Cow's final build NGD

Post Pictures of Your Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Gear - No Cowbelling!

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: Cow's final build NGD

Postby UnexplodedCow » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:18 am

Well, it's on the return trip to Kiesel to get those posts sorted out. I'll update if anything changes.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

Casual Madman
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Casual Madman » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:43 am

Good luck, Cow. Lovely instrument.

arahobob
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby arahobob » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:34 pm

freakofnature wrote:Looks great! A while back I ordered 2 Vaders when the new Trem was available. Both had the same minor tuning stability issues you mentioned. I returned them immediately for something else as Trem stability is an absolute MUST HAVE for me. Went back to my trusty Floyd's. I did NOT however notice if it had leaning posts like that so I can't comment if that's normal.

I too didn't care for the bridge - mostly for other reasons but tuning was a bit flaky as well.
It seems like most folks are having better luck with them in general so that's a good sign.

I hope it works out for you.
Current Carvins:
2010 Bolt (Candy Red Metallic)
2013 Bolt Plus (Koa)
2016 Black n Blue VSEVEN
2017 TT SCB6

Wish List
Some sort of multiscale 6 HSS with RAD ASH
JB Numbers Guitar (July sale has given me the itch!)

Treadplatedual
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Treadplatedual » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:51 am

Excited to see it complete (again?)!

Keep us.....

posted. 8)
2017 SH6 - Piezo/S22s

RockCrue

Postby RockCrue » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:38 pm

Whoa, thats nice!!!!

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:34 am

Got a notice last night with some tracking; it's on its way back! Should be here on Tuesday.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:21 am

A happy ending to the story!

It arrived about an hour ago; in the freezing temps, in tune. Posts are upright, and the holes re-drilled/shimmed. Playin' great now, no signs of tuning problems.

One neat factor is that I'd ordered the standard Ash body, which is normally 2 piece. After looking at pictures, and now the guitar end-grain, I'm dead certain it's a one piece body. I didn't see that at first, but it's a cool upgrade. Beautiful guitar, and I'm glad it was taken care of.

Best neck I've had, still. It's good to have it back.

skully13a
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby skully13a » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:56 am

Right on! 8) All's well that ends well. :)
SH645
V440T
SM212 Stage Master
MB10

dbone
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby dbone » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:04 am

Ahh very good to hear that enjoy!
dbones Lefties
SH550 M22SD M22N
DC150 M22T/M22V, DC150 M22SD/M22N
DC400A, K12B/K12N, DC600 M22SD/M22V, DC800 A80B/A80N
AE185 C22T/C22N/Piezo, AE185-12 H22T/H22N/Piezo
CT7M KL14B/KL14N, Bolt C22T/AP11/AP11, AC375, CL450, AC275K, SB5000 J99A pups

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:38 am

Love a happy ending!
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

ilyti
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby ilyti » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:03 am

Awesome, glad it worked out. :D

ioneater
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby ioneater » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:35 pm

Right on!

d48558e9ec8182b58e28fee047984727--waynes-world-party-time.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Treadplatedual
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Treadplatedual » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:23 pm

Glad to hear it Cow!

Hey, perhaps I missed something, but why is this the "final" build?
2017 SH6 - Piezo/S22s

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:46 pm

Treadplatedual wrote:Glad to hear it Cow!

Hey, perhaps I missed something, but why is this the "final" build?

That question is going to take some explaining, and what amounts to a life story:

As I age, I came to realize that more was not better, and that I'd cluttered up my life (and house) with more equipment than I needed. Much of it was left to me from my late father, and I kept it around for a few years, as a way to sort of have a tangible memory of the good times. I eventually realized that I didn't like the old guitars much, and had better-playing (or sounding) versions of my own. I kept two that he'd owned: a limited-edition Thinline Jaguar that he bought a few months before passing, and a late 90s Carvin TL-60 that he bought years ago, and was his main guitar. I let everything else go; cheap guitars, expensive, classic amps, cabinets and speakers, and pedals. Those two guitars have distinct voices, and play very well. Lots of good memories of that TL-60.

Lack of space came when my son arrived, and I placed things into storage for several years. I realized that I hadn't missed it. I found what I wanted in the Legacy amp, and in a good modeler, so the need for bunches of amps wasn't there anymore. I don't play out except at my church, mostly due to being considered "too old" or "too young," or "not fun" due to not being into drugs/drinking/random hookups. I've been turned down for bands for not tuning "low enough."

So, at the end of the day, I realized more of what I wanted, and I'm still in the phase of letting much of it go. To be honest, having a finality and destination in guitars is very liberating. In all honesty, the Z6X is not exactly where I'd expected to wind up, as I'd panned the shape as "tele" derived when it launched, but looking at it from a function-based minset caused me to realize what I'd been missing with so many other guitars. I think it plays better than the Vader, and is more comfortable. The wood choices just make it look, and smell, beautiful. It's not for everyone; it's a guitar for me. Z is the last letter in the alphabet, so it was fitting. It also has nods to each guitar it replaced in the build, one being my old green DC135T. That guitar went to my father in law, as a "thank you" for helping me out in the past. The day he received it was perfectly timed as he plays at his church, and needed an electric. Plus, he always loved that one.

Sure, it's nice to brag about how many guitars one owns, or amps, or whatever, but at the end of the day, that never defined me, and I found myself unable to use all that I had, or even keep it around. So, what does one do? Do they keep getting a larger place, spending more money to house such things, or let it go, accept reality and that they are extremely blessed to even have these things? I chose the latter.

I'm in the process of downsizing acoustics and bass stuff, too, and will probably grab a Kiesel headless 5 or 6 string bass to sum everything up into one instrument. Nothing special is needed there, as I lean more toward guitar.

I doubt I'll buy more, unless what I have is stolen or destroyed.

Anyway, thanks for the question. It's been fun answering.

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Doug » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:49 am

That's a great story and one that resonates a lot.

I'm in somewhat of the same boat (not really :wink: ). I have quite a few guitars that I really don't play anymore and just about three that I'm jonesing for now.

I really want a nice acoustic, a semi-hollowbody and a basic SCB6. Beyond that....?
facebook.com/hamfistrocks

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:56 am

It's taken a few years to get over the materialism, and I still find myself stumbling at times. It's an easy thing to fall into given so many interested, hobbies, and an incredible amount of ads being thrown at the average American on a daily basis. This is another reason I was drawn to Kiesel; they aren't advertised everywhere, and I like that.

I skipped the semi-hollow entirely, and passed on a Matsumoku-made Epiphone Emperor my dad left me. i leaned toward a Gretsch 5120, and dropped some blacktop Filtertrons in. I think it's a better sounding, and better playing instrument.

I have a cheap Yamaha A1M to pull acoustic duties, but it's actually garnered some love from guys who've played it, and only buy Taylor. Considering i dropped $400 new (with case) for it, I'd call that a solid buy, and it genuinely sounds good.

Neither of those guitars holds a candle to how comfortable the Z6X is, though. That bevel....it may look silly to some, but for someone who's completely torn the ligament holding the ulna to their wrist, and has pain, that silly-looking bevel puts my arm at the proper, pain-free angle. The Vader is close, but the Zeus does it. Everything else feels more like an instrument, and not an extension. Yeah, I've mentioned all this before, but it still floors me.

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Photo Gallery