NGD: the AlTimATE HH2_nu pics

Post Pictures of Your Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Gear - No Cowbelling!

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

ChrisN
Gold Member
Gold Member

NGD: the AlTimATE HH2_nu pics

Postby ChrisN » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:17 am

This is long time overude, and I feel overjoyed I am able to finally post it here.
My ‘AlTimATE’ HH has exceeded my expectations in nearly all of the applicable aspects.

The build aesthetics: seamless, flawless, with some delicate 3D-like visual effects on the mahogany body and 2-piece spruce top covered with gloss finish. The originally missed tamarind knobs make the guitar sizzling on its overall discrete beauty now. They raise the HH’s electric-acoustic profile in a classy way.

Weight/balance: 2.2kg (4.85lbs) No typo here. I could not believe that myself. The guitar seems to weigh absolutely nothing. It would be balanced absolutely perfect if the Hipshot hardtail was just a tad heavier, though. No biggie, it balances good enough for me.

Hardware: I find the Hipshot headless headpiece irreplaceable with any other one accepting double ball strings I would gladly use. Neither Steinberger nor JCustom hardware would fit, mainly due to the slotted nut presence. Still, I am going to get spare set screws to provide longer life of the original unit.

Mahogany/spruce chambered body: in 38 years of playing guitar, I have never ever experienced such an amount of natural dynamics and loudness coming from an electric guitar body, including my 2015 alder/birch Carvin HH1X. The ‘AlTimATE’ HH rings and vibrates nearly like a full-sized thinline electric-acoustic. The lower bout is specifically sensitive to the famous open B-string test. It seems to vibrate forever(*).

5-piece maple neck/ebony fretboard: adjusted from the stock relief to user’s dead straight, offering quick note response and easy navigation.

Vertically crowned SS jumbo frets: providing more than 1mm of the fret width per side, they cannot get any better than this. Current E1 and E2 strings action @12th fret is 0.7 mm and 0.8 mm, respectively.

Acoustic-Electric Tones: at first I felt a bit cautious about hearing the KH12B pickup being overloaded with the body’s acoustic properties. I shouldn’t have. The magnetic pickup guitar tone accompanied with the stock circuit emerged as lively, vibrant and blossoming with well balanced lows and shimmering highs, followed by slightly hollow mids. This is a huge departure from my alder/birch HH1X’s mild midrange domination. (*)It is worth mentioning the ‘AlTimATE’ HH’s long sustain has nothing to do with a wood slab sustain, it does not promote JUST the note length but it makes the note blossom and last, and fade with a multitude of tonal colors, remaining extremely prone to articulation. It creates the electric-acoustic clean, modulated and overdriven tones in an utterly original way and I am sticking to the original circuit, at least for now. In a live situation, it sounded spectacular with medium gain and high volume, with no sign of feedback coming from large spatial stereo guitar tones image. It is not a pro-grade production you will find the link to below, still I hope you'd get an idea of what I am writing here about. Unfortunately, someone moved the camcorder during the 2nd set, so there is our bassist Voy missing in the frame:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/16zkK1l ... sp=sharing
Wonder what side of its tone I will face in a studio environment. We are scheduled to enter the studio in late June / early August to record a new tune you can hear /see the snippets of in the enclosed footage.
Thanks for reading!
IMG_20180627_182509.jpg
IMG_20180627_183333.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ChrisN on Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
2015 alder/birch HH1X w/KH12B pickup
2018 mahogany/spruce HH2 w/KH12B pickup

https://soundcloud.com/krzysztof-narbut

MarkusB
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: NGD: the AlTimATE HH2

Postby MarkusB » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:18 pm

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
:D

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:35 pm

Fantastic!!! :applause:
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

DWG
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby DWG » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:55 pm

Bravo! Thank you for the detailed review and performance clip. :woot:

DWG

Casual Madman
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Casual Madman » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:46 pm

Not one close-in frontal shot of the top?! C'mon.

colossal
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby colossal » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:04 am

Whoa! Truly beautiful! Really an incredible looking and sounding guitar :o Excellent field report too, Chris, thanks for all of the details. Great to hear that the stock wiring is working well. How are you getting along with the fixed bridge? I do love even how much lighter they make the HHs. I so wish the headpiece would accommodate double-ball strings (but I guess we are a dying breed). What gauge strings did you go with, 9s?

Go forth and make great sounds!
:coolpics: :rockon:

ChrisN
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ChrisN » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:24 am

THX Markus & Elf!

CM, you made me install the wooden knobs earlier than I intended :D

THX Dave! I made friends with the fixie instantly. Switching to 8-38 gauge bright sounding D'Addarios gives a feeling of playing a 9-42 set. Gotta love the 25.5" scale!
2015 alder/birch HH1X w/KH12B pickup
2018 mahogany/spruce HH2 w/KH12B pickup

https://soundcloud.com/krzysztof-narbut

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Photo Gallery