Arctic Finish in Antique Brown?

Post Pictures of Your Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Gear - No Cowbelling!

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Javaman

Arctic Finish in Antique Brown?

Postby Javaman » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:02 am

Working on the details for a custom Crescent 7 and of all the awesome finishes out there, I've narrowed it down to an Option 50 Arctic finish, but in Antique Brown. The only thing is, I've never seen this before on any Kiesel.

I guess my first question is, can this be done?

Secondly, has anyone ever seen this finish on any Kiesel guitar before? Any examples on the web?

Honestly, just curious what it might look like. I've seen dozens of Arctic finishes, but most of them are blue with a few greens, teal, red, and purple in there as well.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: Arctic Finish in Antique Brown?

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:21 am

Check out Earth. It may not be exactly the same stain or process, but it's similar: a trans color on figured maple that's sanded back around the perimeter, with the BBE/BBEB still stained the full color.

You may already know this, but these are pricey options. I don't remember if they include any other wood upgrades or 3PB option maybe, but I believe these are $600-800 finish options. They are more labor-intensive, and only Jeff does them.

Javaman

Postby Javaman » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:04 pm

That's actually pretty sick.

This one (per the description) is also an earth finish - it looks brown, but then again it might not be - hard to tell from the lighting.

One thing though - is it that the flaming on this one below is thicker than the one above and that's why it looks more distinct? Know what I mean? The flame just looks fatter and it pops more. Or is that something else?

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:47 pm

There are a LOT of reasons these two look different.

The image you posted last is of a headless guitar (Vader). Their bodies are smaller than the one I posted, which is an Aries. So even if they came from two identical pieces of wood, the flame would appear to be proportionately wider on the smaller body. Like how 22" wheels can look tiny on a huge lifted pickup truck, but ridiculously huge on a Geo Metro. Same concept here, just not that extreme. :)

Figuring is also VEEEEEEERY unique from piece to piece, anyway. Their standard grade covers a fairly wide range and honestly...I don't think those two are different enough to even be different grades. They both seem more-than-similar enough to me to be about equal...but also, I think flamed maple has the least dramatic changes from grade to grade, unless you're getting some super unique crotch wood, or the pretty rare "meh" wood (but Jeff also picks the woods for the finishes he does, so he usually picks something good within the grade purchased.

The color/contrast of the image I posted also looks a bit tweaked...or at least it's been compressed from being uploaded, downloaded, and uploaded again, which assuredly takes out some of the complexity/depth of the full-res image.

The Aries is gloss a and photographed on an angle so that the light reflection/glare doesn't blow out the guitar. The Vader you posted is satin, so there's really no reflection to worry about.

That Vader with the cut-off wood on the forearm contour was also only around when the Vader first launched a few years ago. The Aries is likely much newer. They are always evolving their finishes, products and techniques...and with this being a hand-applied finish, it's likely going to have even more variation, because each guitar is going to to be done one-at-a-time, and will be made to how Jeff thinks that one will look best.

It's also possible that one of the two customers paid for an upgraded grade for the figured wood...but honestly, neither one of them are screaming "I'm a much-better 7A!" or something, compared to the other.
Last edited by spudmunkey on Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

jimboshred

Postby jimboshred » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:37 pm

I'm digging the bird's eye fretboard. It really works with this stain.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:40 am

Javaman wrote:Working on the details for a custom Crescent 7 and of all the awesome finishes out there, I've narrowed it down to an Option 50 Arctic finish, but in Antique Brown. The only thing is, I've never seen this before on any Kiesel.

I guess my first question is, can this be done?

Secondly, has anyone ever seen this finish on any Kiesel guitar before? Any examples on the web?

Honestly, just curious what it might look like. I've seen dozens of Arctic finishes, but most of them are blue with a few greens, teal, red, and purple in there as well.

Yes, "Earth" is the brown equivalent you are looking for. They usually do it with a "baked" color Kiesel Treated maple board. But now they are actually roasting maple. So you could do that. Also, you don't have to get a maple board.

Earth is a really cool finish. I think you'd love it.

Javaman

Postby Javaman » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:27 am

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Especially you, spudmunkey - very informative and makes a lot of sense.

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Photo Gallery