Who do you hate ?

Discuss Kiesel Guitars Endorsers and Professional Players

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

gjacob
Gold Member
Gold Member

re: Who do you hate ?

Postby gjacob » Thu May 28, 2015 10:59 am

There's too much hate.

There is music I don't get:
-- Guitarists that play 100 notes a second with no apparent purpose
-- Chugga chugga scream scream
-- Cookie monster rock

There are personalities that make me scratch my head:
-- Yes, Nikki Sixx, we all know you once died
-- Don Henley and Glen Frey - why did you have to speak? Egotistical idiots.
-- Robert Plant killed any chance I had to see Jimmy Page play Zeppelin when he declined a 2015 tour (I was born 10 years too late)

And there are popular guitarists that I'm not into:
-- Edge - take away the delay pedal and you got nothing
-- Slash - annoying leads over Izzy Stradlin's excellent rhythm (except for the November Rain solos)
-- Zakk Wilde - See the 100 notes a second post above.

All that said, there are a ton I respect.
Gear:
'16 Kiesel CS6, '15 Kiesel DC600, '09 Carvin CT4, '78 Ibanez Musician, '95 Fender Am Strat, '98 Gibson Les Paul DC, '05 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser, '07 LTD EC-1000FM, '15 Gretsch G5422, Custom Strat, Custom Iceman, Custom Tele

Koshchei
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: re: Who do you hate ?

Postby Koshchei » Fri May 29, 2015 4:00 pm

GateZ wrote:I can't stand Yngwie as a person his ego is ridiculous and he seems like a total Pr**k, as a musician even he only has his moments with me. I do like some of his songs, I like bits and pieces from the work he did with the orchestras as well but just overall I could do without him. There was a time when my ipod had probably close to 100 songs from him but I just can't stand him anymore. While I admit he is clearly talented, he definitely falls in the category of "overrated".

It's a good thing it seems like this has been limited to guitarists and not all musicians entirely because that list….. Oooooh boy :think:

I met Yngwie in Toronto about 15 years ago. He wasn't a prick at all -- he was a very funny and intelligent guy. Loves Monty Python.

That said, I can't listen to his music anymore. His early stuff I know by muscle memory, and his later stuff is awful (anything post-Alchemy is a soundboard of bits from other Yngwie songs. It's like his fire went right out when he had a son).

We live in a golden age right now. The level of musicianship is just insane -- I can't turn my head without running into crazy inventive music that I'd kill to have written and maim to be able to play. Examples: Tigran Hamasyan, Native Construct, Stimpy Lockjaw, Unexpect, Alkaloid, Marena Whitcher's Shady Midnight Orchestra, etc.

As far as stuff I don't like: Scale the Summit. Letchford is a competent guitarist, but his music is, with a few exceptions (Odyssey is really excellent), unimaginative and bland. Perfect for scaling the 92nd floor in a pulley-actuated metal box.

brento73
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby brento73 » Fri May 29, 2015 8:39 pm

This may have been mentioned(haven't gotten through all the posts), but one of my pet peeves is people who are obsessed with someone else's sound, or with 'vintage' sound in general. I've known too many people who wanted to buy certain gear because, for instance, it's what Hendrix used. Had he lived, god only know what 'ol Jimi would be using now. He might have invented whole new instruments. Rather than just trying to find the 'perfect' gear for the 'perfect' tone, people need to focus on finding themselves.

canon_mutant
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby canon_mutant » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:53 pm

Oh, hate is a bit strong but speaking of Zakk Wylde and Hendrix . . .

What I don't get is Zakk Wylde doing Hendrix [e.g. Hendrix Experience]. The man has amazing dexterity, certainly way more than I do, but I don't get it at all. There is nothing musical about it . . .

Kenny Wayne Shepherd was worth the price of admission amazing though . . . and Buddy Guy, and Doyle Bramhall II, etc. etc.

Then paid a $3 cover charge to see Buddy Whittington play for 2 hours. Almost was sad seeing such a great talent playing mostly covers in a bar but he seems to still be enjoying it . . . and I certainly did :applause:

CudBucket
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby CudBucket » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:28 am

Hate is a strong word. What does get under my skin though are certain YouTube guys who appear to have made a career out of demo'ing gear, yet they can't really play. Tone King is one such guy. I'm sure he's a nice guy but he can barely play and quite frankly, WTF does he know about gear? He's not the only one. Tons of other guys like that.

The other side of the spectrum would be Pete Thorn who is a stellar player who knows everything about the gear he uses and creates amazing demos. Love that guy.

Jazpur
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: re: Who do you hate ?

Postby Jazpur » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:57 am

CudBucket wrote:Hate is a strong word. What does get under my skin though are certain YouTube guys who appear to have made a career out of demo'ing gear, yet they can't really play. Tone King is one such guy. I'm sure he's a nice guy but he can barely play and quite frankly, WTF does he know about gear? He's not the only one. Tons of other guys like that.

The other side of the spectrum would be Pete Thorn who is a stellar player who knows everything about the gear he uses and creates amazing demos. Love that guy.

Yeah, I know what ya mean!!! What's even worse... MUCH worse... is using a crappy recording device like a phone thinking that tells us anything. Waste of everyone's time if not doing it right with a mic. But I don't give a crud 1% if they can't play, in fact I don't want to hear them play, & want to tell them please just do same chords & maybe a lick with different settings... and again, with a MIC or don't do it... you are not helping! and I gotta say, personally I find these metal wannabe hacks are the most depressing examples of the lot. Just a bunch of noise thinking they are good, hiding behind distortion, only impressing each other. Need much more clean tone demo's with the distortion, or more than 1 minute then 5 of distortion. But whatever, mainly just don't TALK too much about opinion's too... & if they must talk, then hopefully it's just to provide basic tech info for the demo ala Pete Thorn, & like you said, unless you have the chops, don't attempt that style of demo using own compositions either! All too often it's labeled as a gear demo, but is clearly their ego needing a boost by either giving their opinions or over-playing. It's supposed to be informative as a sort of community service thing & you, as the demo-er, are irrelevant, but of course in today's celebrity obsessed culture, vanity gets the better of waaay too many. To me they should just make another video of their own tune with that gear vs forcing it with a bait-n-switch during the "gear demo". Then at least it's open as to what it is.
:stir:
STRANGS:'16 A6, '14 CarvinSH65, '14 MM A. Lee SSS, '13 Bishline D. Barnes, '05 Huss & Dalton 000, '97 Martin D-1.

Return to Pro Players