.
Try googling Black limba moss green. A build like this in my opinion can often look better without getting a top wood. You might need to check with them but the DC600 without a top wood used to get a deeper arm relief contour.
Either way you can find a ton of builds photos with a few keywords searched on google photos
Swamp ash in AAT with moss green as well as spalted maple moss green can both look real good too.
I know it’s tuff to decide, the best thing you can do is lots of homework and look at lots of pics.
dbones Lefties
DC150 M22T/M22V, DC150 M22SD/M22N
DC400A, K12B/K12N, DC600 M22SD/M22V, DC800 A80B/A80N
AE185 C22T/C22N/Piezo, AE185-12 H22T/H22N/Piezo
CT7M KL14B/KL14N, Bolt C22T/AP11/AP11, AC375, CL450, AC275K, SB5000 J99A pups

User avatar
Koshchei
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Posts: 2396
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Peterborough, Ontario

Re: Trying to choose a top

Postby Koshchei » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:28 am

YaiiE wrote:Hey guys! I was hoping you could help me with choosing a new top. I went with Flamed Maple for my first Kiesel. This time around I want to do something different for <$400.

The guitar's going to be a DC 600 with a deep moss green / trans green / gloss finish.

Swamp Ash
Black Limba
Spalted Maple

I can't choose!

Would you happen to have any pics of these tops, painted? For example: I saw a fair amount of Swamp Ash tops on Google but they were raw or glossed, un-painted.

With flamed maple I believe there's different tiers of tops: 4a - 6a? Are there varying tiers for all the tops or just the flamed maple? If I were to grab a Black Limba would it have consistent figuring? Or would there be an up charge for more a more consistent figuring?

One last question - The flamed maple top's book matched which is what causes that slight seam down the middle where the two pieces are glued together? These tops (swamp, black limba, spalted) aren't bookmatched so I assume they're one solid piece? No Seam?

Thank you!



Spalt
11083721_1560986420851321_3875762153485168998_o_zpsjpib5ofg.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
YaiiE
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 53
Joined: Nov 2016
Location: Spring Hill, FL
Links/Contact:

Re: Trying to choose a top

Postby YaiiE » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:11 am

I’m 99.99% sure I’m going to go with Zebrawood. I was wondering if we could request a darker mahogany for the neck wood? Is there an up charge? I’ve seen quite a difference in color when it comes to mahogany. I was hoping to get a darker neck so it’d contrast better against the lighter Ash body.

User avatar
Bovine
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Posts: 1039
Joined: Jul 2012

Re: Trying to choose a top

Postby Bovine » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:25 am

I think this may cover all your bases. This is my DC700 and is my favorite of all my guitars:

Trans Moss Green
Zebrawood Top
Swamp Ash Body
5pc Mahogany Neck w/Maple Stripes
Zebrawood board
Unpainted Headstock

Best wishes to you man! I think you'll love it!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
On Facebook.com/FoolsErrandRockBand Lyrics & Samples at: FoolsErrandRockBand.com

"Meaty enough for the mind, soothing enough for the soul"

User avatar
YaiiE
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 53
Joined: Nov 2016
Location: Spring Hill, FL
Links/Contact:

Re: Trying to choose a top

Postby YaiiE » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:03 pm

Bovine wrote:I think this may cover all your bases. This is my DC700 and is my favorite of all my guitars:

Trans Moss Green
Zebrawood Top
Swamp Ash Body
5pc Mahogany Neck w/Maple Stripes
Zebrawood board
Unpainted Headstock

Best wishes to you man! I think you'll love it!


That’s beautiful!! And it was exactly what I was hoping to find!! Thank you!

User avatar
Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Posts: 4655
Joined: Aug 2015
Location: NYC, sans rock clubs and 48th St.
Links/Contact:

Re: Trying to choose a top

Postby Doctor Turn » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:10 pm

I tend to not think of limba as a top wood by itself. It's kind of like mahogany in the sense that when it's on a top, it's usually because the body is made of it also.. see the original Les Paul Customs (the real deal original Fretless Wonders. They had hog Honduras bodies and separate bound Honduran hog tops). The original standard Hagstrom Swedes, the 24.75 scale thingy of the seventies and eighties, were the exact same thing right down to the ebony fretboard.

Of course if you want to be decorative, you can get a thin slice of anything thrown in top of a slab body I guess. My theoretical cs3 will have a korina limba body and top, as well.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

User avatar
Bovine
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Posts: 1039
Joined: Jul 2012

Re: Trying to choose a top

Postby Bovine » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:51 am

YaiiE wrote:
Bovine wrote:I think this may cover all your bases. This is my DC700 and is my favorite of all my guitars:

Trans Moss Green
Zebrawood Top
Swamp Ash Body
5pc Mahogany Neck w/Maple Stripes
Zebrawood board
Unpainted Headstock

Best wishes to you man! I think you'll love it!


That’s beautiful!! And it was exactly what I was hoping to find!! Thank you!

Yaaaayyyyy YaiiE!! Happy to help you out! Be sure to post your pics & specs once you pull the trigger. Would love my build to have a brother from another Kiesel mother out there somewhere! :D
On Facebook.com/FoolsErrandRockBand Lyrics & Samples at: FoolsErrandRockBand.com



"Meaty enough for the mind, soothing enough for the soul"

User avatar
Bovine
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Posts: 1039
Joined: Jul 2012

Re: Trying to choose a top

Postby Bovine » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:02 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:I tend to not think of limba as a top wood by itself. It's kind of like mahogany in the sense that when it's on a top, it's usually because the body is made of it also.. see the original Les Paul Customs (the real deal original Fretless Wonders. They had hog Honduras bodies and separate bound Honduran hog tops). The original standard Hagstrom Swedes, the 24.75 scale thingy of the seventies and eighties, were the exact same thing right down to the ebony fretboard.

Of course if you want to be decorative, you can get a thin slice of anything thrown in top of a slab body I guess. My theoretical cs3 will have a korina limba body and top, as well.


Would love to see that CS3 get built, Doc ---- I eventually would like to do an all limba build too, totally tung oiled. Such an inticing wood type!
On Facebook.com/FoolsErrandRockBand Lyrics & Samples at: FoolsErrandRockBand.com



"Meaty enough for the mind, soothing enough for the soul"


Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Photo Gallery

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests